Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #1501
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
And the really interesting part:
I've you dive in deeper, there's not much to experience or discover on iPad.
You can't do much tuning or tweaking. Actually, all you can do depends on the respective app you're using in that moment.
I had forgotten about it. But I was quite baffled to recognize, that I can't even change fonts or insert my signature in emails on iPad.
Sure you can. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Signature.

I don't know much about rich text - I'm old skool when it comes to email (plain text only, ever, is the most professional and interoperable approach) - but here's one simple kludge to get HTML into your signature if it doesn't work directly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #1502
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Sure you can. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Signature.

I don't know much about rich text - I'm old skool when it comes to email (plain text only, ever, is the most professional and interoperable approach) - but here's one simple kludge to get HTML into your signature if it doesn't work directly.
I've tried that of course.
But it kills the structure of the signature we generate from our system.
The logo gets misplaced and split and stuff like that.
If you have to care about CI, a company logo and stuff, you're lost.
I've found a 3rd party app, which is working fine.
You upload your signature(s) to their server and then it gets copied correctly.
But for now, this 3rd party app is from a startup company. You either pay an enormous fee ($ 100 doesn't sound much, but for such a simple task I'm not willing to pay that amount) or you manually have to delete their addition to the signature.
Can be done, but it's annoying.
And it still doesn't solve my problem about the fonts.
I've tried a few 3rd party apps, but none solved the issue: How to use your own (not even a special corporate one, just another standard one) font in emails?

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-09-2014 at 01:11 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #1503
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dell Venue 8 Pro

I'm still positively surprised.
I thought, for such a low price (€ 350), only Amazon or Google would be able to deliver, since they've got additional sources of income (content).
But surprisingly enough, Dell can deliver as well!
The build quality easily can match the one of Google Nexus 7 or Kinde Fire HD.

I love the form factor.
It reminds of Google Nexus 7. Dell Venue 8 Pro is about 1cm wider and longer, but obviously has a very similar height/width ratio.
I prefer this over the more square one of iPad, but that's just a matter of personal taste of course.

The rubberized back is very convenient to hold.
It's surprisingly heavy, which adds to the impression of solid quality.

The display is no Retina/Full HD quality, but more than adequate.

In the desktop, fonts and menus are at the limit. A bit smaller and I would run into slight problems. But it's still legible and I rarely miss an icon or menu.

I've ordered the pen.
Dell didn't sell it for the last 6 or 8 weeks, due to negative response in the market.
I found out, that the pen for Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro is the same and was able to order the pen for the Venue 11 Pro from the European website.
2 days later, the pen for Venue 8 Pro could be ordered from all websites.
I guess, it's 2nd generation then and I hope, they've figured it out this time.
I can live without the pen, but want to give it a try.

If I consider, that iPad mini Retina 64GB is € 689 vs. the € 349 of Dell Venue 8 Pro, Dell clearly has a spectacular price/quality ratio.

And I really like Windows 8 Pro.
More and more each day.
I hadn't used any iPad for about 3 months.
I totally had forgotten, how limited it is re. configuration and tuning.
I need an email signature conforming to CI and such.
I couldn't figure out, how to solve such things on iPad.
My original idea had been, traveling with iPad mini Retina and the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard. I guess, instead (or at least additionally) I have to take Dell Venue 8 Pro and its bluetooth keyboard with me.
I should get this keyboard tomorrow. On the pictures it seems, it fits exactly the size of the tablet, so you can use it as kind of a front cover.
But I could use the Logitech iPad keyboard as well of course - standard bluetooth.

The first real test will be on Thursday and Friday for a brief trip...
Normally, I would take MacBook Air and Surface Pro with me.
It had been solely MacBook Air before, but Surface Pro takes over more and more tasks.
But sometimes, for trips of only 1 or 2 days, I'd like to try to travel lighter. Not my normal portfolio, but only my Livescribe (bluetooth pen to write on special paper and sync on the fly via bluetooth with iPad) pen and a tablet small enough to fit into the notepad portfolio or the coat pocket...

EDIT:
Delivery of the pen is scheduled for tomorrow already!
I'm really curious, whether it will be usable or simply not precise enough...

EDIT:
Just received the bluetooth keyboard and the folio.
I didn't want to have the folio, but you can't get the keyboard on its own.
First of all: The website states "exchangeable accumulator". But it's batteries! I hate this. I thought I could charge via USB of course. Why can't they be more accurate in their descriptions?
No showstopper, the batteries are supposed to make an entire year. Still...
The folio/keyboard combo is a strange design.
You put the tablet into the folio. You can fold back the front and flip it into a stand, as we know it all too well. But the front doesn't have magnets. So I wouldn't rely on it remaining closed. The keyboard has exactly the size of the folio and is placed under the folio (not inside!) and attaches with magnets. So the keyboard is entirely outside of the folio and not protected at all. Very strange! It looks nice enough. I put such combos in a sleeve anyway. But most of my friends only use a folio and in this case one could be sure, that the keyboard gets loose and the folio doesn't remain closed...
Anyway...
The keyboard is nice enough, keys are big enough.
There's no touchpad, but I knew this before.
For Windows 8, a keyboard is a highly welcome accessory. But this one, with its strange design, can't convince me entirely.
The combo iPad mini + Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for example looks way more stylish and professional.
But I'll give the Dell combo a try when on the train Friday/Saturday.

EDIT:
I've just got the pen.
Build quality is okay, the upper part even is metal.
What I didn't expect (as usual, I didn't do any research before ordering): The tip is absolutely hard. Feels and sounds like metal. I may have to think about a screen protector - should I decide to actually use the pen.
I'll check accuracy in the WACOM Bamboo app. That's the one I've used to check calibration of my Surface Pro stylus as well. On Surface Pro, with the 130+ points calibration of the XDA forum, Surface Pro is quite accurate. Only in the upper left corner, it's totally off (1cm from the bezels, up to 5mm, jumping around).

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #1504
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I need an email signature conforming to CI and such.
What is CI?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #1505
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What is CI?
Corporate Identity.
In official documents -and emails usually are considered amongst those- to external sources one has to stick to certain guidelines:
- Specific fonts. Typically it's a standard font, so you can use it in all programs, not an exotic corporate font. That's the font itself, but often enough font color and size as well.
- Often enough a corporate logo.
- More and more often links (your owns or the ones from the company) to the social networks. LinkedIn in the US, Xing in Germany for example.

Some companies accept just a standard text signature in emails.

Some employees simply add "sent by mobile device" to their none-conform signature.

I hate the latter.
In one of my assignments as a consultant, I audit about standardizations and such. Then not using the standards myself doesn't seem like a good sales attitude...

Normally, the signature gets generated automatically, for example via a corporate guideline tool.
Then you just copy it into the signature field in your email client.
Theoretically...
But actually, if I do so on any of my Macs, the signature gets crippled (not on the sender's end, but on the receiver's) most of the time. Might not be even Apple's "fault". Maybe it's incompatibility with the Outlook servers most corporate networks are using? Maybe Microsoft on those Exchange servers prefers Microsoft clients...
But at least I can use the signature on my Macs and check the result.

On iPad, I don't get that far.
If I try to copy the signature into the respective field, only the pure text remains.
Logos and such are stripped away.
I could live with that.
But the font gets ignored as well, so does the layout structure.

And then the signature simply doesn't look professional anymore...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-10-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #1506
mgmueller
Member Retired

3D Mark Results

I'm rather skeptical about this test.
But it's the only one I've found for more or less all platforms.
And it seems to be widely spread.

I'll add my results from time to time.
Configuration does have its impact.
But there's a database included in the program for comparison, so one can check the variations of the respective configuration/system with their results.

Apple iPad mini Retina 128GB, WiFi+3G:
Score 14.525
Graphics Score 18.927
Physics Score 8.008
(That's about the same class as Microsoft Surface 2 [the RT one]).

Dell Venue 8 Pro 64GB, WiFi+3G (Windows 8.1 32bit):
Score 14.091
Graphics Score 14.495
Physics Score 12.840
(That's strangely close to the results of iPad mini, hard to believe. Trustworthy?).

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 256GB, 8GB RAM [about 10% more performance than my 4GB RAM/128GB one],WiFi-only (Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit):
Score 44.039
Graphics Score 50.355
Physics Score 30.583
(Those results I can believe. Surface Pro 2 is a "working horse", although I don't quite get the high ranking in Graphics. But I have no idea, what this benchmark is doing anyway..).

I've done this test on most of my units before.
From my personal ranking and gut feeling, only 2 units seem out of line:
iPad mini Retina: The ratings are surprisingly low. I guess, the test simply is operating in segments out of Apple's focus.
NVIDIA Shield: Considering all the Hoopla around Tegra 4, I'd expect significantly higher ratings. In this benchmark, it's only 10% above the bargain unit Dell Venue 8 Pro. On the other hand, Tegra 4 or not, NVIDIA Shield is a bargain unit as well...

NVIDIA Shield (Controller enabled Gaming console) Android 4.3 16GB , WiFi-only
Score 16.271
Graphics Score 17.253
Physics Score 13.567
(That's about the same as iPad mini).

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-10-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #1507
mgmueller
Member Retired

Pen on Dell Venue 8 Pro

Interesting!
It's absolutely accurate.
Even in the corners!
On Surface Pro (a common WACOM problem, from what I've read), the upper left corner is off. Within the upmost 1cm from the bezels, the dot wildly jumps around, up to 5mm off.
On Dell Venue 8 Pro, that's not an issue.
Obviously, the last 1mm from the bezel is a bit tough. But in general, the ink appears exactly where I want it to be.
But: The pen needs a lot of pressure. I can't just "fly over the paper". I really have to push.
For one, I'll only do so with a screen protector. Else I'd be worried about (micro) scratches.
And, last but not least, I can push for a quick drawing in the Bamboo app, when checking whether my line is accurate to the grid.
But I can't imagine, writing lots of text this way.
Anyway: Either they've improved the pen significantly (Gen 2?) or I have been lucky.
Again: For a € 350 unit, Dell Venue 8 Pro is quite impressive.

EDIT:
It's really fascinating, how accurate the pen is!
On the WACOM tablets Surface Pro or Dell Latitude 10, you don't have to press the stylus.
Just slightly brush over the display.
Here, on Dell Venue 8 Pro, I have to push down. Not much, but a bit more than you naturally do when writing on paper. Still: I like it.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-11-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #1508
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm using my MacBook Pro and I got a pop up that says Security Update - critical security fixes for 10.9.2 and "Install this update as soon as possible". Kind of freaked me out. What's this about??
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #1509
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I'm using my MacBook Pro and I got a pop up that says Security Update - critical security fixes for 10.9.2 and "Install this update as soon as possible". Kind of freaked me out. What's this about??
This fixes a long existing bug in the SSL encryption stuff in your Mac. If you don't update you run the risk of someone being able to hyjack your web traffic even if you are attaching using https.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1725

You should upgrade.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #1510
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This fixes a long existing bug in the SSL encryption stuff in your Mac. If you don't update you run the risk of someone being able to hyjack your web traffic even if you are attaching using https.

You should upgrade.
Oh my gosh. I clicked on ignore and thought I'd update later but I'm updating this instant. Thank you for the fast reply!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #1511
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

You should upgrade.
As with any popup, however, go to the source to upgrade, don't just click on any old popup and give it your admin password. Most actual security issues are caused by social engineering (convincing you to give malware privileges), not by system vulnerabilities.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #1512
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As with any popup, however, go to the source to upgrade, don't just click on any old popup and give it your admin password. Most actual security issues are caused by social engineering (convincing you to give malware privileges), not by system vulnerabilities.
Not very common on a Mac. I assume the System Update came up... Mac users are used to it and what it looks like.

That all said, this was a "long existing" problem, so while it is a critical issue its probably a low priority one. It also existed in iOS, so make sure you update those too. That one is probably a bigger deal, since mobile devices are more likely to be on untrusted WiFi networks.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #1513
mgmueller
Member Retired

ASUS Transformer AiO P1801

http://www.asus.com/AllinOne_PCs/ASU...mer_AiO_P1801/

Just saw it in German Media Markt.
Of course it's gargantuan for a tablet.
But it switches from Windows 8 to Android within about 2 seconds.
I thought all manufacturers had abandoned the idea of multi-OS, reportedly due to pressure from both Google and Microsoft?
Anyway...
I only saw 2 issues with this unit:
a.) It's from ASUS. Not a big fan, almost as bad as Samsung. They both build great gadgets for reasonable prices. But their design and haptic...
b.) What to do with such a huge unit? I certainly wouldn't use it as a tablet. Some reviews in Amazon state, you can't hook it up to your home theater. So basically it's kind of a desktop replacement, nothing more...

Still:
I love my Windows 8 tablets.
But I miss a few apps, which I could have on Android.
Switching back and forth within less than 3 seconds...

EDIT:
Just read a few articles:
Apparently, there are 2 processors.
1 in the tablet for Android.
1 in the dock for Windows = you can use Windows only in desktop mode, not in tablet mode.
Way less appealing then for me...
Still: Interesting to watch, what will be next...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-23-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #1514
Gazella
Wizard

I think they (Asus) did a good job with the Nexus 7.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #1515
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I think they (Asus) did a good job with the Nexus 7.
Their price-benefit ratio certainly is phantastic.
I've had the Asus VivoTab Smart. A € 450 bargain Windows 8 tablet. Compared to my Dell Latitude 10, which costs about twice the amount, their quality was impressive. Almost on par with the Dell...
Still: Most of the their units are bargain units.
Personally, I'd rather spend another € 200 and have a high-end product instead of buying a bargain unit and being annoyed for the next 2 years about some quality issues.
But you're definitely right: Nexus 7 (2013) is the best value you can get in that price range.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test