Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
wlee
wlee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony, Android
Exclamation Kobo carries a virus?! & freeze/crash issue

I bought a Kobo wifi refurb from one of the largest retailers, the box was sealed and the reader was like new never used, plug into usb, a virus detected for the desktop software, did a factory reset, still the same.

I was able to download desktop software and install no issue, the reader is running firmware 1.9 mar 29 2011, but some issues:

1. lagging, slow when turn page etc.
2. can't press the pad too quick, e.g. double click up or down key to change font size, often cause lock up or reboot
3. pdf is not practical, whole page view is hard to read, zoom can't fit one whole line. I intended to read manuals on the road.

Are these expected? i.e. did I get lemon? I was hoping for more...

Last edited by wlee; 12-18-2011 at 01:44 PM.
wlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You are running old firmware. On sync or desktop connection you should get new firmware. You should get 9.1.12 I am clueless about the virus part, but it could be a false positive--or maybe the refurb wasn't done properly.

PDFs on any 6 inch device is far from great. Touch handles them better than most.

Last edited by taming; 11-11-2011 at 09:37 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
He's got the Kobo WIFI (not the Touch) so 1.9 is current firmware I believe.

The Kobo Wifi isn't the fastest reader out there, but it was good value at the time it came out. I wouldn't recommend it for heavy pdf use. As Taming said, the Touch is wwwaaaayyyy better for pdf's, but still far from perfect due to screen size limitations. You're better off with some sort of tablet or e-reader/tablet hybrid for that.

Last edited by robko; 11-11-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: clarity
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As Taming said, the Touch is wwwaaaayyyy better, but still far from perfect due to screen size limitations.
Ahh, you mean for PDF files it's far from perfect?
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Ahh, you mean for PDF files it's far from perfect?
Yes, for pdf's it's not perfect. As much as I curse Kobo customer service some days I do LOVE my KT for reading on.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
wlee

Also I'm yet to find a good software to convert pdf to epub at decent quality.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I can't tell you about the trojans - though like others, I suspect it was either an improperly done refurb or a false positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee View Post
3. pdf is not practical, whole page view is hard to read, zoom can't fit one whole line. I intended to read manuals on the road.
This is going to be true of any 6-inch eink reader. They just aren't designed for that. And due to the nature of PDF's, there's only so much reflowing it can do to make it work on a small screen. If you want to use PDF's heavily, I'd suggest an ereader with a bigger screen.

And yes, you're right, converting PDF's are very hit-or-miss.

The Kobo Wifi is a older reader. You can definitely expect it to be slower than current-gen products, including the Kobo Touch. Though again, I wonder about the quality of the refurb job and if it may be affecting performance.

For the kind of performance you're looking for, I'd suggest maybe a Pocketbook Pro 903? I don't think you're going to get what you're looking for out of the Kobo Wifi, or any 6-inch ereader.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-12-2011 at 03:28 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
DesktopInstaller.exe is our app, *some* virus scanners do falsely identify it as a virus. I can assure you that there is no risk of our desktop application being a virus.

Once you use the desktop application to set up your eReader you should get the latest update available and it should fix some of your reading experience issues.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
wlee

Quote:
2. can't press the pad too quick, e.g. double click up or down key to change font size, often cause lock up or reboot
So far same issue on three of them, even when viewing User Guide:

First/Second unit: freeze
Third unit: crash/reboot

Very disappointed!

I tried on store demo, no such issue, it was running older firmware!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee View Post
I bought a Kobo wifi refurb from one of the largest retailers, the box was sealed and the reader was like new never used, plug into usb, a virus detected for the desktop software, did a factory reset, still the same.

I was able to download desktop software and install no issue, the reader is running firmware 1.9 mar 29 2011, but some issues:

1. lagging, slow when turn page etc.

Are these expected? i.e. did I get lemon? I was hoping for more...
What has happened here is your virus scanner has misidentified your install files as a virus because of the way it installs. It adds drivers and modifies system files to allow for the computer to recognize the device when it is attached. There is no actual virus. Just disable your scanner for the install and reenable when you are done. You will be fine. This is a common issue with some scanners as they pay attention to things.

Good luck

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
wlee

I can deal with "virus", just download the installer... but frequent freeze/crash is not acceptable.

Tags
kobo wifi wireless virus