Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
De-Authorizing prs

What happens to the books on my reader if I de-authorize the reader on line at the Sony bookstore? Are the books I bought from Sony still readable on the reader?

Mitch
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You have to plug in the Reader to deauthorize it, so any DRMed ebooks on it at the time will no longer be readable.

But if you have the ebooks on an SD card, and insert the card after deauthorizing the Reader, I o not know if hey will still work. I never tried it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think what happens is that when you deauthorize the reader, something inside the reader is changed so it won't work with DRm eBooks. And when you authroize it then it allows those same eBooks to be read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think what happens is that when you deauthorize the reader, something inside the reader is changed so it won't work with DRm eBooks. And when you authroize it then it allows those same eBooks to be read.
I don't have any insider knowledge on the way this works, but assuming it uses encryption keys, a fairly logical way would be to encode the decryption key as a file based on the device's electronic serial number. This would prevent the key being readable, prevent copying of the key to another device (since the electronic serial number would be different) and would not be affected by the location (card or internal memory) of the book file.

Just an educated guess based on how similar schemes work however.

Regards,
Marcus
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
chunga
chunga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What is "deauthorizing"?

Hi, I'm new at this ebook usage and I do not know what "deauthorize" means. Could someone explain it? I just bought a PRS-505 and I need to know if there is something special that needs to be done. Thanks!
chunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
You authorize your reader to your PC's copy of Adobe Digital Editions in order to read secured Adobe books - deauthorizing is just reversing that because you're about to replace the PC with a different one, for instance. Not something you'd often need to do.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
chunga
chunga began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks so much!
chunga is offline   Reply With Quote