Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Does the Nook STR support ePub embedded fonts?

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and am glad to have found it.

I'm considering purchasing a Nook STR (The *new* one) and I'd like to know if the device supports embedded fonts in ePub files. I'd like to be able to read the occasional Japanese book on my Nook and I believe the device doesn't include Japanese fonts.

As I understand it, with a little manual editing I can embed any font into an ePub file I want -- however not all readers will then use the font. Is the Nook STR one of the readers that *does* support these embedded fonts?

Thanks!
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
No one knows for sure as it hasn't come out yet. On first generation of the nook, I can read unicode encoded epub embedded with customized Chinese fonts without any issue (you can also put the font on SD card and use style sheet on epub so you don't have to embed the font for each book and saves some space). I would guess: 1. if it works with Chinese, theoretically it should work with Japanese; and 2. if it works with the first generation nook, it should work with the new nook - again theoretically.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
doesn't. I'm trying to learn how to embed fonts as Chinese pdfs can't change text size either.
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
This guy claims his Calibre plugin to change the default font in an epub works for the Nook Touch, but I've not tried it myself.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I haven't tried it with Calibre changing/embedding the font, but books coming from publishers with an embedded font are working for me.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It definitely supports embedded fonts.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote