Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #31
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i agree, it seems people are more excited about the larger more cumbersome 7.8 inch possible release.

best wishes koboy
It depends on the design of the larger model,the onyx 8" ereader is too heavy for me to consider it a replacement for day to day reading,something in the region of 200g however would be ideal.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #32
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For myself, I'm completely happy with the Kobo Glo HD and I much prefer a 6" size for portability and comfort. Since they gave these the name "Aura", I'm assuming that means they'll have a flush screen and be capacitive touch, both of which I really dislike. Really really dislike. There's no way I would use a capacitive touch reader. So that means I have zero interest in any of their new readers, 6" or 7.8" or larger.
I *love* flush screens, and I *love* larger sizes. Bigger weights don't bother me that much either as Im normally resting whatever device on my belly in bed.

Surprised they are updating their 6'' as the Glo seems perfectly serviceable but either way am really excited to see what they come up with.

I do think the ebook industry is losing traction but it's kind of like vinyl LP's - its always going to be there so there's always going to be a market for them. I even have faith that an innovative device with an eye catching design and some nice specs has the chance to revitalise the ebook industry totally. All we need is to have some kind of Harry Potter book come out again and we'll have the perfect storm. I reckon Kobo can do it!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #33
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90 View Post
It depends on the design of the larger model,the onyx 8" ereader is too heavy for me to consider it a replacement for day to day reading,something in the region of 200g however would be ideal.

i hope it suits your requirements.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:56 AM   #34
bizcoeindoloro
bizcoeindoloro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (main), PW2
Now as to the potential release date for these new Kobo ereaders, I have just noticed this document in the FCC filing: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3038286

It's a Confidentiality Request that asks for sensitive information regarding the device (e.g., photos) to be concealed from public access until October 20, 2016. (It's the same date on both devices.)

In all my ignorance regarding this FCC documentation, I assume that if these devices will actually be produced and marketed by Kobo, then, they will probably announce them on or before October 20, 2016, since after that date all the currently hidden information about them should become available for public view. Again, I have no idea how this stuff works, so I'm just offering this as a conjecture, since I haven't seen anyone else discuss it.
bizcoeindoloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just read an article on The Verge talking about the new ereaders. They seemed shock Kobo was still around and making ereaders. I wonder on what planet they have been on?

I could see a need for a 7.8 size screen. Some books like nonfiction would just look better on a larger screen. I'm interested.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #36
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I just read an article on The Verge talking about the new ereaders. They seemed shock Kobo was still around and making ereaders. I wonder on what planet they have been on?
I saw that too - and they call themselves tech writers? Sheer ignorance. Their Oasis "review" is also a mess: hey, look, it's tiny! And light! And it comes with a cover! But absolutely nothing about the lighting, or display, or firmware, or anything related to actual use of the device. They also have basic facts wrong, like saying the H2O has a Pearl screen. Populist tech reporting lite.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post

Surprised they are updating their 6'' as the Glo seems perfectly serviceable but either way am really excited to see what they come up with.
I know, right? How can they improve it? Make it waterproof? That would be a selling point for me. White shell? I'll buy one. Bigger internal memory? Yes! Add a card slot? I don't care, but some people would. Wireless charging? I'd like that. Sound for TTS? No interest for me. I don't know what else could be added to the current Glo HD.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I know, right? How can they improve it? Make it waterproof? That would be a selling point for me. White shell? I'll buy one. Bigger internal memory? Yes! Add a card slot? I don't care, but some people would. Wireless charging? I'd like that. Sound for TTS? No interest for me. I don't know what else could be added to the current Glo HD.
I'm betting It's the form factor. It's probably going to have a ergonomic bezel and be lighter in weight. Kobo probably wants to compete with the Amazon. It may even have page buttons.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I saw that too - and they call themselves tech writers? Sheer ignorance. Their Oasis "review" is also a mess: hey, look, it's tiny! And light! And it comes with a cover! But absolutely nothing about the lighting, or display, or firmware, or anything related to actual use of the device. They also have basic facts wrong, like saying the H2O has a Pearl screen. Populist tech reporting lite.
It was a very bad article. The author obviously does not know anything about ebooks or ereaders. It's no longer Kindle vs Nook market It's Kindle vs Kobo now. I think Kobo readers have some great features that give them the edge needed. It will be exciting to hear more about the new devices as details are made available.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I'm betting It's the form factor. It's probably going to have a ergonomic bezel and be lighter in weight. Kobo probably wants to compete with the Amazon. It may even have page buttons.

I would like that, as long as it's not all lopsided, like the Oasis.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #41
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcoeindoloro View Post
Now as to the potential release date for these new Kobo ereaders, I have just noticed this document in the FCC filing: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3038286

It's a Confidentiality Request that asks for sensitive information regarding the device (e.g., photos) to be concealed from public access until October 20, 2016. (It's the same date on both devices.)

In all my ignorance regarding this FCC documentation, I assume that if these devices will actually be produced and marketed by Kobo, then, they will probably announce them on or before October 20, 2016, since after that date all the currently hidden information about them should become available for public view. Again, I have no idea how this stuff works, so I'm just offering this as a conjecture, since I haven't seen anyone else discuss it.
The confidentiality request for the H2O (FCC ID: NOIKBN250) stated 4 November 2014, and the device was apparently released on 1 October 2014. I don't know if all devices are released a month early, but some searches of fccid.io might come up with more data points.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #42
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
It was a very bad article. The author obviously does not know anything about ebooks or ereaders. It's no longer Kindle vs Nook market It's Kindle vs Kobo now. I think Kobo readers have some great features that give them the edge needed. It will be exciting to hear more about the new devices as details are made available.

Aside from features, Kobo has something else going for them that BN never had. A corporation willing to spend the money needed to make a good product, and a marketing team that didn't get their degrees from a cereal box.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #43
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Still no sign of a lighted Mini then?

*sigh*
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #44
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm on board for the larger display. A flush screen and brighter (than H20) display would be ideal for me. The brightness of the Kindle Voyage and Oasis has me spoiled. Even my Paperwhite 3 is brighter than the H20. I'm one of those who reads with the light maxed unless I'm in a dark room, then I bring it down a few notches (to the 75% level). But with the H20 I have to keep the brightness at maximum.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #45
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm on board for the larger display. A flush screen and brighter (than H20) display would be ideal for me. The brightness of the Kindle Voyage and Oasis has me spoiled. Even my Paperwhite 3 is brighter than the H20. I'm one of those who reads with the light maxed unless I'm in a dark room, then I bring it down a few notches (to the 75% level). But with the H20 I have to keep the brightness at maximum.

good luck with the flush screen, i hope it has but somehow i doubt it.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote