Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is your preferred format style if you had a choice? Not what will you accept, but what will you prefer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is your preferred format style if you had a choice? Not what will you accept, but what will you prefer?
Can I tell where a paragraph starts? Can I tell where a paragraph ends? Can I tell where sentences start and end? Pretty simple. I'm currently reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin books. A single space indent and no spaces between paragraphs. Just like Wool, I tell where the paragraph starts and where the paragraph ends.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Can I tell where a paragraph starts? Can I tell where a paragraph ends? Can I tell where sentences start and end? Pretty simple. I'm currently reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin books. A single space indent and no spaces between paragraphs. Just like Wool, I tell where the paragraph starts and where the paragraph ends.
That doesn't answer the question at all. What formatting do you prefer given your choice? Not if I can do this or that, it's OK.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That's fairly irrelevant to anyone BUT me isn't it? I don't want to turn this thread into another ebook formatting referendum (there's more than enough of those already), when it's supposed to be about Wool's availability in ePub. Start a new thread in the appropriate forum if you want to talk formatting/typography preferences.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool "Mine doesn't handle .azw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's fairly irrelevant to anyone BUT me isn't it? I don't want to turn this thread into another ebook formatting referendum (there's more than enough of those already), when it's supposed to be about Wool's availability in ePub. Start a new thread in the appropriate forum if you want to talk formatting/typography preferences.
Before we abandon this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I'm always bang up to date with Kovid's latest offers, load 'em as soon as they come out.
Mine doesn't handle .azw ............
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
From what you are saying I'd recommend that you open a thread in the Calibre Forum's Conversion Sub-Forum and ask for help concerning this problem there.
Quote:
So what was the solution to your problem?!
....I'm still interested in if and how carpetmojo solved the problem of "Mine doesn't handle .azw"?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Before we abandon this thread....

....I'm still interested in if and how carpetmojo solved the problem of "Mine doesn't handle .azw"?
Well that's at least somewhat relevant to getting Wool into the ePub format.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Wool Omnibus is also available from Kobo in ePub.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well that's at least somewhat relevant to getting Wool into the ePub format.
But why buy from Amazon when there already exists an ePub edition and all of your devices are using ADE?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #39
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Wool Omnibus is also available from Kobo in ePub.
And it appears to be couponable!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But why buy from Amazon when there already exists an ePub edition and all of your devices are using ADE?
I give up. Why?

I don't recall suggesting that anyone do anything in particular (other than read the book, of course).
Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #41
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Best answer is silence.

Quote:
Quote:
I give up. Why?

I don't recall suggesting that anyone do anything in particular (other than read the book, of course).

Best answer is silence.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #42
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I had a weird thing happen when I read the first three Wool books on my Sony reader. I downloaded them from Amazon (why would I do such a thing? well they were free!) and then converted them in Calibre. The files had extra characters here and there. They are not typos. For a long time I wondered if they were a secret code and I would scrutinize them closely. But I got books 4 and 5 from B&N and they didn't have these extra characters. I have no idea what could have caused this. Here are some examples, copy and pasted from Calibre:

had felt,>As with its floors and floors of apartments

“Do you think it was an accident? A fire or a power outag, be?”

The first year without angher, Holston had waited,

Although I have "bought" dozens and dozens of Amazon freebies, these are the first that I actually *read* so I have no idea if it happens frequently with Amazon books converted with Calibre.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo has the omnibus for $5.45 CAD http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Wool-...UuQ/page1.html
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I had a weird thing happen when I read the first three Wool books on my Sony reader. I downloaded them from Amazon (why would I do such a thing? well they were free!) and then converted them in Calibre. The files had extra characters here and there. They are not typos. For a long time I wondered if they were a secret code and I would scrutinize them closely. But I got books 4 and 5 from B&N and they didn't have these extra characters. I have no idea what could have caused this. Here are some examples, copy and pasted from Calibre:

had felt,>As with its floors and floors of apartments

“Do you think it was an accident? A fire or a power outag, be?”

The first year without angher, Holston had waited,

Although I have "bought" dozens and dozens of Amazon freebies, these are the first that I actually *read* so I have no idea if it happens frequently with Amazon books converted with Calibre.

eP
I don't see those errors in the Omnibus edition. Take a look at the Amazon versions and see if you see the errors there. Maybe they were cleaned up for the Omnibus version after these errors were pointed out.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do like that Wool (at Kobo) is using the fan made cover that is much better. It's the cover I've chosen to use as well.