Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
dustyp
dustyp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Move book into Calibre

Is there any way when importing books into Calibre to automatically delete the original file when it has been imported? i.e. Move rather than Copy.
dustyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre will not delete the original file, you must do so yourself. The exception is when putting stuff into an auto-add folder.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
dustyp

That's a shame. It would be wonderful when importing multiple files to move the originals rather than needing to go back and delete them.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyp View Post
That's a shame. It would be wonderful when importing multiple files to move the originals rather than needing to go back and delete them.
did you miss the part about using the Auto-Add folder feature?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
dustyp

I am trying to find the auto-add feature.
The problem with Calibre is that it sufffers from rampant featuritis and I don't know everything
Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Preferences ==> Import/Export ==> Adding books ==> Automatic adding (tab)
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
dustyp

Smile

OK, Auto-add does what I want.
Thank you.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You're welcome.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
dagale
dagale began at the beginning.

Device: iMac
Can't Add from iBooks

I'm having a very basic new user problem. I have Calibre on my Imac and have clicked on Add Books, then opened Applications, then tried to open iBooks, in which I have a number of books. It doesn't open therefore I can't select a book to Add to Calibre. I have authorised 'All Files'. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
dagale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not believe that you can transfer books from iBooks into Calibre!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

If your iTunes books are not purchased from Apple but are DRM-free EPUBs from elsewhere, you can add the books from the originals. If you lost the originals, then you will have to hunt down where iTunes keeps the books, so you can point calibre at those files.
You are probably still screwed, because the latest version of Mac OSX has iBooks, which you appear to be using, which is bad because Apple decided to rip apart all iTunes books and stick them in iBooks storage as obfuscated fragments.
You cannot piece them back together into something other programs will understand -- or at least, no one to my knowledge has ever done it.

If the books were purchased from iTunes, then you have just learned why people Never Ever Ever buy ebooks from Apple. You cannot retrieve them, sorry.

What is the moral of this story? Well, I am the type of person who believes all Macs should be set on fire but one thing everyone agrees on is that when it comes to ebooks, Apple is just plain evil.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-20-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
dagale
dagale began at the beginning.

Device: iMac
Thanks Itimpi and eschwartz - I think I'm failing to understand just what books I can Add to Calibre. Isn't that the point of Calibre - to add books from a variety of sources, make a library and make all the formats the same? Can you give me examples of where I could source books from? Would my Kindle app be appropriate? Thanks again.
dagale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagale View Post
Thanks Itimpi and eschwartz - I think I'm failing to understand just what books I can Add to Calibre. Isn't that the point of Calibre - to add books from a variety of sources, make a library and make all the formats the same? Can you give me examples of where I could source books from? Would my Kindle app be appropriate? Thanks again.
Kindle App, pretty much ANY ePub bookstore except Apple, Project Gutenberg, Baen - the list is extensive. Just avoid buying eBooks from Apple if you want to read them on any device other than an iPhone/iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes, it is a special Apple thing.

Apple is well-known for stopping people from doing anything they haven't directly authorized, and trying their best to get you to do everything through iTunes.

I don't love their policy on appstore apps only, the my-way-or-the-highway attitude behind OSX and iOS, although I get that it doesn't bother other people.

Content on the other hand, it is inexcusable when content is locked to certain devices. Apple no longer locks music, but they still lock videos and books, and unlike other companies they are constantly fighting attempts to unlock it. (And you cannot even download the app on competing smartphones/tablets/PCs.)

You can unlock DRMed Kindle books using the tools and guide here: http://aprenticealf.wordpress.com
Amazon, Adobe, Kobo & Co. have ther token DRM, which has all been broken, and they don't really care. Apple cares, and changes their methods constantly until the people like alf (or brahms) give up and say "buy from Amazon already!!!".

Tags
import books, move