Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #1606
BNoir
BNoir began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92 (Black Pearl edition)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Try to update using MFG Tool: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...50_UPDATER.rar
Instruction is inside of archiv. Don't forget to backup your content - MFG tools installation formates the internal memory, so everything will be deleted.
Hi everyone,

Does MFG tools work under windows 7 ? Everytime I tried to configur the USB ports the program crashes, and I don't have any machine running windows XP
BNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #1607
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Same problem on a Win8 computer, but it's ok for me with a Win7.
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #1608
maxlauhk
Enthusiast
maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.maxlauhk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx BOOX T68, M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNoir View Post
Hi everyone,

Does MFG tools work under windows 7 ? Everytime I tried to configur the USB ports the program crashes, and I don't have any machine running windows XP
Same for me. I am not an advanced user but I fixed it by unistalling my NX Machine Player (I check device manager and find this programe host my usb ports). Search "mfgtool usb" on google, you might be lucky to find a solution that fits you.

Last edited by maxlauhk; 12-15-2013 at 05:55 PM.
maxlauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #1609
BNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlauhk View Post
Same for me. I am not an advanced user but I fixed it by unistalling my NX Machine Player (I check device manager and find this programe host my usb ports). Search "mfgtool usb" on google, you might be lucky to find a solution that fits you.
Seems to be related to USB 3 drivers. I managed to make mfg work but know have the same problem as mentioned above Updater Error 0xffff0000 (-65536) I guess I will also have to sleep over that problem
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1610
BNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNoir View Post
Seems to be related to USB 3 drivers. I managed to make mfg work but know have the same problem as mentioned above Updater Error 0xffff0000 (-65536) I guess I will also have to sleep over that problem
Finally worked... had to play around with disabling USB 3 host controller and changing usb ports

Advert
Old 12-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #1611
Dawe84
Dawe84 began at the beginning.

2013-12-04-update - some critical coments

Hello,
I would like to share some comments on the last firmware update for M92.
I feel disappointments about some features. Although the July update solved some bugs, the last update put them back.

First problem is Office reader. Scrolling at the end of page, I cannot turn to next page, it is impossible. This problem was solved by July update, but it is back now.

The second problem is organization of Font menu (reflow). July update brought in another scale (I think from 25 % to 600 % by 25-50 %) and option customize reflow (free number from 100 to 800 %). On the other hand, zooming by joystick was canceled. Zoom by joystick was brought back by the new update, but other negative things brought back. There is once again scale from 100 to 340 % by 10 % without customization. Fortunately, higher reflow is possible, but the percentage is not displayed.

The last update brought some new functions. Multitasking work well and is very useful.
New margins settings under page settings are very interesting; however, further improvement is necessary. I don't know what is different between universal manual and odd even margins. Configuring universal manual margins and scrolling at the bottom of the page, I cannot turn on next page or scrolling by joystick at the bottom of the page, I have to use forward key, it does mot display top of the next page but only the bottom of next page. The view is not correct, the text is moved to the right margin with empty space on the left. Move of margins is perfect but as I an writing, application is worse. In scanned pdf documents, it is very difficult to configure margins because these can differ at each page.

I have some wishes for next updates. You should improve work with scanned PDF documents. I understand, there is impossible to make annotations. However, we have multitasking, what is ideal to open some note taking application simultaneously with scanned document and write down then own notes. This application is missing.

I would like to see option "to content" or "to text" displaying the text on full screen without margins om the basis of text recognition. I cannot use glyph embolden option during reflow, I have to go to basic size, embolden and then reflow and increase the size.

I am visually impaired so I would welcome larger font in system menus and lists of applications and documents.

This is all for now. Have you got same experience? Could you please give me advice with some of these problems?
Dawe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #1612
nixalsverdrus
nixalsverdrus began at the beginning.

Hello,

I'm going to have an M92 for Christmas, so I was wondering if there is any way to get Cisco VPN client running on it. This software is a very common VPN client at german uniersities, so this "feature" would be immensely important for many people. Because I don't see a different way to connect to my uni's free WLAN, I'd appreciate it very much.
Has anyone tried it out? Any hints on how to try myself are also welcome.

Thx in advance and for this great forum,
nixalsverdrus
nixalsverdrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #1613
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Initial Feedback on December 2013 M92 Firmware Update

Hi Booxtor,

I've installed the December 2013 firmware update on my M92 and initially it looks very nice. For reading .pdf documents it's nice to finally have the universal page and odd/even page modes. Using the handles to set the margin is one of my favorite features.

I've also noticed the .pdf e-books open faster with this version, which I think may be related to the addition of the multitasking feature. I've also noticed the highlighting in .pdf documents works a lot smoother than in the past and it's a lot easier to get the highlighting to go where you want it to.

Finally, I've done some work with the .epub e-books in the .pdf reader and it looks promising. The hyperlinks work, I haven't tried one yet that points to the Internet.

I do have one request for the .epub e-books in the .pdf reader. Would it be possible to have some way to control the margins either as with .pdf documents or the same way as in CoolReader, which I have not tested yet. CoolReader has problems with reading .epub e-books that are on memory cards.

I'll do some more testing in a couple of days and provide more specific feedback. Hope you're having a Merry Christmas with your family...7 kids, you must have a "corporate account" with Santa!
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #1614
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
..7 kids, you must have a "corporate account" with Santa!
Bwar har har har HAAAA!!! Good one!

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #1615
fatran
fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.fatran can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
...7 kids, you must have a "corporate account" with Santa!
:-)
Waldemar, merry Christmass to you and your family.

I just comment on a bugs recently encountered in booxtor's update 2013-12-04:

1. Coolreader doesn't have menu item for task list.

2. Coolreader crashes on 17th opening of the same .epub file. (I have tried it with several different epub books on my SD card.) It is old bug. If you are not able to open epub book, you must delete the cache file of the .epub file in Internal memory (/media/flash/cr3/cache/...).
fatran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #1616
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatran View Post
:-)
2. Coolreader crashes on 17th opening of the same .epub file. (I have tried it with several different epub books on my SD card.) It is old bug. If you are not able to open epub book, you must delete the cache file of the .epub file in Internal memory (/media/flash/cr3/cache/...).
They just need to update coolreader engine to fix it. I mean it is already fixed in the current engine version whereas onyx uses some old one.

Last edited by pkbo; 12-26-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarified my point :)
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #1617
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Hi Booxtor,

I've installed the December 2013 firmware update on my M92 and initially it looks very nice. For reading .pdf documents it's nice to finally have the universal page and odd/even page modes. Using the handles to set the margin is one of my favorite features.

I've also noticed the .pdf e-books open faster with this version, which I think may be related to the addition of the multitasking feature. I've also noticed the highlighting in .pdf documents works a lot smoother than in the past and it's a lot easier to get the highlighting to go where you want it to.

Finally, I've done some work with the .epub e-books in the .pdf reader and it looks promising. The hyperlinks work, I haven't tried one yet that points to the Internet.

I do have one request for the .epub e-books in the .pdf reader. Would it be possible to have some way to control the margins either as with .pdf documents or the same way as in CoolReader, which I have not tested yet. CoolReader has problems with reading .epub e-books that are on memory cards.

I'll do some more testing in a couple of days and provide more specific feedback. Hope you're having a Merry Christmas with your family...7 kids, you must have a "corporate account" with Santa!
Re: highlighting in PDF documents--is that going faster after a 10-15 pages with highlights? What I noticed with that feature is that as you advance in your reading and your document accumulates more highlights the highlighting becomes very slow. That would be noticeable after 10-15 page with 10 highlights each. It becomes so slow that it is unusable and it lags behind. The highlight appears long after you raised your pen from the screen.

Re: scribles -have they added support for straight lines or underlining? That would be required if the highlighting continues to lag

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #1618
kuni_zdenek
kuni_zdenek began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Hello everybody, I have been playing a bit with my new M92 (preloaded with Booxtor's 2013.12.04 FW). Although very impressed by the features included in the device (thanks to all developers!) I would have some comments for possible further enhancement.

First of all, the dictionary search engine seems to be quite poor in sense that in case it does not find exactly the requested word it usually finds a word that is lexicographically much "further" from the requested word than an another entry included in the dictionary: for example, an inquiry for "experimentally" finds an entry "expert" even though an entry "experimental" is included (I could post tens of other examples).

My next note concerns the dictionary plugin that can be opened while reading a book. When selecting a word from text the translation appears in the window. It would be very helpful if also the translated word appeared since it happens quite often that the translated word is very different from the one selected in text (cf my example above). When this happens one needs to open the full dictionary app everytime the translation does not make sense. It would be also nice if turning pages is possible while having the dict plugin open.

The third and last note about the dictionary is when in the full dictionary app one translates a word and opens a list of similar words (three coins icon or whatever it is) only the entry found by the search engine and a list of entries BEHIND that word appears. Since there is no scrolling option one can not see an entry JUST BEFORE the found word (which is very often the one that one is looking for). In my opinion, it would be much better if the found word is in the middle of the screen while showing closest words in both directions.

As a student of foreign languages I would be also happy if there is a music player plugin that could be opened and operated while reading a document (to listen what I read, otherwise I do not see a point of using my ereader as an mp3 player).

All in all, I am still a bit struggling with all the zooming options and some of them I can not figure out how they work.. is there a place where all the options are well explained? I have been doing some research and just found a little but no comprehensive documentation.

Thank you and happy New Year to all readers!
kuni_zdenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #1619
nixalsverdrus
nixalsverdrus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni_zdenek View Post
All in all, I am still a bit struggling with all the zooming options and some of them I can not figure out how they work.. is there a place where all the options are well explained? I have been doing some research and just found a little but no comprehensive documentation.
I'm having the same problem, it's quite hard to figure out what those zooming options do. E.g., I don't really understand those margin functions. A detailed manual would really be great.

Here: http://ereader-store.de/de/content/8-downloads it says that a manual is in progress. Booxtor, any guess when it will be finished?

Thx, nixalsverdrus
nixalsverdrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #1620
Etoja
Etoja began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92, PocketBook Pro 912, Kindle 3
December 2013 M92 Firmware Update Impressions

Hello. After upgrading to the new update I discovered that the names of the files in Russian turned into gibberish. Nothing happened after the restart - the gibberish's still there. While switching the system language into Russian the same gibberish appears under the system panel icons.
Some pdf files crash while trying to open them.
Downgrading to the previous version sorted out the problem with Russian file names - now they are represented correctly.
Etoja is offline   Reply With Quote