Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Update Kindle 2 web browser to that of K3 - possible?

I like the K3 browser - it's much improved - can a K2 web browser be upgraded to the same version as the K3 web browser?

Last edited by menevets; 10-15-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: k3
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
you have to ask amazon that... last time(when the k2 didnt have pdf support, only dx), they added pdf support a long time after it came out...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
There is absolutely no reason why they can not, The hardware is virtually identical between the two units. Most of the differences in the units are superficial.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Differentiator

If it's true that the hardware is the same, if I were Amazon, I'd hold off on the update so that I could sell more Kindle 3s. If that's the case, then an update might take awhile.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
This is what has people who bought the DXG like myself angry. We want new features like browser/PDF because we spent 400$ on a device for new screen (that's all they changed over DX) and they refuse to release our firmware because of the K3, which I have absolutely no desire in ever buying. I'd rather wait for hacked firmware than get a K3, or a future model, or none at all.

DX and K lines are essentially 2 parallel product lines, I don't know why amazon is being ignorant.

DX was released with K2, and then DXG with K3, more or less. The technology is very close, and so is the time frame, it only makes sense that the features be comparable. Obviously the hardware supports software going all the way back to the K1, but amazon is going to have to draw the line somewhere to spike new sales.

I really hope they are planning something extraordinary for the DX like a superb PDF reader with reflow and annotations and smooth-scrolling/text darkening and font substitution. However, I really think that they would rather abandon the DX lines as the K lines will always see more sales just because of the price tag.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
There isn't anything technically stopping Amazon from doing this apart from promoting it as a benefit of upgrading to a Kindle 3.

However for us to do it, it would require a lot of work as its not a simple switch. To even get it running you'd need a large amount of work to get all the necessary libraries like the WebKit core, font rendering system, fonts themselves and other support files working on the Kindle 2 whilst making sure nothing conflicts.

You'll also have to modify the Java based launcher that actually runs the Kindle UI to start the Kindle 3 browser instead and make it compatible with the Kindle store if you completely replace the old browser.

For Amazon to do this themselves would be significantly simpler since they can integrate it into the Kindle firmware with the benefits of having the source code to everything available. We only get partial source as the Amazon proprietory items are all closed source.

In short, it won't be simple. It'd require some major modifications to the Kindle 2 if we were to do it. The browser APIs and libraries are poorly documented for both the Kindle 2 and Kindle 3 so you'd have to do a lot of work and research yourself if you take on this project.

Last edited by Tiersten; 10-16-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote