Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
PookaLady
Enthusiast
PookaLady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo , Kindle 3,Kindle Fire
Font issues with new Kobo wifi .

I hope someone can help me.I have read many of the previous threads.I did see that there were font issues with the first original Kobo.I just bought the new wireless Kobo and my epub ebooks I downloaded are not changing font size!Is this going on with the wifi Kobos too?Can anyone help?
PookaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I think there are ways of forcing a single type size in epub books, but I think most would consider them to be 'poor practice' - to be shunned by experienced ebook creators. Is this happening with all your USB-loaded epub books, or just some of them? Can you give a title that we can get ourselves for free (or cheap)? I just checked two epub files on my original Kobo upgraded to 1.8 (should be equivalent to wifi Kobo) and they change size just fine.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
PookaLady
Enthusiast

pholy,I downloaded two free books (epub) from Bewrite Books.Time Travail and Silenced Cry.They were my two free books I chose that was offered free this week.Neither one would change font size.I am new to an ereader.I do not know if something is wrong with my Kobo or what is causing the issue.It makes me hesitant to order anything if I can not choose the font I prefer.Thanks for the help.I also had 'borrowed" two library books from public library both epub and they would not change font eitherThe only other place I got any ebooks was from the Kobo Ebook Store.The Kobo books were the only ones that would change font..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Are you using the up and down on the D-pad to change the font size? If so, go into the menu options under display and try it that way. Not sure if you're trying to go up or down (or if you've tried both) but I've found that there is a considerable difference in the minimum size that you can get between different e-pubs, so if you are just trying to get smaller, it might be as small as you can get. Either way, try it under the menu option and it will show you what size it thinks it is showing anyway. Wifi shouldn't be having issues with going bigger and smaller.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Are you using Calibre? Try this free program. Convert your book, in this case, epub to epub. Then try changing the fonts with your Kobo. It just might work.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
PookaLady
Enthusiast

Thanks evveryone for your ideas and help.I do appreciate it.Well,[I] don't know what I am doing differently but it is working now.Sh-h-h-.It will go very very small but there are some ebooks that the largest really is the size of the small(shown in menu).I prefer either small or medium so that will work for me.

So then the print size the Kobo show in the menu area smallest,small,etc. is not really the size of the print.It depends on the ebook.Is that correct?I can read on the small but my roommate cannot,at least not on some of the ebooks even set on largest print really looks like the small print size.Hmmm,very misleading.I would have thought thatr the print size would be the same sizwe as the 'word" in the menu section.
Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaLady View Post
Thanks evveryone for your ideas and help.I do appreciate it.Well,[I] don't know what I am doing differently but it is working now.Sh-h-h-.It will go very very small but there are some ebooks that the largest really is the size of the small(shown in menu).I prefer either small or medium so that will work for me.

So then the print size the Kobo show in the menu area smallest,small,etc. is not really the size of the print.It depends on the ebook.Is that correct?I can read on the small but my roommate cannot,at least not on some of the ebooks even set on largest print really looks like the small print size.Hmmm,very misleading.I would have thought thatr the print size would be the same sizwe as the 'word" in the menu section.
Hope this makes sense.
I think the base font size is determined by the epub file and the kobo will just go up or down from there
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote