Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Raketemensch
Raketemensch began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone w/ Stanza
Paragraphs from indentations?

I'm using .txt files of very hard to find or out of print books. Some can't be found even in hard copies, and none can be found as eBooks.

Most of them use 2 spaces to indent the first word of a new paragraph, without a blank line between them.

I can't seem to find a way to convert these indentations to paragraphs. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Rake
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Did you try
treat each line as a paragraph undr txt input?
Or if just one long line maybe find and replace two spaces with ^p in a word processor?
Preprocess input file under structure detection?
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
Most of them use 2 spaces to indent the first word of a new paragraph, without a blank line between them.
I think the option 'Assume print formatting' on the [Convert] - [TXT Input] page is provided for this type of TXT file.

... and welcome to the forum
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
I'm using .txt files of very hard to find or out of print books. Some can't be found even in hard copies, and none can be found as eBooks.

I can't seem to find a way to convert these indentations to paragraphs. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Rake
Although it doesn't involve Calibre, you should be able to convert the text file to HTML by taking the following steps (assuming there are no double spaces within the paragraphs):

- Insert the following at the beginning of the text file: <HTML><BODY><P>

- Insert the following at the end of the text file: </P></BODY></HTML>

- Search and replace each double space with the following: </P><P>

- Save the file as an HTML file, leaving the original text file untouched.

When you open the file in a web browser the paragraphs will be separated with a blank line between them and no indents. From there, you should be able to format it the way that you want.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Although it doesn't involve Calibre, you should be able to convert the text file to HTML by taking the following steps...
That's essentially what "Assume print formatting" does.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

In the txt input area under Conversion - Input Options you can hover over the options and it tells you what the option does. See the attached image for the example from hovering over Assume Print formatting. It says 2 Spaces is converted to a paragraph, this sounds like what you are describing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text_input.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	58260  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Raketemensch
Raketemensch began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone w/ Stanza
Oh man, thanks folks.

I missed the "Assume print formatting" thing and woke up this morning thinking of ways to replace 2 spaces with a <p> in vi. This is much easier.

I'm reading Pynchon and Faulkner, either of which can have a single sentence span 2-3 pages of a regular book. Getting to a paragraph break sometimes brings a great sense of accomplishment.
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote