Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #91
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
I'm going to buy a Kobo e-reader. Also getting a screen protector - crystal clear or anti glare - which is better?
The Aura HD has a non-reflective matte screen, which I think is perfect. I personally would never add another layer onto a matte screen, unless you seriously think you'll be doing something to scratch it. I've never had that problem.

I'm not sure about the new 6" Aura. Some of the pictures I see suggest a more reflective screen, but it's hard to tell.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #92
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
They are marketing the new 6" Aura as "Low glare". I think this is a step backwards for
an e-ink reader.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #93
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
"new readers" vs. "old readers" = "low glare" vs. "no glare"
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #94
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
The Aura HD has a non-reflective matte screen, which I think is perfect. I personally would never add another layer onto a matte screen, unless you seriously think you'll be doing something to scratch it. I've never had that problem.
Yes! After three months of everyday use the screen looks as new
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #95
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
The Aura HD has a non-reflective matte screen, which I think is perfect.
Not perfect - actually I think the Aura HD screen is slightly less matte than the screen on my Touch, and it reflects a bit more light. I have to play around with angling the Aura to avoid reflections a bit more. It's made worse by the more reflective bezel and the buildup of fingerprints on it, but usually an angle that avoids screen reflections will also work for bezel reflections.

Let's hope the new Aura is better that way.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #96
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
They are marketing the new 6" Aura as "Low glare". I think this is a step backwards for
an e-ink reader.
"Low glare" sounds to me like it has glare/gloss/reflections. I want an ereader to be "no glare". I thought many of the pictures of the device where in low light, which made me suspicious they were concealing reflections.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #97
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Not perfect - actually I think the Aura HD screen is slightly less matte than the screen on my Touch, and it reflects a bit more light. I have to play around with angling the Aura to avoid reflections a bit more. It's made worse by the more reflective bezel and the buildup of fingerprints on it, but usually an angle that avoids screen reflections will also work for bezel reflections..
Maybe not quite as matte, but no doubt to me it is in the matte category. Using tablets as a counter example, you can clearly see your face reflected in any tablet. Amazon's Kindle tablets advertise "anti-glare". I have one, and I'd say it might reduce reflections slightly, but it's still highly reflective. Any matte screen is much better in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #98
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
"new readers" vs. "old readers" = "low glare" vs. "no glare"
Yes, I noticed this marketing as well, and it is making me wonder about the new screen. Thankfully, I have the Aura HD and therefore have no need to upgrade.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #99
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
My Aura HD coming soon. Can't wait.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #100
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I wonder what will happen regards the Glo and Touch now that there is a 6 inch Aura?

I hope they continue making a Glo with its current infra-red touch screen, matte plastic bezel and no cover glass, but upgrade the screen to the new 100-page-turns-without-refresh one.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From what has been said, they seem to be keeping all of the devices. They are all still on the web site and were mentioned in the various releases. I don't think the Mini is at risk, but I keep expecting the Touch to be discontinued. It must be still selling well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #102
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From what has been said, they seem to be keeping all of the devices. They are all still on the web site and were mentioned in the various releases. I don't think the Mini is at risk, but I keep expecting the Touch to be discontinued. It must be still selling well.
The Touch is a nice device, especially for those who don't want to pay for a front light. I'm hoping that they'll keep it because of that. (I would love to see an Aura HD for $30 less, sans light.)

Still, I've gotta wonder if Kobo's product line is becoming too broad, since I don't get the point of the new Aura. My main thought is that the Aura HD and Aura are mostly intended to test new ideas in the market (larger size for the former, capacitive touch screens for the latter). If that is the case, maybe they're on the right track since ereaders seem pretty stagnant right now.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #103
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The Touch is a nice device, especially for those who don't want to pay for a front light. I'm hoping that they'll keep it because of that. (I would love to see an Aura HD for $30 less, sans light.)
Yes, the Touch is still a good device. But, when I pick mine up and compare it with the Glo, I don't like it.
Quote:
Still, I've gotta wonder if Kobo's product line is becoming too broad, since I don't get the point of the new Aura. My main thought is that the Aura HD and Aura are mostly intended to test new ideas in the market (larger size for the former, capacitive touch screens for the latter). If that is the case, maybe they're on the right track since ereaders seem pretty stagnant right now.
I definitely agree with you on the Aura HD. It seemed to be an experiment that worked to well. I think they might have been a little surprised by the response.

As to the Aura, I was expecting a Glo Mk2. And hence replace the current Glo. But, they have put enough into it to differentiate them. I suppose this might be an experiment to see if capacitive touch is the way to go.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #104
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Somebody needs to tell W H Smith that the Aura and the Aura HD are different devices: http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/ko...oduct/36495993

The people who work in their online store must be as thick as the YTS brain donors who work in their high street shops
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #105
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Just purchased the Aura HD from Kobo website but didn't receive any notification through email. Is that normal?
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote