Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
daletsteele
Enthusiast
daletsteele began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7", iPhone 10, iMac, Kindle Paperwhite
Sacramento Bee newspaper, my first recipe

I couldn't find one out there anywhere but managed to put something together that works for me now. I didn't include all possible RSS feeds possible but found this recipe useful for my needs. If there is interest, I'd be happy to share it here or make it available for Calibre use. First, I'd have to figure out how to send it. I guess that will be my second lesson. Right now, I'm checking out the kindle subscription for this newspaper and have to say I'm not too impressed. I'll likely be back using this recipe when my free two weeks are up.

Calibre rocks! Many thanks for the hard work on it and support by the user community.

Dale
daletsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Clash
Clash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Good luck! I can't wait to try it out.
Clash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
NoLearningLimits
NoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enough

I created a recipe for the SacBee today, also. I tried the Amazon one for a week but was disappointed in the limited content. I don't want the national/international news from SacBee; I can get it from better sources. But SacBee is great for local news, California politics, local weather, the book reviews, and other local information. The SacBee RSS feeds allow for almost everything, except for the daily comics... though Rex Babin is in the RSS feeds
NoLearningLimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
NoLearningLimits
NoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enoughNoLearningLimits will become famous soon enough

Is there a way to provide Calibre with new recipes?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
daletsteele
Enthusiast

Sacramento Bee RSS Feeds

One thing I've noticed is that the Bee doesn't seem to update very often so the content gets rather stale as the week goes along. Other than that, it seems to be as good or better an option than the kindle subscription. I plan to go back and fine tune my recipe and would like to see one included in a future Calibre update.

Thanks, Dale
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you feel your recipe is ready to become a builtin, just post here.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
NoLearningLimits

I have set the limit on the feed so that articles over 1 day old are not downloaded. I only get the current day's paper.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
BigHeadRed
BigHeadRed began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I'm interested in seeing your code, and in using your recipe. I'm very new to this, but I'm trying to figure out how to make a recipe for "The Davis Enterprise," from the neighboring city of Davis.
BigHeadRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
daletsteele
Enthusiast

I've dumped the kindle Bee subscription after the two week trail and was unimpressed. I've tweaked my Bee recipe and now use it for my morning news. I collect the last couple of days for now as the Bee doesn't refresh its feeds very often so I reduce it more, I don't find much to read. Today the nation feed seemed to be jumbled with sports news...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
thczv
thczv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would love to get a copy of your Sacramento Bee recipes. Are any of you willing to share?
thczv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
daletsteele
Enthusiast

Sharing the Bee Recipe

I never figured out how to do that but would be happy to share my version if I did. Still using it for my daily read along with a few others but nothing I've cooked up.

Dts
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by daletsteele View Post
I never figured out how to do that but would be happy to share my version if I did.
Open your recipe in the custom recipe editor of Calibre (small black triangle next to Fetch News) select your recipe highlight and copy it, then come back here and paste it into your message with CODE tags by highlighting the code and clicking the hash mark "#" above.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
NoLearningLimits

I just used the standard Calibre newspaper recipe for a new source. For the http link addresses, I went to the Sacramento Bee's rss feed site: http://www.sacbee.com/rss/ Daily, I get the current newspaper for only the sections, forums, and extras that I really want and read. I like to start with the local weather and letter to the editor. Then I read the local news. I like to read the forum editorials. Some of these I have set up there own download to make navigation to them easier. I have found that I can alter the comic recipes from Calibre fairly easily, so I don't choose to download comics or political cartoons directly from Sac Bee. I have chosen to download the paper at 6:00 AM each morning. I get all of the daily specials, such as the gardening sections on Thursday and the book reviews on Mondays.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
yocalif
yocalif began at the beginning.

Device: color nook
Hi, no-one has posted the sacbee recipe, I would like one please, either post it or PM me with it.

thanks...
yocalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by yocalif View Post
Hi, no-one has posted the sacbee recipe, I would like one please, either post it or PM me with it.

thanks...
He's using the "basic recipe" method with feeds from the site he gave you.

http://www.sacbee.com/rss/

Just grab the feeds and paste them into the basic recipe. Calibre will create the recipe for you.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote