Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #31
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
Thanks Roy. I'm going to ask (beg) my folks in DC to apply for the card and pick up the reader. My only concern is that they will be coming to Canada on the 21st to help me prepare for my wedding.

This is the kind of favour that you could only ask a close family member without it sounding too crass...
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 AM   #32
bigumpah

Roy,
Can you please confirm the steps as I will be emailing instructions to my very impatient father? I'm sorry if I appear dense by repeating your post. I just don't want to confuse my dad and possibly delay getting the device.

Question:
When you apply for the card, don't you normally have to wait a couple of days to get approved?

Your Steps:

These are the steps that you followed?
- 1 You applied on Saturday and spoke to a human agent.
(I'm assuming that it was approved on that very day, because your wife
insisted that they ups it to her?)
-2 Upon receiving the card, you followed the link:
http//www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/sonycard/
-3 While visiting the site above, you contacted an agent at 1866 556 7669
and requested that they manually implement the $49 by adding reward
points to the card since you only get 25 points for signing up and you need
50 is take advantage of a deal.

Thanks in advance,
Vincent
Advert
Old 07-11-2007, 02:27 AM   #33
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Vincent.. Ohh.. I'd hate to have to put my Dad through that!!! In fact. He couldn't do it... Of course my Dad couldn't dial a Cell phone... But he built the house I'm sitting in!

I hope your Dad is patient. I hope (Think) they will have this thing fixed soon. The guy my wife talked to on the phone said he was going to be talking to his manager to get it fixed so the link and the card will work to buy the Reader for 49 bucks. My Wife had to go through quite a Dog And Pony show to get them to come through for her.

She CAN talk the hind leg off a Hound Dog so it didn't surprise me a bit.

Yes You normally have to wait a couple of days before you get the card. They approved us when I applied for her card. They just didn't issue the card number on the internet.

I got them to send the card UPS because I wsn't sure how long the Special offer was going to last. (Until January 2008 as it turns out so you don't have to hurry)

After you get the card its pretty easy to order the reader you just have to be patient and have the operator (At Sony) walk you though it making sure he or she is monitoring your order so you don't accidentally pay the full price. Our guy had to artificially add 'points' to her brand new card before she could buy the reader for 49 dollars and its possible only my wife could accomplish this feat!

After all there are quite a few 3 legged Hound Dogs in our neighborhood!

Good luck. I wish I could help more...

Roy
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #34
bigumpah

Thanks Roy! BTW, you pretty much profiled my dad correctly.
He's the extremely busy type who loathes wasting time chasing after people.

I'm kinda stuck as my folks are coming to Canada on the 21st, so maybe if I cry enough. In any case I'm ordering my Iliad today, the Sony Reader will be for my fiancée.

Vincent
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #35
Jersey
Jersey began at the beginning.

Device: FRPRS500U
adding my 2cents on info about this offer

applied for my card on friday 7/7, waited... and card arrived in the mail today 7/13. wow only one week. after several calls to chase and sony rewards, as there is really no information on what to do after getting the card. I got a knowledgeable cs rep at sony rewards who added the 25 points to my account, I asked him if I would recive the reader before the end of the month so i can get the bounus $ from connect. He told me that as long as my order was placed by monday 7/16 that I would have it in time. Well i ordered today so we shall see. He knew just what to do when i called (so i would assume he knows what hes talking about) Wish i had known about this site before all the calls i had to make today. now i cant wait to get it and look forward to being a member of this forum.

Well wanted to report that after 7 full days(now 7/21) of waiting theres no change in my order status (not shipped yet), just checked credit card status and it still hasnt been charged. hope they ship this week......

Last edited by Jersey; 07-21-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: update
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #36
iegubkin
iegubkin began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770/Sony Reader
little hint

Hello all,

Just wanted to give you guys a little help in submitting your order to the sonyrewards.com site after you get your card and activate it. When you first visit there you need to register and set up an account. When you do this you are given 25 points. Unfortunately you need 50 to place an order to redeem your sony reader discount. To get an extra 50 points the sony customer service rep told me to add an item or two to my wish list (I added the PS3). This gave me an extra 50 points (75 total) and I was able to add the reader to my cart and check out. When I added the reader, the discount appeared automatically. You then have to buy some "sony rewards points" to complete the deal. In total the final cost shipped was $59.24 (5924 points x $0.01).

I first applied for the deal a week ago (09-July-07), received the card and placed the order today (16-July-07). Pretty smooth. Hope this helps a little.

P.S. I never received an email from Sony acknowledging the discount or any instructions.
iegubkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #37
rdelfin
rdelfin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader 500
Howdy!

I just got my Sony Visa credit card, activated by phone, went to the Sony rewards site, created an account, added the eReader to my e-shopping cart and proceeded to checkout showing the discount without a hitch.

Everything was pretty straight forward and there wasn't a need to call anyone... but I still did.

The reason I called was, as Iegubkin posted, that in order to complete the transaction, you are required to purchase rewards points (5,949 in my case = $59.49), and I wondered why I was going to pay at the end 60 dollars instead of the 50 that the AD promised. The person on the phone told me because of the 10-dollar Shipping fee. So I thought important to let y'all know.

My $300 eReader is on its way for just $60. Pretty sweet deal!

Cheers!
Rafa.

PS: another credit card is the least thing I need in my life, so after I pay off my $60-balance, I'm thinking of cancelling it. Are there any penalty fees for closing a credit card that soon?

Last edited by rdelfin; 07-19-2007 at 08:47 AM.
rdelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #38
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yep just got my card and placed the order. I kept looking for Gotchas! the whole time but it was pretty painless.

Nice to have a spare Reader on the way. I have mine with me at home and at work and take it pretty much anywhere I go. I have something over 200 books loaded on it. I'm always paranoid that I'm going to damage it. It will be a nice insurance policy and sense of comfort to know there's another one here... just in case.
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #39
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Rdelfin:

Regarding cancellation, I have similar thoughts. I reckon that having a credit card that you only used once, paid the balance in full and on time, will not adversely affect (or is it effect?) your credit score overmuch. I plan to wait a year, then cancel.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
affect (or is it effect?)
Definitely "affect."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #41
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Definitely "affect."
Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun

You Affect something. That produces an Effect.

Affect: To have an influence on or to a change

Effect: Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.

(The Curse of being an English Major)
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well said, Fitzwaryn! The affect/effect thing is a hang-up of mine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #43
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
See, I knew there was a rule, I just forgot what it is.

As my seniour level English teacher told us, when we studied grammar in our last week, rather than watching Shakespeare on VHS videocassettes:
"Do not work with what sounds right. Most occasions, you will be wrong."
;-

Back to the Thread:
Does anyone plan to keep their account active and/or open for much longer after they receive their Reader?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #44
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
See, I knew there was a rule, I just forgot what it is.

As my seniour level English teacher told us, when we studied grammar in our last week, rather than watching Shakespeare on VHS videocassettes:
"Do not work with what sounds right. Most occasions, you will be wrong."
;-

Back to the Thread:
Does anyone plan to keep their account active and/or open for much longer after they receive their Reader?
What I'll probably do is just put the card away in my document box in the closet. Wills and things like that stay locked in it and except in those rare instances when I need some historical document it's one of those things you never think about. It just stays back in the corner of the closet, never seen, never thought about.

Then in a year or so I'll run across the card in there and think "Gee might as well go ahead and cancel this."
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #45
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"Effect" can also be a verb, and "affect" can be a noun. Here's a good explanation:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/affect.html
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote