Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Yet another TOC question

I was making an epub and at around 60 TOC entries, Sigil refused to take any more.

Are there TOC entry limits. If so, does anybody know what they are. I need about two hundred or so and was wondering if there are any work arounds (multiple levels maybe)?

Thanks and regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I was making an epub and at around 60 TOC entries, Sigil refused to take any more.

Are there TOC entry limits. If so, does anybody know what they are. I need about two hundred or so and was wondering if there are any work arounds (multiple levels maybe)?

Are you sure?
I did a book that the Roman numerals exceeded CXXX (130 for the roman challenged )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:

It happens to me all the time, I have to either A.) open a new page and go back to the previous one and do it, or B.) manually add the tags to every other page
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Afaik there is no real limit. In Sigil I made more than 90 chapters without problems which also works. That was some releases ago, but I can imagine there is a limit now.
Are all the chapters in one file or have you split the file into separate files for each chapter?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to clarify.
Those 130+ items in a TOC wer h3's split amoung h2 "parts", not 130+ h3's under a single H2
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all-
After ducks made his first reply I went back and took another look. Let me explain what I was doing.

My wife has been keeping a record of the books she has read; so that she doesn't acquire books she has already read. She created a text file by author. I sorted it with PSPad and converted it to epub via Calibre. This gave me one file with many lines (about 300 authors and 2,000 books). I started down the list putting the cursor in front of he author and clicking h3. I got to somewhere between 60 and 65 when it refused to to go any further. After trying retyping and hand coding etc. I gave op and sent the original message. Thats history.

The project is now finished and is alive and well on a Sony PRS-350.

I started with a fresh epub file and first broke it up into the A-B's C-D's etc. I then assigned the appropriate h2 title and and proceeded as above. When I was done the largest page had 46 authors. (books don't count )

I still have the file that was giving me problems so I might go back and see if there is a limit or here was something wrong with the file. Right now the wife is happy - therefore so am I.

I want to thank all for the help!

Regards - John

P.S. Now the wife wants her address book on her Sony. Maybe I'll find time for some of my projects one of these days.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

60 chapters in a single file is a wee bit excessive

Sigil split that (at 50) and you are good to go for another 50.

I don't think TOC was intended to be used like that.

You might look a Calibre (you can create a book-less "library" from an ISBN list. what I do for my dead tree collection) .
There is a "Catalog" that can be built out of the meta-data.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
60 chapters in a single file is a wee bit excessive

Whew! I'm glad that is only a "wee bit".

Sigil split that (at 50) and you are good to go for another 50.

I don't think TOC was intended to be used like that.

If it can't be pushed, you can count on me to pull.

You might look a Calibre (you can create a book-less "library" from an ISBN list. what I do for my dead tree collection) .
There is a "Catalog" that can be built out of the meta-data.
I played with it awhile but was never able to get the output I wanted and finally gave up since I really didn't need it. However, Calibre is great for keeping my eBooks and will probably become more useful when I get around to getting familiar with regex.

BTW, do you know how to keep a <hx title statement from creating a blank line? I finally added a style=font-size:0 and that did it (well almost), but that can't be the proper way to do it.

Regards - John
Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I played with it awhile but was never able to get the output I wanted and finally gave up since I really didn't need it. However, Calibre is great for keeping my eBooks and will probably become more useful when I get around to getting familiar with regex.

BTW, do you know how to keep a <hx title statement from creating a blank line? I finally added a style=font-size:0 and that did it (well almost), but that can't be the proper way to do it.

Regards - John
make a no_height class in the stylesheet (code not tested)
Code:
h2.no_height {
margin: 0;
padding: 0
}
and assign
class="no_height" to those headers

Last edited by theducks; 01-23-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
make a no_height class in the stylesheet (code not tested)
Code:
h2.no_height {
margin: 0;
padding: 0
}
and assign
class="no_height" to those headers
That worked although "padding: 0" wasn't needed. But another strange thing happened.

When I converted the text file to epub there was a class=calibre that I think Sigil, at some point, inserted in its normal <body style="">. When that statement was missing I got the "almost" to the top. The active statement was "margin-top:0".

Life is confusing. Just when I think I'm getting things sorted out this happens. Why does a "margin:0", which I did not know existed until you told me, be dependent on an earlier "margin-top:0" to function. BTW, neither can be omitted nor can they be exchanged. Go figure!

Regards - John
Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That worked although "padding: 0" wasn't needed. But another strange thing happened.

When I converted the text file to epub there was a class=calibre that I think Sigil, at some point, inserted in its normal <body style="">. When that statement was missing I got the "almost" to the top. The active statement was "margin-top:0".

Life is confusing. Just when I think I'm getting things sorted out this happens. Why does a "margin:0", which I did not know existed until you told me, be dependent on an earlier "margin-top:0" to function. BTW, neither can be omitted nor can they be exchanged. Go figure!

Regards - John
Margin: 0 is a shorthand for All margins (top,right,bottom,left) to the same value (in this case 0), otherwise, you may need to set either/and Margin-bottom and margin-top
Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Margin: 0 is a shorthand for All margins (top,right,bottom,left) to the same value (in this case 0), otherwise, you may need to set either/and Margin-bottom and margin-top
I did not define h2 as it's own box(block), so outer styles are inherited.
Inserting display: block;into the style may settle things out.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
when I got into this blank line at top issue I discovered that h tags default to block and html block is defined as having space above & below.

so you're gonna have to over-rule those defaults somehow.

For my Kindle, I just accepted that it really really wanted to show space above chapter headings & let it do that.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
I did not define h2 as it's own box(block), so outer styles are inherited.
Inserting display: block;into the style may settle things out.
Thanks for the help ducks! I now know more about this stuff than I understand.

This where I ended up, and intend to stay:
.nolines{display:inline}
<body class="nolines"
<h3 class="nolines"
Both have to be there.

Regards - John
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for the help ducks! I now know more about this stuff than I understand.

This where I ended up, and intend to stay:
.nolines{display:inline}
<body class="nolines"
<h3 class="nolines"
Both have to be there.

Regards - John
Is there some stray <p>&nbsp;</p> or similar between the <body> and the first <h#> ? (or <div> or <br /> )
That just isn't right