Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you change or sell your current iPad to get the iPad3?
Yes 52 37.68%
No 60 43.48%
Maybe, need to see it in action. 26 18.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
I voted no because my iPad 1 does all I need it to do. As long as it continues to work well, I see no need to upgrade. I get so much use out of it, though, that there will definitely continue to be an iPad in my life. I do most of my reading on it, so when my Nook Color and Nook Simple Touch start having problems, I'll think twice about replacing them.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
They've just confirmed the 2048x1536 resolution, so yes, I'll be getting one to replace my iPad 1 as soon as they are available.
(264ppi)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Well....

I read a few articles and blogs from Engadget. I see no reason to upgrade. Actually, is heavier. Maybe for iPad1 users. But for what I need and do, I do not see reason to sell my iPad2.

Basically...

-Faster data connection (thanks I do not want more cellphone bills)
-Better cameras (thanks, I use mine for reading or browse Internet) I have a Canon t2i
-Siri (that stuff never understands my sexy Latin accent, lol)
-Faster CPU (I do not see the reason if I mainly use Kindle for iOS and Safari)

Great time for those waiting to get an iPad2 WiFi though, nice price for a new model: 399.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
-Faster data connection (thanks I do not want more cellphone bills)
-Better cameras (thanks, I use mine for reading or browse Internet) I have a Canon t2i
-Siri (that stuff never understands my sexy Latin accent, lol)
-Faster CPU (I do not see the reason if I mainly use Kindle for iOS and Safari)
None of that would have enticed me to upgrade, but the double ppi should be fantastic for comics and magazines, and nicer for books.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just returned my iPad2; I'll probably order a three in a while. Need to wait for the refund to show up on my credit card first .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gosh! tight poll... 7,7,7 ... hahaha... gonna play lottery with that number ...
Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Need to wait for the refund to show up on my credit card first .
Wise man!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
None of that would have enticed me to upgrade, but the double ppi should be fantastic for comics and magazines, and nicer for books.
I can see people needing a faster CPU or those fancy cameras (you will look funny taking pictures though, lol) but for what I do, it is not enough.

However, for those without an iPad and looking for a nice reader on a tablet form factor, this could be a good choice.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Same here. I really only use the iPad for comics/manga, anyway, and some occasional web browsing. For books, I'll stick to my PRS-350, thanks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I'm getting the iPad 3 & giving my wife the iPad 2 & the kids her iPad 1. Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #26
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
...but the double ppi should be fantastic for comics and magazines, and nicer for books.
For the higher pixels to work for comics and magazines, wouldn't the resolution of said documents need to be that high (1536x2048 at least) to make a difference? Given that, wouldn't the file sizes involved eat up memory at a rapid pace?

Short of throwing down the extra cash for the highest memory available (64GB), users with high quality graphics on their comics and magazines would be switching out document files constantly. Personally, I would rather have an SD/SDHC socket.

Or am I missing something very basic?

Note: I do not use an iPad currently, but my daughter has one of her own. I am currently reading my comics/books on a Nook Color.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
For the higher pixels to work for comics and magazines, wouldn't the resolution of said documents need to be that high (1536x2048 at least) to make a difference?
No, it would simply need to be higher than the 1024x768 resolution of the current screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
For the higher pixels to work for comics and magazines, wouldn't the resolution of said documents need to be that high (1536x2048 at least) to make a difference? Given that, wouldn't the file sizes involved eat up memory at a rapid pace?

Short of throwing down the extra cash for the highest memory available (64GB), users with high quality graphics on their comics and magazines would be switching out document files constantly. Personally, I would rather have an SD/SDHC socket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it would simply need to be higher than the 1024x768 resolution of the current screens.
This. Resolution of a lot of comics is already higher than the current 768x1024 available on the iPad 2 so there should be a noticeable difference on those. I do believe I actually have manga scans close to that resolution. File sizes are at around 80~200MB per volume. Yes, I pre-ordered the 64GB model (would have even spent extra for 128GB if one were available). I would like support for an external card slot but this is Apple we're talking about so I doubt we'll see it.

I do think I'll move to an Android tablet eventually (eying the upcoming ASUS Transformer). Unfortunately, while apps for smartphones have caught up, apps designed for Android tablets are still lagging behind the iPad.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
I have waited 3 generations to buy -- now I invest.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I've been reading, if you have an iPad 1, go ahead and upgrade. If you have an iPad 2, don't bother.

That's the same thing said about upgrading an iPad 1 to and iPad 2.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-07-2012 at 07:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad3