Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
denniswiser
denniswiser began at the beginning.

Device: prs950
Sony PRS-T1

Not sure if anyone else has caught this but you might want to wander over to Engadget and do a search on Sony PRS-T1. Not much info but its a start.
denniswiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Thanks & I saw it at another news link too. Speculation is that the August release is a real possibility.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Personally, I'm not sure what Sony can bring to the PRS line that I actually need (speaking from owning a PRS-350). I already think the interface is really good, there are no new screens (at least from eInk, none that I know of) that Sony can use. The only thing basically, in my mind, that they can do is redo the OS and interface and use a faster processor (and wifi...), which would not make me let go of my PRS-350...

But...

I *am* curious
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Personally, I'm not sure what Sony can bring to the PRS line that I actually need ...
How about user-replaceable batteries!
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
But that would cause them to give up planned obsolescence! I think they learned that marketing plan from Detroit.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
And solar charging.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
The PRS-900 was one model that had a replaceable battery. Sony was quick to stop making them once they moved on to new models (sound familiar?). Given the battery life of these devices, I never felt the need to carry a spare although I did purchase one during the closeout.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What Sony could bring to the T1 and is bringing to the T1 is wifi. Also, Sony could bring the latest version of ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
... there are no new screens (at least from eInk, none that I know of) that Sony can use. ...
There is a higher resolution screen out (the one that is used in the iRiver Story HD).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
The PRS-900 was one model that had a replaceable battery. Sony was quick to stop making them once they moved on to new models (sound familiar?). Given the battery life of these devices, I never felt the need to carry a spare although I did purchase one during the closeout.
The one good thing about the sony prs-950.650 and 350 is that they are still easy to take apart and replace the batteries on your own. The new kobo and nook seem like they will be a pain to get into.

Last edited by Tony1988; 08-02-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
akais
akais began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st gen., Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony Prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
The new kobo and nook seem like they will be a pain to get into.
The Nook Simple Touch seems to be pretty easy to get open. Here is a link to A cracking open slide show.
akais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There is a higher resolution screen out (the one that is used in the iRiver Story HD).
Thanks for that, I completely missed it!
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
Sony really needs to connect up their ebook store to their e-readers so people can buy content right off of the device. This would help new people to e-readers jump through less hoops (digital editions, buying from the store, etc)
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
Sony really needs to connect up their ebook store to their e-readers so people can buy content right off of the device. This would help new people to e-readers jump through less hoops (digital editions, buying from the store, etc)
I believe that this can be done on the PRS 950.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the T1 is 6", then that is what Sony is doing as the T1 has wifi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote