Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
wawaweewa
wawaweewa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
KINDLE 3g browsing

I currently have a Sony 505 that I've had since '07. I'm set on getting either a Kindle Wi-FI or the Wifi+3g.

I'd get the 3g but I'[m not sure about one thing.

Does Amazon restrict browsing through 3G since it theoretically pays for the service or is browsing unrestricted? I figure most of the $60 diff in the 3g version as opposed to the wi-fi only is an upfront data fee but it seems very cheap if one is going to use the 3g extensively.
wawaweewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
The Kindle's browser, or at least the one on the DX and Kindle 2 right now aren't good enough so that anyone in their right minds would use it extensively. It's decent enough so that you can check your email occasionally, but yea it doesn't load fast enough so that you'd browse for hours on end.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It varies by country. Here in the US it's unrestricted and I believe there are others. The webkit browser in K3 might be better than the current but the screen is still a bit slow.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
wawaweewa
wawaweewa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Would the same hold true for text heavy blogs with minimal images/scripts?

I've read in another thread that it takes around a minute to load a wiki page which is pretty much just text. If so, I wouldn't mind.
wawaweewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
to my knowledge anybody talking about the browser's performance and speed is referring to the k1 or k2, and not the new webkit-based browser on the k3...so I personally think it's all up in the air at this point. It's bound to be better than the previous browser, from what I've been reading.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I think I'm in a very small minority, but when I briefly had a Sprint K2 (in areas with great reception), and used Basic Mode with images turned off and stuck to mobile versions of sites (like mobileread.mobi), I was very pleased with the experience. But I've used a 33MHz PDA coupled via infrared to a dialup modem in 2003, so it's likely I'm more easily pleased.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
It's decent enough so that you can check your email occasionally, but yea it doesn't load fast enough so that you'd browse for hours on end.
So does it work with gmail? And are you able to send a message or only view them?
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Yep Gmail works great actually. I've sent messages just fine.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Yep Gmail works great actually. I've sent messages just fine.
Awesome Looks like I'll be replacing my Sony 505
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote