Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
PRS-T1 & Reader Library

I'm having problems here. Does the T1 work with the Reader Library or not? I can't get it to recognize my T1. All I get is "error" in the place where the device would show.

I can download a book to the reader library from my Mac, but since the reader Library does not recognize my T1, I can't put them into the device from the Reader Library. I can put it into my device from yy Mac downloads though.

I'm reluctant to download the new Sony Software because I 'm not sure exactly what it is suppose to do. Does it enable you to download to your device from it? Or is it a just read the books online software?

I've gone over the User Manual & can't find any info on this.

I buy a lot of books from other bookstores so I don't want to be tied to the Sony Store.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you using the latest version Reader Library?

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using the old Reader Library. I'm not sure how to work with the new Reader Software.

Once I downloaded the New Reader Software, the old reader Library recognized my T1 but I could not put books into it form the old Reader Library.

I'm going to try working with the new one now & see what happens.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good luck! I've not installed the new Reader Library. So I'm of no help there.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
try the Reader PC software that's included on the PRS-T1....apparently some are having problems with the stock software that's available from Sony.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru

Could you explain to me how that will enable me to download form say Books on Board, then to My Old Reader Library & then to My T1...Or from Books on Board to the Sony Reader Software & then to my T1?

I have no difficulty downloading from the Sony Reader Store on my T1. I'm having difficulty loading form the Reader Library to the T1. I got it to recognize the T1 but it won't download to the device from the Reader Library.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Could you explain to me how that will enable me to download form say Books on Board, then to My Old Reader Library & then to My T1...Or from Books on Board to the Sony Reader Software & then to my T1?

I have no difficulty downloading from the Sony Reader Store on my T1. I'm having difficulty loading form the Reader Library to the T1. I got it to recognize the T1 but it won't download to the device from the Reader Library.
no idea, just passing on what sony said.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Nothing helpful to offer - aside from the observation that, despite spending a good dozen hours trying to make it work, I just couldn't use the new software. Bugs, freezes, partial support of annotations and unrecognized content all plague it. Can someone confirm that you cannot use the Reader Library software with the T1? Because I was planning on buying one - but I won't if I can't use the old software with it, I need something that correctly displays annotations on my PC screen.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I cannot get the old software to work with the new reader. I'm torn between returning it & taking pleasure in chucking it across the room right now.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I cannot get the old software to work with the new reader. I'm torn between returning it & taking pleasure in chucking it across the room right now.
That's because you need to use the new version.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I am trying to use the new version. It's forever NOT RESPONDING. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I am trying to use the new version. It's forever NOT RESPONDING. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Most of the issues with the previous Reader Library were due to other software running on the computer. Try disabling everything you can and try again.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I currently have both Reader Library and Reader for Mac installed on my computer. You can have both installed on your computer at the same time since they are independent programs. Reader for Mac is intended to replace Reader Library, and I don't believe that Sony will continue to support the old software in the future. You can import files into the new software from other sources like the library or BooksonBoard. The difference is that it will place the files in a new folder called Documents > My Books > Reader. You can setup collections and then sync them with your ereader, both the T1 and the older models. The new software has its pros and cons. I like the old software better like the others have commented since the new software seems to have lost some feature and is slow and somewhat unstable. It is clearly version 1.0 and needs some work.

I am currently not sure how I want to organize my T1 since I don't plan to use the new software with my 350/950. Therefore, I don't really want to import my entire library into the new software and have two software programs to manage.

Vxf, at the moment syncing doesn't seem to work properly between the T1 and the new software and my 950. Others are having similar issues. Once they fix the syncing, you could theoretically wirelessly sync between the T1 and your 950 and then use your 950 to transfer notes back to the old Reader Library software.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I currently have both Reader Library and Reader for Mac installed on my computer. You can have both installed on your computer at the same time since they are independent programs. Reader for Mac is intended to replace Reader Library, and I don't believe that Sony will continue to support the old software in the future. You can import files into the new software from other sources like the library or BooksonBoard. The difference is that it will place the files in a new folder called Documents > My Books > Reader. You can setup collections and then sync them with your ereader, both the T1 and the older models. The new software has its pros and cons. I like the old software better like the others have commented since the new software seems to have lost some feature and is slow and somewhat unstable. It is clearly version 1.0 and needs some work.

I am currently not sure how I want to organize my T1 since I don't plan to use the new software with my 350/950. Therefore, I don't really want to import my entire library into the new software and have two software programs to manage.

Vxf, at the moment syncing doesn't seem to work properly between the T1 and the new software and my 950. Others are having similar issues. Once they fix the syncing, you could theoretically wirelessly sync between the T1 and your 950 and then use your 950 to transfer notes back to the old Reader Library software.
I was actually able to import annotations. But they don't display on screen in the new software. I know they are there - I verified by annotating a paper on my 950, transferring to the new software (handwritten notes didn't display) and then transferring onto the 350 from the software. Notes appeared on the 350. So they are stored - just don't display on the new software. I am talking about handwritten notes on a PDF. Highlights and bookmarks do display. Just not 'scribbling'.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Actually when you install the new reader software the first message I got after it installed was, "We detect a Reader database do you want to import it to here?" I answered yes and it moved the files. Then it took a really long time before it recognized the new reader.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote