Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Problems opening a .epub from Mobileread.com

Hi Mike:

I have issues navigating the recently posted ebook Swift, Jonathan: Gulliver's Travels. (Illustrated) V1. 24 May 2010.

It seems that with my Firefox version 3.5.9 and EPUBReader v1.2.8.2 I cannot navigate (using the <-"left" "right"-> arrow buttons at the bottom) past the "Part I. A Voyage to Lilliput" Table of Contents ["p1-index" i.e. lilliput/index.xhtml]. It reverts back to the ["index" i.e. main level index.xhtml]. Same thing happens for the Part II, Part III and Part IV index pages.

However, using the toc.ncx menu to navigate works as does opening it with Abode Digital Editions.

It appears that EPUBReader cannot differentiate between the subdirectory index.xhtml and main level index.xhtml files.

Also, I'm having a problem saving just the target link as an .epub using Firefox's "Save Link As..." since it always opens the Save dialog with a "attachment.php" filename. This could also be a Mobileread.com web server issue.

Any insights?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Hi nrapallo,

thanks for your posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I have issues navigating the recently posted ebook Swift, Jonathan: Gulliver's Travels. (Illustrated) V1. 24 May 2010.
It appears that EPUBReader cannot differentiate between the subdirectory index.xhtml and main level index.xhtml files.
Yes, you are right. This is an EPUBReader bug and has to do with the identical filenames. I'll fix this in the next version.

Quote:
Also, I'm having a problem saving just the target link as an .epub using Firefox's "Save Link As..." since it always opens the Save dialog with a "attachment.php" filename. This could also be a Mobileread.com web server issue.
This seems to be a Mobileread.com webserver issue, because "Save as" is a standard Firefox function which has nothing to do with EPUBReader.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Hi nrapallo,

thanks for your posting!

Yes, you are right. This is an EPUBReader bug and has to do with the identical filenames. I'll fix this in the next version.
Thanks for finding the fix so quickly!

Quote:
This seems to be a Mobileread.com webserver issue, because "Save as" is a standard Firefox function which has nothing to do with EPUBReader.
Yes, you're right; I've seen this behaviour before and I think clearing my cache may fix it (from what I recall the last time this happened!)
Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I run into this as well. I just copy the epub name before clicking Save Link As and paste the name in the box in place of attachment.php and it downloads fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I run into this as well. I just copy the epub name before clicking Save Link As and paste the name in the box in place of attachment.php and it downloads fine.

I'm still having this problem and no amount of cache clearing seems to revert this odd behaviour back to the norm.

@dwanthny:
Nice solution, though!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:

I've checked now in detail what has to be done. It seems to be that it's not very hard to fix this, but as this is a core functionality, I need some time to test this in detail. On the other hand I want to finish the new version as soon as possible. For this reason I'll fix this not in the coming version but in the version after this.

Quote:
I had a again a look at this problem. My first assumption, that this has nothing to do with EPUBReader, was wrong. The problem is caused by EPUBReader because EPUBReader needs to change the HTTP header which sends the information about the filename. Unfortunately I can't change this, because otherwise EPUBReader doesn't work correctly. So for the moment the only solution is to enter the filename by hand.

Last edited by mikelv; 06-08-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
nrapallo

Quote:
I had a again a look at this problem. My first assumption, that this has nothing to do with EPUBReader, was wrong. The problem is caused by EPUBReader because EPUBReader needs to change the HTTP header which sends the information about the filename. Unfortunately I can't change this, because otherwise EPUBReader doesn't work correctly. So for the moment the only solution is to enter the filename by hand.
bump...

BTW, I can properly save .epub ebooks from www.gutenberg.org but still cannot do so from www.mobileread.com. All I get for a filename for Mobileread.com .epub's is "attachment.php" which means you're not getting (or being given) the correct info in the HTTP headers. It was working before...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BTW, I can properly save .epub ebooks from www.gutenberg.org but still cannot do so from www.mobileread.com. All I get for a filename for Mobileread.com .epub's is "attachment.php" which means you're not getting (or being given) the correct info in the HTTP headers. It was working before...
You most likely know this but substituting "bookname,epub" for "attachment.php" will download the epub fine. Inconvenient, but functional.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You most likely know this but substituting "bookname,epub" for "attachment.php" will download the epub fine. Inconvenient, but functional.
Yes, a month ago it was functional, now it's just inconvenient.

EPUBReader is my preferred .epub viewer/tester and I DO appreciate all the effort Mike has put into it. It's been "rock-solid", but now it seems I've discovered a tiny pebble in my shoe.... When you're ready, Mike, is fine by me!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I've discovered a tiny pebble in my shoe....
That pebble is why I removed the extension.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
bump...

Hi nrapallo,

I understand that this is annoying, but unfortunately I can't improve this.

The reason why Gutenberg and Mobileread behave different is, that they use different ways to deliver the epubs: Mobileread uses the "content-disposition" header which is perfect for this purpose, Gutenberg does not. I had to make a change in EPUBReader which unfortunately has this effect if "content-disposition" is used. This change was necessary because of a change in Firefox.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #12
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
bump...

I investigated this once again and I'm happy that I found now a solution for the problem . It will be fixed in the next version.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
I investigated this once again and I'm happy that I found now a solution for the problem . It will be fixed in the next version.