Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
BAD18
Enthusiast
BAD18 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color & Touch; Samsung Galaxy Tab
Can you delete Orginal epub from library?

When I add a new epub book to my Calibre Library I often download a book cover and then convert the ebook from "epub" to "epub" so that the cover will show when I add it to my Nook. I learned to do this on this forum.

After this file conversion my Calibre Library shows two copies of the ebook. One is called "Origianl epub" and one is called "epub". I don't really want to keep both files. Is it okay to delete the original epub file???

I have a lot of books so I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks,
Barbara
BAD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD18 View Post
When I add a new epub book to my Calibre Library I often download a book cover and then convert the ebook from "epub" to "epub" so that the cover will show when I add it to my Nook. I learned to do this on this forum.

After this file conversion my Calibre Library shows two copies of the ebook. One is called "Origianl epub" and one is called "epub". I don't really want to keep both files. Is it okay to delete the original epub file???

I have a lot of books so I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks,
Barbara
What is 'a lot' of books? 10,000? 5,000? 100?

You can have Calibre delete those if you wish

In the Tag browser: Formats: select original_EPUB
In the book list: Select All (Ctrl-A): Right click: Remove files of a specific Format from selected books: (be careful): Original_epub
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@BAD18 - the Modify Plugin can update the cover, without creating an original-ePub in your library.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@BAD18, as BetterRed mentioned it is not a perfect way to update a missing cover with an epub to epub conversion. This will change the epub structure. If you have the original files, delete the converted files and update via "Modify Epub" Plugin. This is a much better solution.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
BAD18
Enthusiast
BAD18 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color & Touch; Samsung Galaxy Tab
I have about 700 books in my library. Thanks for the Modify Plugin tip. I installed it and have experimented. When I put a book that I'd used the plugin on, the cover appeared in my Nook. So it solved my problem on no covers showing in my Nook.

And thanks for the shortcut to deleting items from the library. I've copied my library and I will work on the copy to clean up the double epub book issue. I keep my library in Dropbox, so I don't want it to get too large.

Appreciate all the help.
Barbara
BAD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert