Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #76
cappsie
cappsie began at the beginning.

Device: K4
I had SSH access and was able to access the diag menus successfully at one point. Then it all went wrong.

I would say the device is "Stuck" in debug mode.

Well the screen remains as in the image. When I hold the power button in for 20 seconds, eventually the amber light goes out. When I release the button, the amber light re-lights and nothing else happens. I used the CD and upgraded the firmware as directed but it seems it ruined the Kindle

Ok so you say "Serial cable time." what and how?

I have the USB lead in, but the PC doesn't recognise it.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #77
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay

1) AFAIK Kubrick has never damaged a device.

2) http://jurriaandevos.nl/kindle-4-hac...ial-io-header/

You will need a cable for the job.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #78
cappsie

Wow. Ok so I need the USB to Serial board and I need to solder the serial connection onto the board.

Can I simply use telnet/ssh/PuTTY to connect? Let me know

This seems a challenging project!

A.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #79
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Okay

1) AFAIK Kubrick has never damaged a device.

2) http://jurriaandevos.nl/kindle-4-hac...ial-io-header/

You will need a cable for the job.
1. No, it hasn't. But people are always quick to point their fingers.

The issue is much more likely to be something related to this original post. That was way before Kubrick, and is likely to have caused the problem in the first place. (No, I don't know exactly what one has to do in diags to turn the Kindle into a perma-brick, but I'm pretty sure that it can be done. That's why I've never used any of the scarier actions available there).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #80
cappsie

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get the extra board and cable, though I'm not sure quite what the cable will do if it is completely bricked...
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #81
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
It will show you the output from the board boot sequence.

There are a whole raft of posts on here surrounding such issues.

Hundreds
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #82
cappsie

I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #83
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get the extra board and cable, though I'm not sure quite what the cable will do if it is completely bricked...
While the Linux kernel is running, the serial port is the operators console.

Before that:
It is u-boot's interactive link to the outside world.
**AND** u-boot is in a hardware lock protected partition of flash.
It is unlikely you could brick that.

Before that:
Some of the Freescale SoC's internal firmware can use it for some very basic operations.
**AND** that is part of the SoC's hardware rom.
You can only brick that by melting down the SoC's silicon.

Last edited by knc1; 08-06-2013 at 10:50 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #84
petervf
petervf has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: K4S
K4NT Version: 4.1.3

Ok, it happened and by playing with /etc/init.d/ scripts I finished with "Your Kindle Needs Repair" Luckily the ssh server was still alive and I could login and run the factory_settings.

Originally I did not jailbreak it with any script, just used SSH in diagnostics mode via USBnetwork. and follow this link http://blog.joschika.tk/2012/03/01/k...ssh-over-wifi/ in order to enable the ssh access over wifi

Code:
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc/
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#cp -r /usr/local/ /mnt/base-mmc/usr/
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#sync
then added the
Code:
-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
to
Code:
/mnt/base-mmc/etc/sysconfig/iptables
Rebooted and ... doing this first time I enabled ssh server (dropbear) over WIFI and could work as desired.

Unfortunately, the second time I tried after the "soft debricking" with factory setting it did not work and I cannot enable ssh (dropbear) over WiFi.

The file "USBnet.xml" is in the doc root.

The remote response is: ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.144 port 22: Connection refused

Before I will jailbreak it with a regular KT4NT jealbreak file from https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking maybe someone has an idea what went wrong. I prefer to stick to dropbear and the way how it worked for the first time.

Thank you
P.
petervf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #85
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Probably not, DIY usually means you get to FIY, too .

(These things are finicky, there's a reason we try to make things fit into known boundaries and behaviors. Add a bunch of unknown variables and you make it impossible to psychic debug.).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #86
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by petervf View Post
- - - - -
Maybe someone has an idea what went wrong. I prefer to stick to dropbear and the way how it worked for the first time.

Thank you
P.
Failure to follow directions.

Use Kubrick and start over, then use our add-ins as documented.

You follow directions from another site, get your support and help from that other site.

You make it up as you go along, do the same with the repair, make that up as you go along.
(We support our stuff, not yours nor anyone else's.)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:25 AM   #87
petervf

Quote:
Use Kubrick and start over, then use our add-ins as documented.
You follow directions from another site, get your support and help from that other site.
Thank you for your prompt response!

I didn't immediately want to use click-and-go tool, rather I try to understand how the things work. I was not aware that referring to other sites is unwelcome - sorry.

Anyway again with some time I found why it did not work. Restoring factory settings removed dropbear init script. Solution:
1) It is necessary to recreate it
2) Make it executable (this was missing on the other blog)
3) Link to start sequence

Regards
P.

Last edited by petervf; 11-06-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #88
knc1
Going Viral

It is also documented in the documentation that comes with everyone of our USBnet packages.
Update the OTHER site, You where following their directions, not ours.

If you don't trust us enough to use our packages as intended, then just don't use them at all. Simple.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #89
petervf

@knc1,

Quote:
If you don't trust us enough to use our packages as intended, then just don't use them at all. Simple.
I thought this topic has been closed. I apologized for external linking and potentially breaching your policy. But now, I cannot leave your comment without my short response. It's going to be OT, which potentially breaks the rule again, ban me.

Does your remark mean that the forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=150 is exclusively dedicated to the stuff being developed only by the forum folks?
Does it mean that you reject any other contribution to the know-how sharing being done by anybody outside of this forum?

If I do not want to use one or another tool being developed here, it DOES NOT mean that I do not trust you or in these tools. I'd like to learn, find other ways and share my (modest) know-how. And in this case i did not want to jailbreak. I needed only ssh over wifi. Simple.

Quote:
It is also documented in the documentation that comes with everyone of our USBnet packages.
I'm sorry it is not. It is plug-and-play package. Also the source does not contain documentation how the USBnet integrates into kindle environment.

And a final statement - I'm quite surprised by being welcome in that way on this forum. I kindly asked for support. I did not complain, finally I apologized for an external link and then got a response from a forum guru / senior member saying - get lost with your ridicules simple question and update your wrong sources. This is not how the Linux and open source was built.

And the final final statement.I developed another weather forecast display piece of software, which nicely works on K4NT without servers or any other software such as pngcrush, python etc. I wanted to share it with you, but I'm not sure if this is appreciated here.

Cheers
P.

Last edited by petervf; 11-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Beg to differ.

USBNetwork doesn't have a forum-facing documentation *because* it assumes you know what you're doing, so, instead you get to enjoy a README and check the sources if you're curious as to how it actually works.

Which is precisely why we can't afford to spend time dealing with third-party resources *when it's duplicating our own efforts*: we don't know what the hell might have been done to either the scripts or the documentation (that's if you forget the fact that it'll most often be outdated, or, worse, plain wrong, and mostly unsupported), and it's already hard enough to try to literally come up with explanations out of thin air for our *own* stuff, because of the many and varied ways people will find to break stuff .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-06-2018 at 06:26 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote