Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #76
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A good 5 way button is better for page turns than dedicated page turn buttons.
Possibly. I know in the devices I've owned/tried I like having page turn buttons on the side of the device better than just a 5-way at the bottom.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #77
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Possibly. I know in the devices I've owned/tried I like having page turn buttons on the side of the device better than just a 5-way at the bottom.
I should have been more clear that part of being a good 5-way button would include good placement and fully customizable. The Pocketbook 360 has its 5-way centered along a long screen edge. The Pocketbook can be held so that the button is on the right or the left for reading in portrait. For reading in landscape, the button would be on bottom or (unlikely) top. I think you would find that for landscape reading on the nicely symmetrical and balanced, keyboardless 360, the bottom location of the 5-way is just fine. For reading on the 360 in portrait or landscape, the 5-way renders dedicated page turn buttons absolutely superfluous.

A really nicely designed and well executed feature of the 360 for default and customized functions of the 5-way is that "right", "left", "up", and "down" rotate to match the text rendering. With both short and long press available, I can turn pages forward and back, follow and return from links, increase or decrease size, and several other things using only the 5-way.

Another aspect of good is none of the wobbliness or ambiguity of the Kindle 2 or DX. Don't know anything about the Kindle 3 5-way.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #78
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Although I enjoy touch screens on my phone and tablet, I LOVE the page turn "buttons" on my K3 - they are perfectly positioned for one-handed use requiring no movement of thumbs! Don't mess with them, Amazon!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #79
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to say this, buttons are becoming obsolete.
Indeed. The new K4s will have zippers!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #80
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Indeed. The new K4s will have zippers!
I heard they were going to be velcro!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
So do you use a touch keyboard for your computer?
Nope. But my computer is not portable. The main unit sits under the desk. Now the iPad my wife has and the iPhone 3G we have, yes, we do use the touch keyboard and for the 650, I do use the touch keyboard.

You analogy doesn't fit in with the topic. Would you want to carry around a keyboard when you don't actually have to?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You may say you love your buttons. But have any of you buttonholics actually tried a good touch interface? I have and I can say, there's very little need for buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #83
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You may say you love your buttons. But have any of you buttonholics actually tried a good touch interface? I have and I can say, there's very little need for buttons.
What's a good touch interface? I've tried the Sony 950 and it was OK for everything but page turning, if I could have set it to use a tap instead of a swipe for turning I'd likely have been KO with it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #84
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
A good 5 way button is better for page turns than dedicated page turn buttons.
I disagree. I like the Kindle page turn buttons just the way they are. When I hold my Kindle the button rests right under my thumb. It's very well designed. To use a five-way button I would have to move my hand away from its natural position and back with every page turn, same with a touchscreen.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #85
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I disagree. I like the Kindle page turn buttons just the way they are. When I hold my Kindle the button rests right under my thumb. It's very well designed. To use a five-way button I would have to move my hand away from its natural position and back with every page turn, same with a touchscreen.
With a good 5-way button, you do not have to move your hand at all. Did you read my clarification of what constitutes a good 5-way button? Have you seen a Pocketbook 360 or a picture of one?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #86
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
With a good 5-way button, you do not have to move your hand at all. Did you read my clarification of what constitutes a good 5-way button? Have you seen a Pocketbook 360 or a picture of one?
It still does not equal a set of dedicated, ambidextrous pageturn buttons. Nothing has surpassed that design thus far. just imo. I can see the advantages of a nicely thought out 5-way button. Much respect to the innovative ereader companies that get some good design ideas on the road to bankruptcy.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 AM   #87
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
You may say you love your buttons. But have any of you buttonholics actually tried a good touch interface?
Agreed.

I had two button-driven readers before switching to the PRS-650, and before I got the Sony I wasn't that bothered about Touch. Once I started using the device I was blown away. It's a very intuitive way to interact with the reader.

I don't have to 'move my hand a long way' to change page. The 650 reacts to a small movement of my thumb across the screen edge where I'm holding the device - without moving my hand. I can do this holding the reader in either hand.

On other occasions I will naturally swipe the screen with a finger, and of course the Sony does also have page left and page right buttons for when you're holding it down the bottom or don't want to touch the screen.

This variety is very helpful. On both my previous devices I found that always having to press the same buttons or click the same 5-way meant that that thumb got fatigued.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #88
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
".......On both my previous devices I found that always having to press the same buttons or click the same 5-way meant that that thumb got fatigued..........."

Woh, Graham - fast reader or what !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #89
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
".......On both my previous devices I found that always having to press the same buttons or click the same 5-way meant that that thumb got fatigued..........."

Woh, Graham - fast reader or what !

No, but the repetition really did get to me over a reading session. My two devices (Bookeen Gen 3 and Elonex 511EB) may have had slightly stiffer buttons than on a Kindle, for example, but when I moved to the Sony it was like a breath of fresh air, as I had choices.

Another great thing about the touchscreen is that you can change the page with a very light touch. This means that you can stand the reader up on a table (I have a great Tuff-Luv cover which allows this), or on your lap when reclining, and still change the pages easily. With stiffer buttons you need to have the reader leaning against something solid, or grip the back of the device at the same time you press the button.

And of course while we tend to concentrate on page-turning, the real benefit of the touchscreen comes when navigating the device, setting bookmarks, and when highlighting words to look up in the dictionary.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #90
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
And of course while we tend to concentrate on page-turning, the real benefit of the touchscreen comes when navigating the device, setting bookmarks, and when highlighting words to look up in the dictionary.
We concentrate on "page turning" because it represents, by far, the main interaction (and almost only interaction, depending on the individual reader) with the device. The majority of readers spend the overwhelming majority of their eReader time not doing those other things.

I'm a buttonholic. I've tried a myriad of different devices with touch interfaces. I don't care for them... it's that simple. Is that not allowed? It sounds like Amazon (if the reports are true) have recognized the fact that there's a not tiny user base who feel the same way I do, and have decided to respect our wishes. As well as respecting the wishes of those who have buttonphobia. Good for them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-17-2011 at 01:14 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, tablet, touch