Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
pindakaasmetmayo
pindakaasmetmayo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Modifying reading stats

Hello, I have a problem with my reading stats (Glo HD). It says I read 20 books, but it is 12 books. How do I fix that? Please in dummy language . Thank you in advance for the help! It is driving me crazy.

Last edited by pindakaasmetmayo; 05-17-2016 at 05:10 AM.
pindakaasmetmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What exactly are you looking at? The books finished in the reading stats page is based on exactly that. It is reading a database table for "finished book" events. There is no way to get these entries into the table except to finish a book. And that is done by turning pages to the last page and then turning one more. Removing the book after finishing it does not reduce the count of finished books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:39 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If you want to find the number of books currently on the device that are marked as finished (usually different to the number that the stats show as finished, because the stats include books that have been read and deleted, and don't include ones that were just marked finished without actually being read to the end) one way is to set the library filter to Show: Finished and work it out from the library page count.

e.g. on my Glo the library shows 5 books per page in list mode, so the number of finished books is 5 times the page count less the number of missing books on the last page.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-18-2016 at 02:45 AM. Reason: usually different to the number that the stats show as finished ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
pindakaasmetmayo

Well yes I know that obviously. Because the number of books finished is 12 and the number of books the stats say I finished is 20. I don't own the ereader for that long and I never remove books after I've finished them, so that is not it.

So the problem is that there are 12 finished books in my library and that there are 20 books read according to the reading stats. It is so annoying!
Old 08-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindakaasmetmayo View Post
Well yes I know that obviously. Because the number of books finished is 12 and the number of books the stats say I finished is 20. I don't own the ereader for that long and I never remove books after I've finished them, so that is not it.

So the problem is that there are 12 finished books in my library and that there are 20 books read according to the reading stats. It is so annoying!
Easiest way to get rid of the annoyance is to long press the reading stats tile and then press dismiss.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only thing I can think is that the read count in the statistics is not the number of books read on the device. It is closer to being the number of books read by the account. If you read a books using the same account on the iOS or Android apps, they should be counted.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The only thing I can think is that the read count in the statistics is not the number of books read on the device. It is closer to being the number of books read by the account. If you read a books using the same account on the iOS or Android apps, they should be counted.
Hmmm...that implies that the statistics are stored in the cloud, not only on the device. In that case, a factory reset would not cause statistics to be lost.

Is that really what happens? I was under the impression that a factory reset would cause the loss of all statistics.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmmm...that implies that the statistics are stored in the cloud, not only on the device. In that case, a factory reset would not cause statistics to be lost.

Is that really what happens? I was under the impression that a factory reset would cause the loss of all statistics.
Some of the stats are stored on the Kobo servers. But, it is only for purchased kepubs and I don't think it is as detailed as what the device generates as you read. If you do a factory reset, after the setup it should show how many purchased kepubs you have finished and the number of hours you have spent reading them.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Some of the stats are stored on the Kobo servers. But, it is only for purchased kepubs and I don't think it is as detailed as what the device generates as you read. If you do a factory reset, after the setup it should show how many purchased kepubs you have finished and the number of hours you have spent reading them.
Ah...that makes sense. Unfortunately the vast majority of my books aren't purchased from Kobo, so it won't help.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I think if you "finish" a side loaded book multiple times, it counts it each time.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I think if you "finish" a side loaded book multiple times, it counts it each time.
That's not been my experience. And testing it just now, it didn't happen.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My experience is that after finishing a sideloaded ebook, re-reading does not increment the books read. I've done this often when I've re-read older books in a series after a new book in the series is released.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #13
pindakaasmetmayo

Quote:
Yes, this is what I did. Somehow the books that I read didn't count well and so I finished them again (by flipping one page past the last page) and then they did count well and now those 8 extra books are counter double. I don't buy books from kobo and I don't read at another device.

At first it worked when I didn't flip further than the last page and just pressed the closed book longer and selected finished. It didn't count to my reading statistics. I thought if I read 8 more books and select them as finished then the reading stats will be lined up again. Unfortunately it stopped working. Don't know why. But that is why I replied again.

Is it possible to modify the number in a sort of 'dos' language or something? Like in the core of the device.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #14
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindakaasmetmayo View Post
Yes, this is what I did. Somehow the books that I read didn't count well and so I finished them again (by flipping one page past the last page) and then they did count well and now those 8 extra books are counter double. I don't buy books from kobo and I don't read at another device.

At first it worked when I didn't flip further than the last page and just pressed the closed book longer and selected finished. It didn't count to my reading statistics. I thought if I read 8 more books and select them as finished then the reading stats will be lined up again. Unfortunately it stopped working. Don't know why. But that is why I replied again.

Is it possible to modify the number in a sort of 'dos' language or something? Like in the core of the device.
My understanding is that this is all tracked in the KoboReader.sqlite database in the Activity and/or Events tables somehow. You could try modifying it there, but the risk is breaking/corrupting the database.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you delete a finished book, it will still count for the number of books finished. If you sideload it again and finish it again, it will probably be counted twice. If you update a finished book, the Kobo will take it as a different book, you'll still have one book finished, but the new book will not appear in the list of finished books: if you read it past the last page, you'll have two finished books again.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote