Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Question Launcher Tile Question

This one is really quick. It's too general to post in one of those threads.

Anyway, with all of those installers that are launched by a tile, do I have to constantly clear away my tiles in order to launch those applications, or will opening them with the library suffice? 'Cause I still plan to use Kobo's reader.

And as an added question, Will I have a problem with Kobo's file structure if I use Coolreader/Koreader? My library is also mainly consisted of kepubs.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The tiles change as you do things. Each time you open a book, the tile for it is put onto the home page. And one is probably pushed off to make room. Same happens for all the other things you can do.. If you dismiss a tile, the tile that was most recently pushed off, should return.

There are two special tiles. The first is always the book you most recently read. If you dismiss this, it is replaced be the next most recently read book. The second tile is the sync tile. This cannot be dismissed using the UI. But, you can get rid of it with my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre. And prevent it and most other tiles from returning.

I don't use the alternative readers, so can't answer the other question.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I dismissed my tiles to KOReader and Launcher, and they both work just fine starting them from the Library. I finally added them to their own Collection, Alternate Readers, so I can always get to them from a first page (or "1 Alternate Readers" might work better so they're always at the top of the Collection list).

I would like to know how to get the tiles back though... they don't seem to ever reappear on the homescreen after dismissing them (probably a good thing so you're not constantly dismissing them, but it's more for my own curiousity if it can be done).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #4
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I dismissed my tiles to KOReader and Launcher, and they both work just fine starting them from the Library. I finally added them to their own Collection, Alternate Readers, so I can always get to them from a first page (or "1 Alternate Readers" might work better so they're always at the top of the Collection list).

I would like to know how to get the tiles back though... they don't seem to ever reappear on the homescreen after dismissing them (probably a good thing so you're not constantly dismissing them, but it's more for my own curiousity if it can be done).
I have played with it for a while. I installed CoolReader and Koreader. It just seems that Koreader constantly freezes when I'm reading a book and it takes AGES to render when I'm trying to change the fonts. It also takes a long time to open the book. I think this is because I'm using mostly kepubs. I wouldn't really recommend using them if the books aren't sorted in folders. It's hard to page through authors...

As for the tiles. It seems that you can get the Koreader tile back by pressing the home button on the Koreader. But this erases the most recent tile on your homescreen.

I deleted both readers after playing around for a while. But I do prefer Coolreader tho... It's just that the device has to restart to exit it...
Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I have played with it for a while. I installed CoolReader and Koreader. It just seems that Koreader constantly freezes when I'm reading a book and it takes AGES to render when I'm trying to change the fonts. It also takes a long time to open the book. I think this is because I'm using mostly kepubs. I wouldn't really recommend using them if the books aren't sorted in folders. It's hard to page through authors...
That's one of the main reasons I use Advboot to launch Koreader. It modifies the startup script so much of Kobo support for their ereader applications never gets to launch leaving more memory and resources for Koreader. Why kill nickel when you never start it.

The downside is that you have to power cycle the reader to switch readers.

The upside is that they don't interfere with each other so I haven't seen many of the issues complained about when using other launch methods.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's one of the main reasons I use Advboot to launch Koreader. It modifies the startup script so much of Kobo support for their ereader applications never gets to launch leaving more memory and resources for Koreader. Why kill nickel when you never start it.

The upside is that they don't interfere with each other so I haven't seen many of the issues complained about when using other launch methods.

Regards,
David
Would you kindly point me to the right direction?

I want to try it.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

Regards,
David
You should see the same using tshering's "Kobo Start Menu" plus it has a few useful utilities including some to use in Nickel.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You should see the same using tshering's "Kobo Start Menu" plus it has a few useful utilities including some to use in Nickel.

Luck;
Ken
I have tried the start menu... I also got some freezes with it. Like when I first installed it, it just froze and won't let me choose any option. A paperclip solved it.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you have Giorgio's Multitouch two Finger Light Adjustment patch installed? The start menu is not compatable with that.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #10
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Did you have Giorgio's Multitouch two Finger Light Adjustment patch installed? The start menu is not compatable with that.

Luck;
Ken
Nopes, the only thing I got installed are the Night Mode, and the Custom Screen Saver. I'm thinking of trying it again, but I don't know if manually searching through folders is my thing...

The only downside that I can see about File Manager system reader is I use Calibre to sort my books. And it'll take me a lifetime to find a book I want to read.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Nopes, the only thing I got installed are the Night Mode, and the Custom Screen Saver. I'm thinking of trying it again, but I don't know if manually searching through folders is my thing...

The only downside that I can see about File Manager system reader is I use Calibre to sort my books. And it'll take me a lifetime to find a book I want to read.
There is a search function just added to Koreader that works with the "calibre.metadata" file that caliber maintains for the books added via calibre. If you are using caliber's generated file structure to store your ebooks onto your device, instead of the normal folder/file structure, then this new function lets you search using a number of caliber maintained fields, including, Series and Tags. A "Browse Series" and "Browse Tags" function was also added to the search. Oh and Koreader has its own "Night Mode" built in.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
There is a search function just added to Koreader that works with the "calibre.metadata" file that caliber maintains for the books added via calibre. If you are using caliber's generated file structure to store your ebooks onto your device, instead of the normal folder/file structure, then this new function lets you search using a number of caliber maintained fields, including, Series and Tags. A "Browse Series" and "Browse Tags" function was also added to the search. Oh and Koreader has its own "Night Mode" built in.

Luck;
Ken
I'll definitely try it again tomorrow. I just want a full screen setting. And the feature settings in kobo is still buggy with kepubs...

One thing why I like Coolreader over Koreader is the text search function... Ooh, and it seems that Coolreader has smaller margins...
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Would you kindly point me to the right direction?

I want to try it.
It's a thread in the Developer's Forum. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233005 for information.

A bit of the PITA to set up the first time I used it since the instructions were not all that clear at that time but easier now though how much that is due to familiarity is another question.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
It's a thread in the Developer's Forum. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233005 for information.

A bit of the PITA to set up the first time I used it since the instructions were not all that clear at that time but easier now though how much that is due to familiarity is another question.

Regards,
David
That really looks like a PITA to install... And much more complicated than what I imagined... It might just be beyond my level...