Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Nook Color: Black Specks on Screen

I guess it's back to Best Buy tomorrow. There are 8 black spots in the center of the screen. Can't tell if it's dust or something else. Bummer!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Oh that sucks, sorry to hear! Hopefully they will replace it for you. It would be a real bummer if dead pixels started showing up on everyone's unit.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
That sucks! For some reason, Best Buy always seems to get more than their fair share of products that don't work well/right. Hopefully when you switch it out the new one will be perfect. Good luck!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks you two! I'll be there when they open. When I left they had 6 in stock.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It may be necessary to open the next one in the store if you opt to get a replacement from them.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

That's what I plan on doing. 90 minutes round trip. Thank you. The battery came with a good charge.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
just to be sure make sure you take a mircro fiber and really wipe it down. I had to do that with mine. the nook is soo well wrap with the cellophane I found the screen to have that really new and grabby feel, Felt just like when I first pulled my Droid X out of the box,
This will hold any dust partilces etc.

So give it nice wipe down , just to make sure. Would hate to drive all the way there if it wasn't a pixel problem

good luck and let us know how you make out
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Yes, you're right! When I noticed them I tried to buff it with a microfiber cloth. Assumed it was what you said. The advice is appreciated. Headed over there now. Couldn't leave out sooner as planned.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

All went well. Quickly exchanged for another. Inspected it on the spot.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Whew...Glad you got that taken care of. I don't get mine until Monday when it gets delivered. I'll be sure to really check it out.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I have a few specs under my screen as well. I think I bought the last one at the Best Buy I was at so I will have to see about exchanging it later. Not very noticeable unless I look for it though.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Whew...Glad you got that taken care of. I don't get mine until Monday when it gets delivered. I'll be sure to really check it out.

Ellen
It was painful looking at those specks! I used it while in bed last night with the lights out. So cozy with the night setting and the brightness turned all the way down. It's nice not to use a book light. Used the replacement today while I was in the car waiting for someone. Adjusted the settings again with a different background color. Very easy to read. It's well thought out for an LCD ereader.

Last edited by SCION; 11-20-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I have a few specs under my screen as well. I think I bought the last one at the Best Buy I was at so I will have to see about exchanging it later. Not very noticeable unless I look for it though.
It appears the device may be in short supply until after the holidays. There are six Best Buys within reasonable driving distance. Only one had any in stock -- just 7 when I showed up yesterday. The same store had 99 nooks.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
pac1687
pac1687 began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook Color
I've returned my Nook Color twice already with some odd quality control issues with the screen. The first Nook Color I had had some weird smudging beneath the screen, like someone had dragged their thumb across the underside of it. I promptly exchanged it for another one this morning and that one had some build quality issues with the body not coming together tightly, but there was also visible glitter underneath the screen!

Finally, I returned my second one a couple hours ago and I'm fairly satisfied with the one they gave me. There doesn't appear to be anything under the screen, but I did notice some odd flickering on gray colored screens. At this point, I don't want to return it again and burn through some more of their stock, so I guess I'll try to see if it doesn't bother me.
pac1687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac1687 View Post
I've returned my Nook Color twice already with some odd quality control issues with the screen. The first Nook Color I had had some weird smudging beneath the screen, like someone had dragged their thumb across the underside of it. I promptly exchanged it for another one this morning and that one had some build quality issues with the body not coming together tightly, but there was also visible glitter underneath the screen!

Finally, I returned my second one a couple hours ago and I'm fairly satisfied with the one they gave me. There doesn't appear to be anything under the screen, but I did notice some odd flickering on gray colored screens. At this point, I don't want to return it again and burn through some more of their stock, so I guess I'll try to see if it doesn't bother me.

a black smudge under the screen is almost certain it was mishandle when packing or somewhere along the lines. Sounds like someone pressed too hard on the screen.

the flicker is the backlight refreshing, it can become visible on computers and other lcd's when the brightness is very low, it can be visble, try bringing up the brightness a bit or toggle through some background colors and see if you get one you like

Last edited by boswd; 11-20-2010 at 04:49 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote