Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Diso
Diso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Ebook Idea - An Amazing Coincidence!

For a long time, I have been only lurking on this forum without making any post. However, one thing happened today that thrilled me and made to share it with you folks.

Just yesterday I was thinking of new ideas for ebooks and imagined if there will be a huge, wall-size ereader, which can serve as a group readeing device and can be operated with a remote control. I thought it will be good to be placed in public waiting rooms or private homes, where content can be selected on consensus among readers.

To my utter amazement, as I searched the web for some ebook keywords, I came accross this blog post which is already one year old but strikingly similar to the idea I thought of yesterday! Isn't this wonderful?

WINNER: SuperFlyer 5000
Design: Hot Studio

And, we have a winner! Hot Studio and Friends, with their concept for shared living room reading, takes the grand prize. There was a serious case of kitchen-sinkism on this (massive entry), but perhaps this was understandable given the large team they convened for the effort. While life in the living room is increasingly fragmented across devices, and media content keeps upping the hyper in order to grab some fraction of our attention span, Hot has a big idea a la Slow Food: bringing reading back into the media room so people can spend time together...with books. This concept reconsiders the entire reading gesture, going from hand-held/one foot away, to hands-free/10 feet away. Research participants told us that they saw books as a respite from their over-connected, screen-based lifestyles; here's an application of those digital technologies that has the potential to engage people with reading in a new way.

The team also deserves special mention for the quality of their effort. They illustrate their solutions in a variety of ways, showing the power of quick-and-dirty paper and Photoshop prototyping. In bringing people together to create and inspire each other, they've generated a best-in-class artifact that reveals great process, uses scenarios based on research participants, and a demonstration of how humor can help sell an idea. Hot Studio modeled how it really should be done. Kudos!

http://www.core77.com/blog/featured_...ding_15084.asp
Diso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
My significant other and I read at considerably different speeds, and even the slower of us two reads at double the national average. I can't see this working.

Even less so in public. In any 10 people, how many are going to agree on a book? 10 people in a laundromat can't agree on a telenovela! And even if they do come to a consensus, who decides when to turn the page? Does someone never quite finish a page, or does someone have to wait forever?

There's a reason that books were never projected on walls in the past, and e-projecting e-books on e-walls doesn't change that.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I do something similar at home. My TV is patched into my computer. I read from my bed using a wireless mouse for a "remote."

Doing this where multiple people are reading could be problematic. The only thing that I could think of that could make it work would be to have something like a slide show. Mayhap a one screen short story or series of joke that would stay up long enough even slow readers could keep up, then move to another, unrelated screen.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-08-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
as worldwalker said, I read so much faster than the average reader it would be agony for me. I used to loathe the reading out loud periods in class where I would typically be about a chapter ahead of everyone else as I simply couldn't listen to the way they butchered the words.

I'll continue to pack my Kindle around
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jeannie--I can see your scheme for reading in my kitchen when doing food prep.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
as worldwalker said, I read so much faster than the average reader it would be agony for me. I used to loathe the reading out loud periods in class where I would typically be about a chapter ahead of everyone else as I simply couldn't listen to the way they butchered the words.

I'll continue to pack my Kindle around
That brought back some horrid, horrid memories. I was a nasty little bitch, I would jump in when other kids got stuck on a word (it is m-o-n-k-e-y, just like your momma) to move things along. Miss Elsa resented that so I had to spend considerable time in the hallway. Always brought two books with me, sort of a protest.
The only way that thing comes up on my wall is if the remote is surgically inserted into my hand.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I do something similar at home. My TV is patched into my computer. I read from my bed using a wireless mouse for a "remote."

Doing this where multiple people are reading could be problematic. The only thing that I could think of that could make it work would be to have something like a slide show. Mayhap a one screen short story or series of joke that would stay up long enough even slow readers could keep up, then move to another, unrelated screen.

I must be behind the times. This is one of the most brilliant ideas that I have heard in ages.

We also have a large TV in the bedroom that I watch sometimes, but the idea of being able to read from it is great.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
For me, this idea takes away virtually all the advantages of the printed word, and listening to an audiobook through communal speakers would be a much better option.

Seems like this design team were trying too hard to create a need, rather than creating a product that effectively fulfils needs that are already there.

Many of the other ideas aren't much better. An ebook so you can show off what you're reading to other people. Ugh! Thought we'd finally managed to escape such daft posturing. 'Mocks' - fake book spines you can display around your house to show off to visitors. You too can emulate the rich and stupid of the Victorian age: 'People need to display their identity through books'. In the words of Eliot, 'only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things.'
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Perhaps it would work if, instead of projecting the words of a story onto the wall, they recorded people acting out the story and speaking the dialogue? Then everyone would "read" it at the same speed.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Perhaps it would work if, instead of projecting the words of a story onto the wall, they recorded people acting out the story and speaking the dialogue? Then everyone would "read" it at the same speed.
Hey — what a good idea. We could call it an "Audio-book" or "a-book".

And since we're not using the screen for the book pages, perhaps we could get the people speaking the parts to dress up as the characters and record them on video, and display that on the screen at the same time as the sound plays. They could even do the appropriate actions, and we could add in backgrounds images in some way. We could call it an "Audio-Visual-book" or "av-book".

I think this could be big. I wonder if we could patent it....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Don't quit your day job, Paul. I'm sure you're making more money from your publishing business than anyone will ever make from this silly avi-book thing.....

pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
So, the fight for the remote control could continue. The television remote control, the electric bed remote control, the electric blanket remote control, the ebook reader remote control, the music player remote control, and so forth and so on.

"How was he killed, Doc?" "He was beaten with a bag full of remote controls."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
So, the fight for the remote control could continue. The television remote control, the electric bed remote control, the electric blanket remote control, the ebook reader remote control, the music player remote control, and so forth and so on.

"How was he killed, Doc?" "He was beaten with a bag full of remote controls."
Time for a universal remote. My music player and music is all on the computer. Eventually so will my DVDs and their player. All I'll need is something like the little wireless paddle Logitech has with a track ball and keypad to run all but my TV (and maybe even it).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And since we're not using the screen for the book pages, perhaps we could get the people speaking the parts to dress up as the characters and record them on video, and display that on the screen at the same time as the sound plays. They could even do the appropriate actions, and we could add in backgrounds images in some way. We could call it an "Audio-Visual-book" or "av-book".
I really like this--I think you're onto something here. And if you were out getting a life whilst the av-book was being displayed, or you did not have one in your house, we could instead write the words down on bits of paper, and stick them altogether between two bits of cardboard so they did not get lost. Then we could send people to school to learn how to read the bits of paper, and you need never miss an episode. I'm calling it "paper and words". Catchy, eh?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post

lol uh...isnt that called tv?
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote