Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #136
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Quote:
“Apple is facing significant production constraints due to a move toward in-cell display technology,” Ben Reitzes, an analyst at Barclays, wrote in a research note yesterday.
Where is holywhatever with his "supply is higher than ever" claims?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #137
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
I think Apple knows two things. First, it will repair the worst damage via product updates, too slowly for the hungering punditry, but sufficiently for most users. Second, that the platform itself is not particularly hobbled by one weak app.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/24/a...maps-maneuver/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #138
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Scratches out of the box,

Should be returned immediately. Agree.

Edit: I think that this is another of those big issue for the vocal minority things.

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-25-2012 at 11:57 AM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #139
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can you give an example where you think I failed to do this?

Thank you.
No. Because the reply was not for you but for the "people that are not native english speakers should not debate with native english speakers" comment. I just meant that those of you that have a better grip of english should be more willing to interpret the words of us non-native english speakers. I understand and read english with no problems, writing the words down (like speaking them out loud) is much harder however.

Back to the ipone 5
I don't have an iphone, I just want one. I have an android phone now, but It is not for me, I don't like it at all. I read this thread (or try to) to find out if I should try to get my hands on an iphone 5, or if an iphone 4S is better for me right now.

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #140
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovvi View Post

Back to the ipone 5
I don't have an iphone, I just want one. I have an android phone now, but It is not for me, I don't like it at all. I read this thread (or try to) to find out if I should try to get my hands on an iphone 5, or if an iphone 4S is better for me right now.

Clara
If you don't like the Android phone, maybe an iphone would be right for you. I'd advise going to your nearest Apple Store to have a hands on with a display phone. I did that yesterday. The long screen is a little odd, but not as odd as I expected. I can't afford to buy one, though, so will probably buy a 4S second hand to replace my 3GS which, although its still got a lot of life in it, is starting to struggle with some of the app updates from third party suppliers.

And, although I am an iPhone fan, and naturally think everyone should have one, I think you should also look at the Nokia N9, and windows phones as well. They are all good as phones. The OS is what counts... what will work for you, and what you feel attracted to. But the only way to find out is to have one in your hand, switched on, and working. I think with the Nokia and Windows phones, you'll probably have to have a friend with one, to have a good play. With iPhone you can do that in a store.
kyteflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #141
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
Quote:

No. Because the reply was not for you but for the "people that are not native english speakers should not debate with native english speakers" comment. I just meant that those of you that have a better grip of english should be more willing to interpret the words of us non-native english speakers. I understand and read english with no problems, writing the words down (like speaking them out loud) is much harder however.

Back to the ipone 5
Clara
always mean people everywhere
call them out
put spot on them
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #142
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
If you don't like the fanboi wars raging on MR, your first step should be to recognize that you are part of the problem. Which is caused, IMO, in large part by Apple haters coming on to the forum and posing content-free posts in an attempt to bait people who use Apple products, and often with the result of hijacking completely unrelated threads.

Which is not to say that there isn't room for a lot of criticism of Apple; there certainly is. But turning MR into an Apple hate zone isn't good for anyone.
In my understanding MR is a forum for ebooks and ebook reading. Now it's being inundated with threads about a phone. Relevance for ebooks? Nil.
It does seem rather pathetic to use terms like "hater" just because people are critical of the newest gadget produced by some multinational. To use such language indicates that some people do not look at this on a very rational level.

BTW, I am grateful to Apple for a very enjoyable Sunday morning, though. Looking at Apple maps on my wife's iPad was quite entertaining: seaside resorts moved inland, world heritage sites moved to other cities etc. It's amazing. There also has to be some awesome new app that manages to make recent satellite images look like WWII material.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #143
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
In my understanding MR is a forum for ebooks and ebook reading. Now it's being inundated with threads about a phone. Relevance for ebooks? Nil.
Phones have been used for reading ebooks (along with PDA's) long before there were such things as eInk readers or tablets.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #144
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
It does seem rather pathetic to use terms like "hater" just because people are critical of the newest gadget produced by some multinational. To use such language indicates that some people do not look at this on a very rational level.

BTW, I am grateful to Apple for a very enjoyable Sunday morning, though. Looking at Apple maps on my wife's iPad was quite entertaining: seaside resorts moved inland, world heritage sites moved to other cities etc. It's amazing. There also has to be some awesome new app that manages to make recent satellite images look like WWII material.
My brother in law who has long had a love affair with all things Apple, back to the days of the IIe, says that people don't understand the new map system. The relocated sights and scenes aren't errors, they are features designed to make your vacation trips more exciting.

"Oh look, I sure didn't expect to see that lake where the city was supposed to be."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #145
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
If you don't like the Android phone, maybe an iphone would be right for you. I'd advise going to your nearest Apple Store to have a hands on with a display phone. I did that yesterday. The long screen is a little odd, but not as odd as I expected. I can't afford to buy one, though, so will probably buy a 4S second hand to replace my 3GS which, although its still got a lot of life in it, is starting to struggle with some of the app updates from third party suppliers.

And, although I am an iPhone fan, and naturally think everyone should have one, I think you should also look at the Nokia N9, and windows phones as well. They are all good as phones. The OS is what counts... what will work for you, and what you feel attracted to. But the only way to find out is to have one in your hand, switched on, and working. I think with the Nokia and Windows phones, you'll probably have to have a friend with one, to have a good play. With iPhone you can do that in a store.
Thank you! Yes, I will check them out as soon as possible, as soon as iphone 5 becomes available her in Sweden, so probably next week or so...

I don´t hate all things Android, some things about the phone are really nice, but I am more of an Apple person I guess. I just don´t understand why some people feel that the choices they make should be for everyone. I may check out Nokia N9 or a windows phone.

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #146
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The relocated sights and scenes aren't errors, they are features designed to make your vacation trips more exciting.

"Oh look, I sure didn't expect to see that lake where the city was supposed to be."
We have that in the UK right now - Admittedly more because of flooding than poor mapping.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #147
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
I updated my iPhone 4 to the new IOS today, and found something funny in the maps.

The streets in my subdivision have always had the wrong names from Google / mapquest, the street I supposedly live on is actually a dirt track running through a guys property. Apple's IOS 6 maps have all of the street names correct.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #148
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You are kidding, right?
No humor intended.

Perhaps you need to take another look.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #149
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
We have that in the UK right now - Admittedly more because of flooding than poor mapping.
In Europe, we have had people relying on GPS more than their eyes and driving into lakes or rivers. No flooding involved.

More problematic are attempts to follow GPS routes through narrow bending streets while in a large truck and becoming wedged between buildings. The map makers and GPS companies need to differentiate more between car routes and truck routes. The same problem occurs with the vertical clearance of bridges.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #150
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:

Quote:
Clara
For me the conversation is hardest, especially if rapid. Speaking is not so much problem because I choose what to say and how to say it, but understanding idioms and slang is very difficult because interpretative framing and re-framing must occur over and over again and lack of precision by the speaker only compounds the problem and confounds the listener.

This is where "texting" communication with translation is more and more useful.