Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
adio
adio began at the beginning.

Device: nook / alex
Reasonable to wait for Alex instead of Nook

Hi,
Im really waiting for the release of the Nook, even if I have to ship it wit USunlocked or a similar service.
But actually I m thinking about to wait for the Alex cause I ve read about its new processor. Is it really faster than the Nook? I dont really care about the wlan or wifi connection, cause I just want to read on it. But i dont wanna such a slow reader like the Sony. And because I have a lot of PDF with some pictures i want a fast load of Pages.
So is it reasonable to wait for the Alex or maybe another Reader? What do u think? just a fast 6" Reader... please some advices I ve read about so many different Reader and a little confused...
Thx a lot
adio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
The Alex appears to still be in the prototype stage, so I don't know if they have a real release date for it, so you might be waiting for a while. My understanding of Spring Design's intention with the Alex is to find a brand to slap their name on it. Since B&N wound up not being that brand, they might be floating in limbo, trying to get investors for a while.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
adio

Oh thx for ur answer!
Is there any Reader which have the speed of nook or alex in reading pdf s with pictures?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Honestly, I don't know how fast the nook is, since it's not available to use yet. I would imagine that probably the fastest reader out there is the latest version of the iRex Iliad. It's a very nice machine and built for optimum PDF display.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
adio

ahhh iLiad... good but i think to expensive for my daily reading..
i think i ll wait until some people reviewed the nook but what is the best alternative in that price range?
Im really sorry cause theese questions r kind of noob questions asking about personal favourites...
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not been impressed by the Alex's lack of integration between the EInk and LCD parts of the system in the demos I have seen. However, the enTourage eDGe seems more integrated with a similar design (too heavy to be a real competitor to pure reading devices, but an interesting design) - or perhaps it just seems better from its description.

The iRex DR800SG may be the "faster" device you want (iRex claims faster page refreshes at least), but it is more expensive than the Nook and (like the Nook) is still untested. Another potentially faster device is the txtr reader, also not out yet. Txtr claims to have an optimized driver for the Epson Broadsheet display controller.

If you wait for reviews it will be after Christmas before you get delivery, and at that point waiting for the many announcements at CES in January might be worthwhile.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
And if you're in January waiting for announcements from CES, you'll want to keep an eye out for Plastic Logic's "Que." It's the size of a 8.5/11" piece of paper and has a full capacitive touch screen, making it really good for PDF and technical book reading, if it delivers on its promises.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote