Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
More Borders stores to close

Just heard that another 75 stores ON TOP of the already 200 stores closing, will be shut down.

There are 2 in my area in the process of closing, the employees have no idea when the last day will be. There are now no Borders whiting an acceptable driving distance from me....there are 3 B&N....although the closest one is full of pompus elitist people...the others aren't too bad.

Right now they have 30% off everything at a minimum. The Kobos were going for $59.99 or something like that.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Just heard that another 75 stores ON TOP of the already 200 stores closing, will be shut down.

There are 2 in my area in the process of closing, the employees have no idea when the last day will be. There are now no Borders whiting an acceptable driving distance from me....there are 3 B&N....although the closest one is full of pompus elitist people...the others aren't too bad.

Right now they have 30% off everything at a minimum. The Kobos were going for $59.99 or something like that.
You can have some of mine. Of the 11 in my area, only 2 are closing.

The Kobo is worth $60; but not $100.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Anyone have a list of which ones?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I just got an email from my local borders, which is closing. 30-50 percent off storewide* Whoo. and yes, that is a sarcastic whoo.

*restrictions apply. Ask in store for details
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Sometimes I go to Borders to sit in the cafe part of the store drinking cheap, ordinary drip coffee and read public domain books on my Kindle. Does this make me responsible
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I just got an email from my local borders, which is closing. 30-50 percent off storewide* Whoo. and yes, that is a sarcastic whoo.

*restrictions apply. Ask in store for details
I got one of those today too from an area store that is closing, but the store was on the original list.

I'm hoping that the Borders closest to me survives the second round of cuts.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I don't think the Borders near me is going to survive. It's in a mall that has lots of traffic but the mall is across the street from a Barnes & Noble, which, to be honest, has a better selection and a lot more space than Borders. I still shop at the Borders. The last time I was there (last week) I brought a Product Red edition of Sons & Lovers and a some rather expensive latte drink. The book inventory seems really scarce though and it has been that way for quite some time. There is also an increasing amount of books and miscellaneous items on clearance. The e-reader display only has a Kobo and a non-working Sony 350. If it does close, I think I may see if I can get the Sony for cheap (assuming they have any).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Geez, where am I going to go in and take an emergency pee now?
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
Geez, where am I going to go in and take an emergency pee now?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Not good, but it makes no measurable difference to me as both the only one within 40 miles of us and the one near the GF's work are both closing. So now it's the BAM in town or the B&N 35-40 miles away.

Good times.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
A list would be nice!
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrocrazy View Post
Sometimes I go to Borders to sit in the cafe part of the store drinking cheap, ordinary drip coffee and read public domain books on my Kindle. Does this make me responsible
GET HIM!

There aren't a lot of bookstores in upper Montgomery County. If the local Borders closes, that'll mean a decent drive to mid-county's nearest B&N. OTOH, I rarely find myself going to any bookstore these days, so it wouldn't make much of an impact on me.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
So far my local Borders is staying open. I usually shop at the nearby BAM first and then Borders.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm hoping they shut down a few more around here that are closer to me so I can get a cheap Kobo. The two that are currently being shut down are too far to drive to for my liking.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
GET HIM!

There aren't a lot of bookstores in upper Montgomery County. If the local Borders closes, that'll mean a decent drive to mid-county's nearest B&N. OTOH, I rarely find myself going to any bookstore these days, so it wouldn't make much of an impact on me.
I'm pretty sure the one in Frederick is staying open, unless it's on this latest list.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote