Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Pandora to Cap Free Mobile Use to 40 hrs/mo

Pandora slaps a 40 hour/month limit on free mobile listening

Quote:
Pandora Radio, the radio music streaming service, is getting rid of its free unlimited mobile listening plan and will be limiting “a small number” of its listeners to 40 hours per month limits. In doing so, it says that it will affect less than 4 percent of its total monthly active listeners.
I can burn through that cap in a week. I frequently use Pandora for background music while I do other things around the house. I take my iPod with me as I move about the house and plant it in a speaker dock in the room I'm in.

Desktop and laptop use is unaffected by this cap; but I rarely use my computer for listening, because it's in one room and I'm usually in another. So I either will have to pay up or find another free source (like Slacker).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I pay for Pandora -- $36 / year doesn't seem like much compared to the $200 / year (per radio!) XM Radio wanted for me to continue its services. I mostly use it either on my TV or on my phone.

I thought Pandora already had a listening cap for free users -- was it relatively larger or am I just remembering incorrectly?

I didn't personally care for Slacker -- I paid for that one for a few months and then cancelled -- although there wasn't anything wrong with it. It just seemed like I was always using Pandora, Songza or Tune-In Radio instead of Slacker. I still have the app on my phone.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 02-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I thought Pandora already had a listening cap for free users -- was it relatively larger or am I just remembering incorrectly?
They did, but it was lifted in 2011. Now it's back again, but only for mobile users this time.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
There used to be a 40 hour cap that they removed sometime in 2011.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I remember that 40 hour cap being one of the reasons that I started paying for it but I didn't know they had taken it away.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've been paying for two years now myself. Very small price to pay for music that I want to hear
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm trying Slacker out now; and so far, so good.