Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What format does the MobiPocket Reader support? Er, MobiPocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #17
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
You beat me to it Harry!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I carry my phone with me more than I carry my Sony Reader so this would be a welcome addition for me, once I upgrade to the iPhone.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What makes you want an iPhone? You could get an iPod touch and a "normal" phone which will give you the same functionality for a heck of a lot less money!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think there is plenty of room for both lcd and e-ink display devices, and that they serve different markets. Heck, I still like to read on paper as well.

At this stage of the game I don't see ebook capability on the iPhone stealing market from Sony or Amazon, mostly because there isn't much market there to steal and still a lot of room to grow. If anything, it has the potential to grow the market. I doubt Sony or Amazon have sold a million of their devices (though I'd love to be proven wrong), but the iPhones and the iPod Touch are out there in big numbers. Because of the iPhone's SDK, there is at least the potential of supporting multiple file formats in a way that the Sony and, even more so, the Kindle don't.

I would agree that the last thing we need is another new app and format; we need to see MobiPocket and eReader. I doubt LIT will happen due to its dependence on Microsoft components and the near abandon-ware nature of the software. Something similar to uBook would be quite welcome.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:52 AM   #21
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Redundant redundancies redundantly reappear redundantly.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #22
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes you want an iPhone? You could get an iPod touch and a "normal" phone which will give you the same functionality for a heck of a lot less money!
I had considered that myself, but one of the advantages of the iPhone/Touch is one of the better mobile browsers, and the Touch cannot be tethered (except through WiFi, which is just silly). Luckily, there are good mobile browsers available for other phones -- Opera Mini is quite good.

Then again, since AT&T has standardized their data plans, I might just as well get an iPhone, as I will pay the same outrageous fees for any 3G phone with data.

So... I am looking for a new wireless provider. Anyone know of any plans for eReader or Mobipocket on Android?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #23
mrborgs
mrborgs began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T5
Each Book Seperate

Each book is seperate in this program becasue of a limitation Apple is putting on the 3rd party apps - you can't add to them! It is making it hard for eBooks, etc because either you will have to buy a bundle all at once of items or will have to have seperate programs for each purchase of an eBook. Frustrating
But didn't Steve Jobs say no one reads anymore - so why support eBooks

Mike B
mrborgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
So... I am looking for a new wireless provider. Anyone know of any plans for eReader or Mobipocket on Android?
No. First, I think we need to see devices shipping running Android.

That said, the Android SDK is available, and the pieces are there. I don't think it will be that much of an effort to port either reader once hardware is available to run it on.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
I had considered that myself, but one of the advantages of the iPhone/Touch is one of the better mobile browsers, and the Touch cannot be tethered (except through WiFi, which is just silly). Luckily, there are good mobile browsers available for other phones -- Opera Mini is quite good.
Sure, I agree. I have a Touch myself, and Safari is an excellent browser on that. Perhaps things are different in the US, but here in the UK the iPhone is only available on long-term contract with fees starting from around $70 a month. I don't pay $70 in a year with my present "pay as you go" Windows Smartphone .
Old 07-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #26
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure, I agree. I have a Touch myself, and Safari is an excellent browser on that. Perhaps things are different in the US, but here in the UK the iPhone is only available on long-term contract with fees starting from around $70 a month. I don't pay $70 in a year with my present "pay as you go" Windows Smartphone .
Since I'm usually within a WiFi hot spot when I need it, once my contract on my first gen iPhone is up I'm planning on buying an iPod Touch and using a cheap pre-paid phone like my wife does. She pays about $100 a year and has never gone over her limit; heck, my talk time has never gone over her limit either.

Still, having one device, rather than two (and it used to be three: PDA/Phone/Media Player) is nice...'cept now I'm back up to two (iPhone/Kindle) and soon to be three again...
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #27
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
What format does it support?
I suspect Ebook lover was asking which format does the iPhone ebook reader in the OP support. Or perhaps I'm projecting because I was wondering the same thing. It looks like possibly another proprietary format, since the books are only available via the iPhones store...might be repackaged Gutenberg texts, unless they have deals with the publishers.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #28
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I think the problem with the iPhone is that the screen is too small for reading. I have a Nokia N800 and find its backlit screen, which is considerably larger than the iPhone, is just adequate for reading. I alternate using it with an Iliad (which is easier to read but hard to carry around). Still, it would be nice to have something like Mobireader or, better, FBReader -- do they sell iPhones in Russia?
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The screen is pretty much the same size and resolution as the majority of PDAs, which I read on for something like 20 years. Sure, I wouldn't swap my Gen3 for it as my primary reader, but it certainly can be used as a practical reader.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I think the problem with the iPhone is that the screen is too small for reading. I have a Nokia N800 and find its backlit screen, which is considerably larger than the iPhone, is just adequate for reading. I alternate using it with an Iliad (which is easier to read but hard to carry around). Still, it would be nice to have something like Mobireader or, better, FBReader -- do they sell iPhones in Russia?
I read ebooks on a Tapwave Zodiac 2 PDA, a Palm OS device with a 320x480 screen. I find it no problem to read on. The screen on the N800 is not that much larger physically, though it is higher resolution. I used to read on a Palm Tuingsten E, with a 320x320 screen, and a Handspring Visor pro, which had a 160x160 mono screen (same size as the E, but half the resolution). I had no problems on those, either.

I wouldn't mind a larger screen, but I don't have problems with the one I have.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote