Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
damorg
damorg began at the beginning.

Device: "just looking"
looking to purchase -- opinions?

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a reader and would appreciate some info and opinions. The Sony PRS-700 is leading the pack so far due to the side-light. I have been using an iPaq for years and while I like it, it's time for a larger screen and better reader-specific functionality.

My main needs/reqs:
  • light for reading at night (this is key...lights-off reading has improved the quality of life for me and my spouse)
  • Multiple format support including (pleasant) PDF support
  • Linux support -- I have a Windows machine available but I would much prefer to manage the device and content from my main machine.

PDF reading is key. Aside from recreational reading, the main use of the device would be for reading technical manuals including links and diagrams. E-reading PDFs can leave alot to be desired. I see this thread re: scientific PDFs and I think it probably applies to my situation as well: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52625

Do the tools mentioned (soPDF and PDFCropper) preserve navigation featues in the PDFs (links) ? What other tools do people use for this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and feeback!

Regards,

Dan
damorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I don't know that I'd buy a 700 now, that is if you can find one still available. I think you might as well wait for the 600 to come out at the "end of August" or possibly later.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
But the 600 isn't going to have the light, and he is saying that is important. However using a booklight on my 500 was never a problem.

I'd suggest waiting to see what the 600 looks like -- the screen on the 700, while certainly readable and especially with the sidelights turned on, could certainly be better, and I am eager to see if the screen of the 600 is anything like the clarity of the 505's screen. If so, I'll be saving my pennies to buy one.

The dictionary which was mentioned seems like it might be a good thing, but we'll have to wait and see if it's there and how good it will be.

So I agree with Treven that you should wait until the new units are out and then decide -- the sidelights on the 700 are nice but not so extra nice than using a reading light that I would suggest buying the 700 right now. And the battery drain from the lights is a bit of annoyance -- I'm recharging every 4 or 5 days, reading about an hour each day.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I fold the front cover back the way on my 505 and clip a Mighty Bright book lite to both the covers. It illuminates it very well. It has two very nice LED's and you have the option of using only one of them or both. I got a 700 so I can make annotations on it, but I like the 505 better. The book light makes it ideal.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I would wait for the 600, or pick up a 505. You can use your favorite book light (I have a 3-led Z-light, compact and works well) or the Sony wedge light cover (which I also own and use). The wedge cover *may* fit the new 600 too. If not, they'll surely be selling a 600 version. Either of these options is better than dealing with the poor contrast (and increased battery drain) of the 700 imo.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
IMHO, I would wait til I could compare the 2, side by side...the clarity of the screen would be of interest to me on the 600, as the 700 is slightly dim.
Penny
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
I'm a software engineer and know the need to read many "sophisticated" PDF's myself. I had a 505 and found the PDF reading to be acceptable, but, what I didn't find acceptable was the lack of annotation capabilities.

The 700 screen is really really bad. Don't even consider it. You'll hate e-ink readers if you take that as your first impression. If you compare the 505 next to the 700, which they inexplicably let you do at Borders stores, you an see it's like taking the 505 and putting a quarter inch thick layer of old plastic on top of it. Simply unacceptable.

Personally with your particular needs, I would not jump the gun at this time. Wait to see what happens with the Plastik Logic reader or some of the other upcoming large format readers. With regards to the PDF reading, while the 505 (and 700, 600, etc.) display PDF's well, even in landscape mode what you get is very small, or it's reflowed without images or charts, aka useless.

I hate to be the negative opinion in the thread. I am a Sony fan in general and think the 505 is the best reader of all time for regular novels etc. But, since you have this PDF need, it's something I've been looking for a solution for myself for quite a while.

At this point I've given up on finding a good reader with a built-in light. The challenge here is exactly why the 700 looks so terrible. There is no good way to diffuse the light across the screen, and the e-ink doesn't allow for a backlight. I personally think the best bet is to have a built-in reading lamp that folds out, but at that point you may as well just buy your own...

So that said, since PDF matters, size is your priority, I'd only consider larger readers and wait until 2010Q1 at least to see what Barnes and Noble actually releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damorg View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a reader and would appreciate some info and opinions. The Sony PRS-700 is leading the pack so far due to the side-light. I have been using an iPaq for years and while I like it, it's time for a larger screen and better reader-specific functionality.

My main needs/reqs:
  • light for reading at night (this is key...lights-off reading has improved the quality of life for me and my spouse)
  • Multiple format support including (pleasant) PDF support
  • Linux support -- I have a Windows machine available but I would much prefer to manage the device and content from my main machine.

PDF reading is key. Aside from recreational reading, the main use of the device would be for reading technical manuals including links and diagrams. E-reading PDFs can leave alot to be desired. I see this thread re: scientific PDFs and I think it probably applies to my situation as well: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52625

Do the tools mentioned (soPDF and PDFCropper) preserve navigation featues in the PDFs (links) ? What other tools do people use for this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and feeback!

Regards,

Dan
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote