Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Pandigital Novel

Is there any difference between the black case model and the white case model? I see that in the US Sears is selling the black model and Kohl's carries the white one. Any technical differences between the two or is it just the color of the case?
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index...#The_Black_One

Mostly from a hacking perspective, but that might help, all the same.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The black model is a downgrade hardware wise and runs an older version of android. The touchscreen is also less responsive. The case is smaller and better designed though. Avoid the black model at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Is there any difference between the black case model and the white case model? I see that in the US Sears is selling the black model and Kohl's carries the white one. Any technical differences between the two or is it just the color of the case?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Thank you, guys. This is great information. I heard this is the same hardware of the Pocketbook 701 IQ tablet. I am assuming the Pocketbook one would be based on the white model and could also be hacked to support Android apps.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
according to the Pocketbook reps, the IQ sports a faster processor

I'm leaning that way. it's only 140, and comes with DJVU support (I run into this format forold scanned books fairly often)

gonna wait until some people have them in hand though, because I need a reader than can read largish PDFs (scanned books). otherwise I'll hold off for a year and I'm sure there will be some great stuff out
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

Good idea. There will be a lot of neat stuff coming out. There will be some interesting things happening next year in the ebook and tablet market. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that by the end of next year, we should see an ipad equivalent tablet with better e-reading capabilities for around $200 US.

As far as the IQ, I placed an order today and I will expense it through work. I have a good feeling about it. For ~ $150 US, there is not much to lose and a lot to gain. If I can turn it into my own little personal tablet, it would be very much worth it. I will be posting a review as soon as I get it.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
look forward to your review

I really want to see how it handles a large scanned PDF (what I really want it for). So please try one (I'll be happy to provide one if it'll help).
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

I will. As soon as I get it, I will ask you for the file so that I can test it.