Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
mr_magicfingers
mr_magicfingers began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do you find pdf's on the sony 505?

I'm looking at my first e-reader and wondered how you found reading pdf files on the 505. I have a lot of legacy pdf's saved, and tend to 'print to pdf' and 'save to pdf' from online sources for later reading, being able to use these comfortably on the 505 would edge me nearer the purchase.

Thanks,

Justin.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
I'm looking at my first e-reader and wondered how you found reading pdf files on the 505. I have a lot of legacy pdf's saved, and tend to 'print to pdf' and 'save to pdf' from online sources for later reading, being able to use these comfortably on the 505 would edge me nearer the purchase.

Thanks,

Justin.
Not so great. You tend to lose the formatting when you increase the font size. If you can read very small print you might be ok. The display is somewhat better in horizontal orientation. The page is split in two.

The undisputed master of PDF is iRex Iliad, but at a co$t.

This thread has a bit more info.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is likely that the new PRS-600 will have the best PDF capability in a 6" device, with (like the current PRS-700) both reflow and zoom options. However, "best" isn't "good" or even "good enough". You can get an idea of the PRS-700's capabilities from Sony's Windows ebook Reader. It is likely that this software will also be upgraded when the PRS-600 is released sometime this month.

If you can control the font size, printing web pages to PDF might work well for new PDFs. You would want a very large font size though (24 pt for a letter/A4 page), and this probably isn't true of your existing PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've found that if I change the orientation to Landscape. the PDFs on the 505 are much more readable.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Text-only PDFs on the 505 are fine (I can read the small font without problem). Ones with graphics and formulae and the like are not so good.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
mr_magicfingers
mr_magicfingers began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for all the help, I'm going to wait for the 600 to be released here, it looks like that might actually be just what I need.

Cheers,

Justin.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find PDF's on the Sony using the menu providing I have something in PDF on the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
A4 or Letter-sized PDFs rather suck, but you can survive with them. A laser printer and lots of dead bamboo-like sustainable forest trees is a better investment really.

Frankly, other than books, I can't imagine anything being good on the PRS-505. Just about everything else is served better by other formats.

I was recently given a physics dissertation and when the student saw my Sony, he asked if I could read the pdf file on it. It was pretty awful, and he lost enthusiasm for ebook readers pretty quick.

That said, all of the novels I want to read are in pdf format. It takes extra work to set them up, but it's worth it to avoid RTF, LRF, and EPUB most of the time.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I think it depends on your expectation. Don't expect to read an A4 PDF page using the small font (unchanged PDF) in Portrait mode. You probably need to change to landscape or increase the font size (reflowing your PDF).

I'm actually pretty happy with the PRS-505's reflow. I can read the text and refer to the pictures quite well. The only problem is that if I need to see the whole page formatted and have to turn to the small font or change to landscape to see them better.

In all my (few) experiences, I liked most using the built in reader PDF support than converting to another format like epub or LRF.
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
After hearing how awful PDFs are on the 505, I've been surprised to find they are usable. Much better if text-only, yes, and the pagination isn't right - but not so horrible as you might imagine.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
ccpraveen
Site: tinyurl.com/bukworm
ccpraveen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle, Bluefire Reader
Lots of ppl are asking about PDF here on Sony PRS 505. Can anyone measure the exact SCREEN dimensions of 505, and go to PAINT or another graphic tool and draw and cut an exact size image, and post it here as an attachment. You know,just an exact real size copy of how the screen wud be.

Once we see it in our pc screens, we wil know how a big pdf can fill itself in it, with or without reflow.I think it wil be a nice mental picture for those of us who are not fortunate yet to have a device with us.

Edited: I have tried doing it myself. Just a very newbie way of expecting and doing it from specifications available online.Would someone measure the size to the actual screen size and say if its right? If not, would someone correct me? Much obliged

Just an idea.

Regards

Dave

Attached:

Sorry the image was white. Anyone can right click and save this, to compare.

Last edited by ccpraveen; 08-07-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: To attach
ccpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The measurements of my physical screen, from the inner side of the bezel to the other side is, lenght: 12.3 cm and width: 9.1 cm
If that is of any help?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
600X800 pixels on a Sony 500, 505 and 700.

Last edited by Patricia; 08-07-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
600X600 pixels on a Sony 500, 505 and 700.
hmmm, perhaps you meant 600x800 pixels???
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find PDF's on the Sony using the menu providing I have something in PDF on the 505.

Thanks Jon!!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote