Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Weird.... There was still no sign of the upgrade, so I decided to power the unit down and turn it back on.

On turn on, there was a very brief message "applying update" but still when I went into settings, it showed the old version.

However, this time, a check for update showed the update as being available.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
For those that have issues. Have you modified the kobo software that would have been on the stock device?
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I have to say I've been problem free since updating last night. I find my arc is running faster overall, my apps open quickly, and responsiveness is great. I do kind of miss the placement of the time/wifi/battery icons at the bottom but it's not a huge issue for me. As for the movement of the back/home/multitask(?) buttons to the centre of the screen, since I tend to use my device held in one hand this isn't an issue for me. Robin I commend you and your team on a job well done. (These are my opinions and experiences. Those who disagree, please don't hurt me )
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
For those that have issues. Have you modified the kobo software that would have been on the stock device?
Other than turning off KoboTracking (which was renamed to KoboSystem in a previous update - unethically sneaky) and Discovery Service, as well as updating the apps through Google Play, no. And first thing I did was re-enable KoboTracking and Discovery Service and reboot. No change, except that Tapestries was sent into the load -> instant crash cycle right away rather than go through a few minutes of laggy performance before crashing the first time.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
I have made no under-the-hood modifications. I have a very few custom settings, such as having Chrome as my default browser. And now I installed the Nova launcher. And I disabled some services, from the settings menu. Tapestries is still nonfunctioning, but my Arc is working.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
islandgirl
islandgirl began at the beginning.

tapestries no longer working

Quote:
Not a techie by a long shot...have made NO mods and have enjoyed using my Arc on a daily basis...till today when after the update my screen says..."unfortunately, tapestries has stopped". Being a visual artist I loved using tapestries! Any way to get the tapestry function working again?
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Unhappy

After a day with the new update, I can say I am unimpressed with how they incorporated the JellyBean version of android with the ARC.

The notification area is pathetic when compared with other devices using the same version of android. Most of the functionality that I used is gone adjusting the brightness, easy wifi access, no separation between task that run always (antivirus for example) and true notifications(they are all mixed together), etc. etc.

The placement of the softkeys at the bottom of the screen - back, home & recent buttons make it harder to reach when in landscape, and then there is a LOT of wasted space...

As I said below, the inability to use the lock screen functionality that is available on other devices...

All in all I'm starting to think I should have gone with a different tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndersk View Post
Updated to jellybean.... one of the features on my phone that I love is the ability to customize the lock screen - with different wallpaper, weather, tickers etc. I'm not sure why this was not included..... ???
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
kamaal
kamaal began at the beginning.

Hi Robin

First of all, congratulations for releasing the upgrade - it is a change we have all been looking forward to.

I do share many of the concerns expressed in this thread (especially ease of access to things like brightness control), but most importantly, for me at least, is Arabic support: I have been happily using my koboarc to read Arabic websites etc., but now it seems that the font for Arabic is no longer there! Is it just a matter of tweaking some settings or has support for Arabic been dropped?

Arabic support and display quality were my main reasons for buying the koboarc, so it would be a big shame if Arabic support is dropped... please tell me I just need to change some settings, please...! (or that there will be a patch/small update soon).

Many thanks in advance for the clarification.

Best regards,
Kamaal

Last edited by kamaal; 03-22-2013 at 06:20 PM.
kamaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl View Post
<snip>"unfortunately, tapestries has stopped". ... Any way to get the tapestry function working again?
I find that switching off and on again has always (so far) cured any problems of the "launcher has stopped" variety.
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

new screen layout

Can someone post some screenshots of Jelly Bean on Kobo?

I gather it looks like the Nexus 7. I prefer the way Acer did the Iconia A700.

Last edited by EricG; 03-22-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: smaller image
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

Device: Repurposed Fire 7 &10 epub/pdf reader-Kobo Nia: KOReader & Plato
My update failed miserably. My apps are crashing. Nothing is working any more. Only get a message that the update was corrupted yet it was applied.
Albertde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #27
Albertde
Albertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it isAlbertde knows what time it is

The machine is now trying to re-download a 328MB update; hopefully, it will work this time.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #28
Albertde

I had to do some re-organizing but it appears to be working.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
mesamuel
mesamuel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Arc 32 GB
So far, so good.

I upgraded this afternoon and everything seems to be OK. I thought it was a little sluggish at first but it was back to normal after 10 minutes. I don't mind the placement of the notifications at the top; I actually prefer it because it's the same as my Nexus 4 phone.
However, I am curious as to why some Google apps are still not compatible with my Arc even after the update. Instagram & Vevo, for instance. Otherwise, all is good!
mesamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #30
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Can someone post some screenshots of Jelly Bean on Kobo?
Yeah, it is the same as the Nexus 7, 'cept with Tapestries between the Back/Home/Recent bar at the bottom and the tiny notifications bar up top (and even keeps the orientation lock on the notifications bar pulldown - even though you can't use Tapestries in landscape mode. Apparently Kobo's programmers couldn't figure out how to rearrange icons during orientation changes, unlike the programmers of every other Android launcher...).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote