Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Newbie sony prs 505

I have purchased sony prs 505 from my local target store three days ago but yet to open it, I already own a amazon kindle for few months ( basically it is a dud). I am in academics and read lot of pdf. doc and txt files on a fairely regular basis, some of them are text but some have graphics and text. few of my textbooks are pdf. I purchased kindle in a hope to read pdf but no use, I don't use their wireless and don't even buy any books from them so it is a useless to me.

I read from this forum that sony has new frimware with pdf reflow ( I have not opened mine so dont know what firmware I have). I have also read sony's instruction on how to create optimized pdf for sony reader 505, so I am thinking to convert my all pdf to sony optimized version and than read on sony 505, so I want to know how is the support for this reflow pdf feature working now than before the reflow.

I also want to know if can transfer my books to sony 505 (not on sd card) without sony connect software, I am not interested in their store either.

can I delete a book from sony without their software?

How is the sony contrast as compared to kindle?

Any help is appreciated.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Bookathon--

After installing the firmware, the 505 will allow the text to reflow. This sometimes messes up where the graphics display. In the smallest size, the page will look be presented as it is in the original PDF. Because of the size of the 505's screen this can cause the text to be very small. When you reflow the text to a bigger size, the graphics don't get resized just the text. So this might not be the best option for PDF's with a lot of graphics in them.

Did you think about checking out the 700 instead of the 505? I don't have a 700, but from what I've read here, it seems to handle PDF's alot better than the 505.

Windows will treat your 505 like an external storage drive, so you can just drag and drop files onto it in Windows Explorer--no need to use the Sony software if you don't want to.

You can either delete files from Windows Explorer, or with the new firmware, you can delete files directly from the reader.

Hope this helps--
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I've only tested PDFs that contained text (no pictures, tables or anything). For books I can say it works well although the reflow is for a single pdf page at a time. It will not link pages together (the reader keeps every pdf page break).

You do not need the sony software to upload documents. You can also use Calibre or put them directly on the removable drive.

From what I have seen on screenshots, the contrast on the Sony is the same as on the Kindle.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I agree that the screen quality for the Sony and Kindle is about the same. Both are good. The Kindle refreshes a little faster.

I just read a PDF on my Sony yesterday. It was not perfect, but it was acceptable, even after I increased the size so I could see it comfortably.

And just so you know, you can load the Sony library software on your computer and use it to load your ebook reader with files from your computer without ever visiting or using the Sony store.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want to test the PRS-505 capability before opening it, Sony Windows ebook Reader software (i.e. the connect software) has a PRS emulator. The latest version emulates the PRS-700, but see Sony's Windows ebook Reader for PRS-505 emulating screenshots (and links to photos of the PRS-505 displaying a PDF). The primary difference in the new emulator is that the PRS-700 has 5 font sizes vs 3. The actual device has a landscape mode which isn't in the emulator.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Bookathon
Bookaholic

Thanks

Thanks all. What I gather is that sony is somewhat better than kindle in pdf support, and now I happen to read about esilk from foxit and it suppose to support only pdf and txt files. Screen specs look the same as sony and kindle They are expert of pdf so I am hoping they might do it the right way from the beginning.

I think pdf support is vital as lots of textbooks, magazines and article exist on pdf only.

Where do I need to put files on sony upon connection to computer, do they go into specific folder or just in the root?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Bookathon
Bookaholic

Emulator

I will try this emulator tonight.

From reviews I learned something about sony 700 is that it has lower contrast than 505, and lot of reflections, can somebody who has both units compare and comment?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
nanotube
nanotube began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
I will try this emulator tonight.

From reviews I learned something about sony 700 is that it has lower contrast than 505, and lot of reflections, can somebody who has both units compare and comment?
I played with the 700 and 505 at the sony store. The 700's screen is really, really not as good as the 505. At the same level/angle, you would see light reflection on the 700 but not on the 505. I picked the 505 after playing with them for a few minutes and so far the 505's been good to my eyes. I used to read a lot on my laptop but couldn't do it for more than 2 hours (eyes hurt too much). Thats why, for myself, I would avoid anything that's similar to a computer monitor. That being said, I don't believe 700 is THAT bad, just not as good as the 505 in terms of the screen.
nanotube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Bookathon
Bookaholic

I tried emulator and as suggested I loaded a sony optimized pdf and it really looked good initially on small fonts although text looked really small, but when I changed fonts to medium most of the graphs and text boxes disappeared somewhere and it became useless pdf.

As experiment I created a sony optimized pdf from already pdf file with foxit pdf creator and it indeed rendered beautufully showing all the graphs and pictures even on large fonts size, but foxit had few problems with fonts, it does not support all the fonts supported by adobe pdf printer, therefore it may not render as original if original fonts are not supported by it.

I dont think amazon will ever support pdf natively as it may be counter productive to their own business.