Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #31
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Not sure if they updated their GPL notice or if its been there before, but iRex states that they will provide everything necessary to rebuilt the "full iLiad software":

iRex will comply 100% to the GPL by providing all source codes including the modifications made to open source applications. For software developed by external companies and iRex? code that uses IP we will provide the binaries so the full iLiad software can be rebuilt

Even if they don't release the flash tools - with the full software (sources) at hand I don't think it'll take long for someone to release his own flash program.
Well, the point of Dher is that the reflash process must be documented too. But it seems that the spirit is permeating in the iRex team. (It is expected to be present at the engineer level, of course, but it is good when/if it "upgrades" to the whole company. I guess it is inhibited because they were afraid of losingvaluable partners
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:46 AM   #32
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
I think this paragraph is new.

And it's great

I guess hacking season will be on again.

Edit: just reread it. You think by rebuilting they mean "rebuilting on your home pc" or "rebuilting and putting it back on your iliad"?

Last edited by DHer; 08-05-2006 at 03:52 AM.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #33
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I'd ask this way: What's the point of rebuilding the OS if they don't provide you with the tools and instruction how to put it back on your iLiad?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #34
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I'd ask this way: What's the point of rebuilding the OS if they don't provide you with the tools and instruction how to put it back on your iLiad?
Yep, the spirit of the GPL is about Stallman's "four freedoms", and it implies to be able to incorporate any modification. It is a pity that RMS is not a hardware guy, and thus things become fuzzy when our kind of gadgetry becomes involved in the game.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #35
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Now that we have the compiler toolchain and the .sh capability, does anyone feel like porting a mp3-player? It may not be that difficult, but I don't know (I am a programmer, but neither C nor Linux nor close-to-the-metal, so I have noe clue about this)
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2006, 04:52 AM   #36
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
..getting back to the question of the thread - this link to a working mp3 player may help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...13&postcount=2
you'll need the shell script installed etc
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote