Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
mcmay
mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle DXG, iPad2, SAMSUNG NOTE II
Wink Free discussion: how strong is the kindle keyboard?

I might just be curious to ask how strong the kindle keyboard can be. But, for me and maybe for many others who use kindle a lot not so much for reading books as for writing codes of a certain programming language on various terminals, it becomes necessary that the kindle keyboard be strong and durable enough to receive an infinite number and variety of presses. The chances are that the keyboard will, like the keyboard of PCs or Laptops, break down some day which, believably, may come sooner than expected. Therefore, the question of durability becomes important. I'd like to request those who have had more and longer experience with this wonderous device (it indeed is) to share your experience of using the kindle keyboard. What if it eventually breaks down and beceoms unable to deliver the presses it receives? Can the keyboard be repaired or replaced with a new one?

Last edited by mcmay; 07-19-2013 at 05:36 AM.
mcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Keyboard failures on the KK are relatively commonplace - it's not intended for continual typing; more for occasional use in searching, annotation, etc.

The "soft" keyboard on the touch-screen Kindles is probably a lot more durable. No moving parts to go wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Keyboard failures on the KK are relatively commonplace - it's not intended for continual typing; more for occasional use in searching, annotation, etc.
In general, I agree. This isn't a programming or data-entry device.

If the O.P. is asking about their DXG - -
That model is built like a rock, and probably has a longer keyboard life than the other keyboard models.

On the downside -
It is now long out of production.

You might be able to get an idea about how replaceable the keyboard is from one of the teardowns:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DX%2...ndex#Teardowns

If that looks possible, you might want to start shopping for a spare keyboard. Now, before you have to compete with a world full of DX(G) owners looking for a replacement.

Note: from posts made here, the joystick is the first thing to go.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note: from posts made here, the joystick is the first thing to go.
... because it's by far the most frequently used key, I'd guess.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... because it's by far the most frequently used key, I'd guess.
Well, Amazon seems to have the battery life-time (of the new devices) engineered down to warranty period + 2 months.

Engineering the **unused** keys to wear out in warranty period + 2 months is a bit larger challenge.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I honestly do think that the soft keyboard is a lot better. I can type about 10x faster on my Touch and PW than on my old Kindle Keyboard.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I honestly do think that the soft keyboard is a lot better. I can type about 10x faster on my Touch and PW than on my old Kindle Keyboard.
Oh, I agree with that. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

Just wanted to cover the chance that the O.P. was asking about their own device, which recently had larger terminal fonts installed.

There are products, tablets the size and weight of the DX(G), made for commercial data-entry.
They are almost without exception, touch screen devices without mechanical keyboards.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast
chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
Before my kindle keyboard went to kindle heaven I loved typing on it. The kindle touch keyboard seems so inaccurate and hard to use. As a typing device I would definitely prefer the k3.
chr1st0ph3rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
mcmay
mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcmay , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Many thanks to all that have participated in the discussion in this thread. Having read all the suggestions in your discussion and considered my own conditions and needs, I determined that I use kindle only as my secondary platform for writing codes. Anyway, I'd feel sad to see the keyboard of my kindle DXG broken and no longer usable. I'd like to see my kindle complete and well. Thank you again for your discussion.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Android has some "wifi keyboard" apps.. where you type on your PC keyboard and it shows up on your running android app..
maybe possible here too..?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
mcmay

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Android has some "wifi keyboard" apps.. where you type on your PC keyboard and it shows up on your running android app..
maybe possible here too..?
That is possible for Kindles with wifi connection and needs software support. I hope that this will become true sometime soon.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The dxg is pretty hardcore, but the keys die as stated by the others.

The kindle 3 has a known fault where the casing cracks with too much pressing of keys.

The 4 "keyboard" is a joke. not a good one.

The newer keyboards (TS) obviously live longest.

What - exactly - is this "type on PC keyboard, show up on kindle" software you need?

I used to do that via VNC all the time?

Intrigued.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
an example of a "remote keyboard for android" http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remote-...one-via-wi-fi/
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote