Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
JodyXo
JodyXo began at the beginning.

Device: None.
Kindle Touch or non-touch Kindle 4?

i have an ipad 2 already, which does almost everything. but it's awful when it comes to reading... i have the kindle app, and plenty of books but can't read as often as i used to because it's heavy and it hurts my eyes. so i just decided to get a kindle, but it's unbelievably difficult, since it'll be my very first eReader, i really have no idea what i should be looking for!
i know the touch one has twice the capacity and battery life, and it also has text-to-speech feature. but i think having an eReader with a touch screen wouldn't be fun since i'll probably be turning pages by mistake all the time.
what do you think?
i'm really torn between the two
if you've tried both, please tell me which one you like better

thanks
JodyXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the Touch, and love it. I've never turned the page by mistake - you wouldn't read with your fingers on the screen, would you? You'd be hiding the text if you did. It's not like the iPad, which is essentially all screen.

For me it's a complete no-brainer. The Touch has double the battery life and almost 3x the storage, for $20 more than the non-Touch. Get the Touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
jcurt171
jcurt171 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just got the KT and love it. Yes, it's possible to turn an extra page once in a great while using the Touch but that's not much of an issue. Remember you can also swipe which, I've found, never results in an extra page. I also like the small size which makes it very easy to handle in a multitude of reading situations and positions. I take it with me everywhere, just in case, lol.
jcurt171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I would suggest the smallest kindle because it will fit in more pockets than any other kindle and it has dedicated page-turn buttons and is really cheap.

The kindle touch has much better specs than the smallest non-touch model, but it appears to be just a bit better than non-touch in areas where your iPad 2 excels above and beyond what you can do with e-ink technology. (Altough I personally prefer a netbook over a tablet, I can see it's usefullness reading color pdf's and surfing the web).

Last edited by tovare; 01-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Personally, based on limited exposure (in-shop displays + I own a K3), I prefer the non-touch. It's easier to read one-handed with the side page-turn buttons. The touch screen or the keyboard doesn't really add much to basic reading, so I don't really view them as worth the added price.

If you have a particular interface preference or price point, go with that.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Thalia Helikon
Enthusiast
Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle n-T, Nook Color Tablet, Nexus 6
I just returned my Kindle touch

Literally JUST returned from dropping it off at the UPS Store. I used the $$ from my Amazon credit card points to buy the "sponsored" Touch, but I chose to return it after a week.

The reason I chose Touch in the first place was because of superior software and operating system-- the non-touch is pretty much a brick except for the e-reader function. Supposedly the Touch has better games, the option for "Text to Speech," Audible Audio books, music.

However, I did not like the touch screen. My fingers must be non-conductive, because I have to rap and tap on the screen like I was knocking on a door!! It seriously interfered with my reading enjoyment, to pause and repeatedly tap the screen. In addition, I noticed that the screen flashed black and then refreshed as text. [In the settings, I selected "do not refresh e-ink screen on each page change."]

I was not delighted with the flat file structure. I told my mom it was like throwing all my books into a pond. I couldn't discern series order. I guess you have to make collections on the Kindle, you can't build a file structure while connected over USB. And then you are limited by sort order.

If I choose another Kindle e-reader, it will be the non-touch, non-sponsored. I do not want touch screen. I want a toggle switch, or a rocker switch, to turn pages. I have plenty of smart devices; I just need an ereader with nice display and long battery life. I wish there was a device that operated on Calibre, so I could keep 2,000 books in different genres, tagged, sorted by series order!! Is that too much to ask??
Thalia Helikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have the touch & have no trouble holding it one handed & tapping to turn the page. I seldom turn more than one page at a time. But I prefer touch screens. And as for buttons on my K3, I would accidentally turn pages fairly often. I don't know how the K4 is for that since I don't have one.

Thalia you should not have had to tap that hard to turn a page. Something may have been wrong with your KT.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I ordered the NT first and it was just too small for my hand, plus it was lacking in features and drive space. Plus entering in info for a search or on the calender program the lack of any keyboard, physical or touch was a killer. So I ordered the KT and found I liked it better, so I returned the NT.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia Helikon View Post
However, I did not like the touch screen. My fingers must be non-conductive, because I have to rap and tap on the screen like I was knocking on a door!!
Hmmm. Why do you believe that the conductivity (or otherwise) of your fingers would be of any relevance to an infra-red touch screen?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Thalia you should not have had to tap that hard to turn a page. Something may have been wrong with your KT.
You don't actually have to touch the screen at all. You just have to interrupt the grid of IR beams which are about 1mm above the screen's surface.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyXo View Post
if you've tried both, please tell me which one you like better
I'd get the Touch. The added features are worth much more than the extra $20 you'll pay:
  • audio player - audiobooks, music, text-to-speech
  • 2x battery life (2 months vs 1 month)
  • 2.4x additional storage (3 GB vs 1.25 GB)
  • X-Ray feature
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
mastermesh
mastermesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
the new asus 7 inch tablet will be the killer... due out 2nd quarter.
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
the new asus 7 inch tablet will be the killer... due out 2nd quarter.
I suspect that nobody will be killed by it. However, no backlit LCD tablet is a replacement for an eInk reader; it's a completely different market.