Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #46
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Self-portrait; somewhat digitally manipulated
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #47
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I was doing a search using some combination of "panda" and "cherry blossom" to find an avatar that matched my user name and I stumbled across this one. (I tried to recreate the search and it looks like "panda blossom" is the terms I used.) I thought it was pretty and almost exactly what I was seeking.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #48
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Self-portrait; somewhat digitally manipulated
I always admired your avatar, a very nice composition.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #49
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
I always admired your avatar, a very nice composition.
Thanks beppe! You're obviously a very intelligent person with superb artistic taste!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #50
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Mine is my son as he appeared in the one-act play his senior year. Yes, that is his real hair, shaved top and all. How's that for dedication to a part? Every judge that saw the play later told him, "That's real? I thought it was a good cover job, but that's really impressive." He walked around with that hairdo for close to 6 weeks, I think.

He wished the mustache was his, too.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #51
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Mine is an astrolabe, a mechanical device for figuring star positions. They go back a long way (eg ancient Greece) but mine is modern. Of course we have computers to do this now if we want, but this is prettier.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #52
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Mine is me! Way, way back when MR was just starting, I had a lot more time and Alex was able to get custom avatars for all his helpers, and I was lucky enough to get one then. Mind you, the photo used to create it is probably the only one I had with facial hair (I shave regularly, except when I'm on holidays and let myself go )

These days I just sit back and reflect on my past glory, and ponder with wonder how far Mobileread has come. It's truly amazing.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #53
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Let there be lips.

(spoiler has the audience participation to be yelled out in bold (tiny bit different depending on location) Contains bad language.)

Spoiler:
LET THERE BE LIPS!
Michael Rennie was ill, the day the Earth stood still, but he told us where we stand. ON OUR FEET! And Flash Gordon was there, in EDIBLE. silver underwear. KINKY! Claude Rains was the invisible man. BUT HE DIDN'T SHOW UP. Then something went wrong, for Faye Wray and King Kong, they got caught in a SEXUAL celluloid jam. YEAH JAM! Then at a deadly pace, it came ON JANET'S FACE! from outer space. And this is how the message ran... FREEZE!

(WHEN EACH STARS NAME APPEARS ON THE SCREEN, USE THE FOLLOWING LINES: ANOTHER HELPING OF CURRY PLEASE! SLUT! ASSHOLE! WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE COLOR? WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR DRUGS? KISS ASS! UGH! EDDIE EDDIE! CHUCKIE GREY, HE'S OKAY, BUT HE'S GOT NO FUCKING NECK!)

CHORUS: Science fiction - double feature, Doctor X will build a creature. See androids fighting Brad and Janet. Anne Francis stars in Forbidden Planet. Oh, oh, oh, oh... ...at the late night, double feature, picture show.

I knew Leo G. Carrol, was over a barrel, when tarantula took to the hills. LICK THOSE LIPS! And I really got hot, when I saw JANET'S TW*T. Jeanette Scott, fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills. WHAT THE FUCK IS A TRIFFID? Dana Andrews said prunes, gave him the runes THEY GAVE ME THE SHITS! and passing them used lots of skills. YEAH SKILLS! But when worlds collide, said George Pal to his bride, I'm going to give you some SEXUAL. terrible thrills. Like a...

CHORUS: Science fiction - double feature, Doctor X SEX, SEX, SEX! will build a creature. See androids fighting AND FUCKING AND SUCKING ON. Brad and Janet. Anne Francis stars in WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE? Forbidden Planet. Oh, oh, oh, oh... ...at the late night, double feature, picture show. I wanna go, oh, ho, ho... ...to the late night, double feature, picture show, By RKO. RK WHO? Oh, ho, ho... ...to the late night, double feature, picture show. In the back row. FUCK THE BACK ROW! FUCK THE FRONT ROW! Oh, ho, ho... ...to the late night, double feature, picture show.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #54
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
Mine is me! Way, way back when MR was just starting, I had a lot more time and Alex was able to get custom avatars for all his helpers, and I was lucky enough to get one then. Mind you, the photo used to create it is probably the only one I had with facial hair
I'm curious about how these avatars were made. Did you hire a sketch artist to draw your picture, or was it made by some computer software after supplying your picture as an input.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 AM   #55
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
There are websites, Thinkpad, that will produce a similar effect from a photograph. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #56
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Interesting have to Google it and see what I come up with. Thanks Neil.
Searching for "Photo to sketch" certainly produces a lot of hits.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 AM   #57
Mitchi
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
Mitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enoughMitchi will become famous soon enough

Device: Jetbook Lite, Droid Eris
Way back, when I started using the internet, I found a very pretty drawing of a mermaid with big blue eyes and fell in love with it. I decided to crop the face and stick that as an avatar, and used it for nearly 6 years.

One day, on one of the forums I frequented, a big changed happened that altered my username color. Well, the pretty, serene blue eyed mermaid one I'd been using didn't fit, so I decided I needed a new one, but wanted it to be one that I made myself, completely from scratch.

TL;DR version:
It's something I drew as a sig/avatar set for a forum, and since I use the same Avatar across almost all forums I join, I used it here too. It's just some redhead dancing to techno music with giant headphones on.
Mitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #58
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Interesting have to Google it and see what I come up with. Thanks Neil.
Searching for "Photo to sketch" certainly produces a lot of hits.
Indeedly
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #59
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
My avatar says "Free Tibet" - because it's not, and the world is not interested.
FREE THE CHOOK!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #60
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
@TGS: The Chicken is definitely interested , in freeing Tibet that is.

@Mitchi: Your avatar, to me looked like a girl in deep, emotional thought. Dancing never crossed my mind. Oh wait, now I see it, the blue things are headphones and the other brown things are the hands.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote