Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #76
szlevi
Enthusiast
szlevi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62 HD
Hello!

I tested Onyx Boox C65HD After Glow today in a store. (I'm just an everyday user, not more). It was disappointing for me.
The contrast of the screen was much worse than the one which i62HD (not Firefly, which I have not seen) has, which I've owned for a year.
Google Play is not supported, so you have to "sideload" .apk format software.
You can't switch between refresh modes. There's a default setting.
So I won't buy that.
The screen problem might be because of the light layer. (I'm not an expert.) There's a version of the device which does not contain frontlight. That may be better. (It's not sold in my country.)
Greetings,
Szlevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemood View Post
Hi,

I'm considering the c65 afterglow.

In your experiences, is Artatech a trustworthy store ?

Greetings.
szlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #77
inthemood
Zealot
inthemood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Forma 32G
Thank you for the input szlevi. I'll turn to the T68 instead and wait to hear how that is.
Greetings.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM   #78
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by szlevi View Post
Hello!

I tested Onyx Boox C65HD After Glow today in a store. (I'm just an everyday user, not more). It was disappointing for me.
The contrast of the screen was much worse than the one which i62HD (not Firefly, which I have not seen) has, which I've owned for a year.
So I won't buy that.
The screen problem might be because of the light layer. (I'm not an expert.) There's a version of the device which does not contain frontlight. That may be better. (It's not sold in my country.)
Greetings,
Szlevi
I also testee one unit Tagus Lux Spanish distributor and indeed, apart from the poor quality of the front lighting, light greatly reduces the native contrast of the screen.
Another problem is the high intensity of illumination, even adjusting at least bothers reading.

To which we must add that the response of the touch screen is quite poor, worse than Firefly IR.

Greetings
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #79
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
I also testee one unit Tagus Lux Spanish distributor and indeed, apart from the poor quality of the front lighting, light greatly reduces the native contrast of the screen.
Another problem is the high intensity of illumination, even adjusting at least bothers reading.

To which we must add that the response of the touch screen is quite poor, worse than Firefly IR.

Greetings
It seems Casa del Libro (Spanish customized versions of Onyx) are production discards. Most annoying problem with light seems a hardware bug in some resistors for the light control that makes impossible put light in la lower level.

Other problems came from their firmware, that is customized from a very old Onyx version.

Basically "Tagus" brand from Casa del Libro are some kind of wannabe but nothing more.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #80
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
But you, rfog, are talking about first generation Tagus Lux that's a rebranded Onyx i62 Firefly, don't you?

Edit: and fraylocus is talking about 2nd generation Tagus Lux that's a rebranded C65ML doesn't he?

Last edited by Manolo; 01-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #81
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
But you, rfog, are talking about first generation Tagus Lux that's a rebranded Onyx i62 Firefly, don't you?

Edit: and fraylocus is talking about 2nd generation Tagus Lux that's a rebranded C65ML doesn't he?
Yes, I'm talking about first version. However it seems C65ML is even worse due low contrast with light on.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #82
szlevi
Enthusiast

Even when the light turned off, the contrast is so poor.
Remember that it's not a Tagus product but an original Onyx! So the problem is more general.

Quote:
Hello!

So I won't buy that.
Greetings,
Szlevi
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #83
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx BOOX Page, inkBOOK Onyx & Obsidian & Calypso+ (Android ;)
Reading your posts I get the impression that you're talking about a different reader than I have
I had formerly Onyx Boox i62 and in some sense understand certain prejudices.

Quote:
Contrast is good, maybe bad impression does slightly darker background than the Pearl screens . On the other hand, black is more black - in a good light very comfortable screen reading .
In environments with poor lighting, additional lighting switch (long press the back key) works perfectly. In a completely dark place (night in a room without light), lighting is not too bright when set to 2-20%.

Quote:
Install applications downloaded from the internet (not Google Play) is very easy. For me, in the reader work flawlessly: AlReader, Color Dict, Dropbox, Opera, Pocket, Mail, Total Commander and a few others - and so this is too much for a reader e-books

Quote:
Refresh mode is changing very easily on the top in the system bar - you simply point to the circle on the right side. If the circle is empty, then we have the usual refresh, if in the circle is "A2" we have a fast, smooth refreshing (in which black is not so very black, there is also a little ghosting, but you can play animations ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Yes, I'm talking about first version. However it seems C65ML is even worse due low contrast with light on.
No, on the contrary, when the illuminator is turned on, the contrast is even better than without. Lighting brightens the background and does not show through the black.
I see that you were in the hands of many readers, it would be good if you saw with your own eyes also this model, not to invent nonsense.

Quote:
Even when the light turned off, the contrast is so poor.
Remember that it's not a Tagus product but an original Onyx! So the problem is more general.
Remind yourself, whether in the circle at the top of the screen was not the symbol "A2" ?
If someone switched on the fast refresh mode, it could be worse contrast ...
What to cheaper clones Onyx C65, ie readers Tagus, they could be mounted another series / batch e-ink screens than in the AfterGlow.

On the Polish readers forum (http://forum.eksiazki.org/post108942.html#p108942), there are a few (fairly dark) images showing the reader C65 against the common book (paper). is there any comparison ...
Here is an example:
A little big picture, so the link.

[Image size violates posting guidelines - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Anavim; 02-17-2014 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Link for big picture.
Anavim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #84
szlevi
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anavim View Post
Reading your posts I get the impression that you're talking about a different reader than I have
I had formerly Onyx Boox i62 and in some sense understand certain prejudices.

Contrast is good, maybe bad impression does slightly darker background than the Pearl screens . On the other hand, black is more black - in a good light very comfortable screen reading .
In environments with poor lighting, additional lighting switch (long press the back key) works perfectly. In a completely dark place (night in a room without light), lighting is not too bright when set to 2-20%.

Install applications downloaded from the internet (not Google Play) is very easy. For me, in the reader work flawlessly: AlReader, Color Dict, Dropbox, Opera, Pocket, Mail, Total Commander and a few others - and so this is too much for a reader e-books

Refresh mode is changing very easily on the top in the system bar - you simply point to the circle on the right side. If the circle is empty, then we have the usual refresh, if in the circle is "A2" we have a fast, smooth refreshing (in which black is not so very black, there is also a little ghosting, but you can play animations ).

No, on the contrary, when the illuminator is turned on, the contrast is even better than without. Lighting brightens the background and does not show through the black.
I see that you were in the hands of many readers, it would be good if you saw with your own eyes also this model, not to invent nonsense.

Remind yourself, whether in the circle at the top of the screen was not the symbol "A2" ?
If someone switched on the fast refresh mode, it could be worse contrast ...
What to cheaper clones Onyx C65, ie readers Tagus, they could be mounted another series / batch e-ink screens than in the AfterGlow.

On the Polish readers forum (http://forum.eksiazki.org/post108942.html#p108942), there are a few (fairly dark) images showing the reader C65 against the common book (paper). is there any comparison ...
Here is an example:

[Image size violates posting guidelines - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-16-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #85
feliciano
feliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of lightfeliciano is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite2
@Anavim (also anyone else who might have the device C65 Afterglow) - What about the PDF margins? Can the margins be set to zero so that the PDF reaches the sides of the screen?

Also, is response time and page turn fast?

Is the frontlight as bad as in the photo on this thread?

Thanks!
feliciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 AM   #86
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciano View Post
Can the margins be set to zero so that the PDF reaches the sides of the screen?
Yes, margins in PDF can be set by cut (automatic) or by two points (manually). In addition to this is obviously a very good reflow mode.

Quote:
Also, is response time and page turn fast?
Yes, incomparably faster than the i62. FBReader and CoolReader show the new page immediately. The same AlReader.

Quote:
Is the frontlight as bad as in the photo on this thread?
Not bad at all. Shadows on the bottom of the screen reaching 3-5 mm from the edge. The rest of the screen is evenly and thoroughly brightened.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #87
talizh
Enthusiast
talizh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Another question to anyone who owns the C65. How does it handle annotations? If you annotate (especially highlight) in reflow mode, can you view these annotations on the desktop without any problem. This is not the case with the current Onyx readers because when you merge the PDF the highlights come out blurry and off-target.

Better yet, does the C65 do away with the 'merge' step altogether?

Any other information on how the device handles annotating (in reflow and outside of it) would be great. Thank you!
talizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #88
Anavim
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talizh View Post
Any other information on how the device handles annotating (in reflow and outside of it) would be great.
The Boox C65 does not have handwritten annotations in PDF files.
Unless you install an additional application for Android, which will have such features.

However, there is possibility to select pieces of text (long press) and annotating using the onscreen keyboard. It works not only in PDF (in both modes), but also in all supported formats, such as: epub, mobi, fb2, rtf, etc.
Additionally, if you use the CoolReader, in addition to annotations, you can send a selected piece of text to the clipboard, or other applications such as Pocket, Dropbox, email, etc.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #89
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Interesting facts about the different versions of the C65 (5 and 8 leds):

http://translate.google.es/translate...-text=&act=url

The conclusion is that the 8 LEDs version is much better. Especially on the touch screen response.

Tests conducted to backup firmware and compatibility with both versions of the C65.

http://translate.google.es/translate...-text=&act=url

Much remains to investigate and improve on this reader.
I discovered is valid for the T68 & I68, which share some of the hard and do not know if the C65 and marketed two versions: A better and another worse.

Traders appear shortly here and is good to be prepared to ask questions.

Regards -.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #90
fraylocus
Groupie

Another issue to consider is that the support for the IVONA TTS is limited.
You can install the voices you want, but the only work mentioned in OnyxTTS:
Code:
" private static final String mSupportedLanguages[][] = {
{
"deu", "DEU", "libvoice_de_marlene", "vox_de_marlene22v", "marlene", ""
}, {
"deu", "DEU", "libvoice_de_hans", "vox_de_hans22v", "hans", ""
}, {
"eng", "GBR", "libvoice_en_gb_amy", "vox_en_gb_amy22v", "amy", ""
}, {
"eng", "GBR", "libvoice_en_gb_brian", "vox_en_gb_brian22v", "brian", ""
}, {
"rus", "RUS", "libvoice_ru_tatyana", "vox_ru_tatyana22v", "tatyana", ""
}, {
"pol", "POL", "libvoice_pl_agnieszka", "vox_pl_agnieszka22v", "agnieszka", ""
}
};"
Knowing how the Onyx software design, it is quite likely that subsequent models like the T68, M96 and i68 come to market with the same limitation.

Regards -.