Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ade extra stylesheets & page layouts

i recently liberated a couple of free-to-buy books ( in order to tweak) that contained "professional" styling courtesy of Adobe.

easily recognised as they have 2 stylesheet links per page with lots of what seems to be boiler plate styles for everything possible on the extra stylesheet.

now to my eyes the extra styling just looks bad on an e-reader device. the body text is surrounded by big margins on all sides and in at least one case it is also aligned left, not justified. thus lots of wasted white space on the reader screen. Chapter title styling is of baroque complexity

is there a case FOR styling like this & I'm just not used to it, or is it really intended only for printed editions & left in due to publisher laziness ?

PS the extra stylesheet is called called page-template.xpgt. do all ADE books contain this & is it the same in every book ?

(I zap the extra stylesheet link with find/replace - it only seems to control page borders, then re-run through calibre to add sensible @page defaults everywhere )

Last edited by cybmole; 04-19-2011 at 01:38 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Not all ADE books contain this stylesheet. It is used to override certain styles to make it compensate some quirks of the ADE engine. However, I usually remove the page-template.xpgt. I absolutly don't like it and therefore will not use it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Not all ADE books contain this stylesheet. It is used to override certain styles to make it compensate some quirks of the ADE engine. However, I usually remove the page-template.xpgt. I absolutly don't like it and therefore will not use it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Funslinger
Funslinger began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i recently liberated a couple of free-to-buy books ( in order to tweak) that contained "professional" styling courtesy of Adobe.

easily recognised as they have 2 stylesheet links per page with lots of what seems to be boiler plate styles for everything possible on the extra stylesheet.

now to my eyes the extra styling just looks bad on an e-reader device. the body text is surrounded by big margins on all sides and in at least one case it is also aligned left, not justified. thus lots of wasted white space on the reader screen. Chapter title styling is of baroque complexity

is there a case FOR styling like this & I'm just not used to it, or is it really intended only for printed editions & left in due to publisher laziness ?

PS the extra stylesheet is called called page-template.xpgt. do all ADE books contain this & is it the same in every book ?

(I zap the extra stylesheet link with find/replace - it only seems to control page borders, then re-run through calibre to add sensible @page defaults everywhere )
What's wrong with left aligned text? I much prefer it to justified text. With justified text, the spacing between words differs from line to line. I find it much more pleasing to have a constant flow to the text rather than having to read out to the right margin every line because of extraneous spacing between words.

Justified text is really only necessary for multi-column pages where the right margin of the first column looks better if it is lined up vertical against the left margin of the second column. Other than that, justification is a joke.
Funslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funslinger View Post
What's wrong with left aligned text? I much prefer it to justified text. With justified text, the spacing between words differs from line to line. I find it much more pleasing to have a constant flow to the text rather than having to read out to the right margin every line because of extraneous spacing between words.

Justified text is really only necessary for multi-column pages where the right margin of the first column looks better if it is lined up vertical against the left margin of the second column. Other than that, justification is a joke.
different users, different preferences - I spent some time googling the topic when I made the earlier post - readability studies were inconclusive; I think that the majority preferred fully justified ( I know I do) as that is what paperbacks use.

anyway it is easy to change the stylesheet to suit your tastes. and current versions of calibre can remove all the extra css crap via an epub to epub conversion
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This ducks tired eyes prefers
text-align: justified: ;margin-top: .5em ; text-indent: 1.5 to 2 em;
for basic paragraphs.
All else is open to whim (and I do vary it widely)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

I tried 0.5 em para spacing, then switched first to 0.3 & then to 0.1, with 1em indents. I guess I don't much care for white space :-)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
different users, different preferences - I spent some time googling the topic when I made the earlier post - readability studies were inconclusive; I think that the majority preferred fully justified ( I know I do) as that is what paperbacks use.

anyway it is easy to change the stylesheet to suit your tastes. and current versions of calibre can remove all the extra css crap via an epub to epub conversion
We set almost all our books to left-justified, for the simple reason that then the user reading the book can choose what s/he wants. If, on the other hand, you set it to full-justification, most reading devices can't/won't override that. I'd rather give readers the choice than not.

We use the xpgt in some books, depending upon what is required. The only "absolute" in ebook-making should be that there should be no absolutes.

FWIW.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
We set almost all our books to left-justified, for the simple reason that then the user reading the book can choose what s/he wants. If, on the other hand, you set it to full-justification, most reading devices can't/won't override that. I'd rather give readers the choice than not.
Same here. But I just leave out the justification setting/directive (except for any center-, right-aligned, or other special circumstances) entirely. Choice is good.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
We set almost all our books to left-justified, for the simple reason that then the user reading the book can choose what s/he wants.
FWIW.
Hitch
you mean over-ride the justification settings just with e-reader device controls - can some e-readers can do that ?

If my Sony can, then it's news to me !
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
you mean over-ride the justification settings just with e-reader device controls - can some e-readers can do that ?
More and more all the time. Either through built-in preferences/features or "hacks"... readers are being quite clear that they like having it their way.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Same here. But I just leave out the justification setting/directive (except for any center-, right-aligned, or other special circumstances) entirely. Choice is good.

Yabbut, if you don't set it to left, various readers (and, no, I don't remember the whole list off the top of my head) will default to full, and I have some vague recollection (ah, senility) that this caused a problem somewhere...

Can't remember where, though. Probably bloody Apple, by default. It's the usual suspect.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yabbut, if you don't set it to left, various readers (and, no, I don't remember the whole list off the top of my head) will default to full, and I have some vague recollection (ah, senility) that this caused a problem somewhere...

Can't remember where, though. Probably bloody Apple, by default. It's the usual suspect.

Hitch
You've put way more ebooks on way more devices than I have... so I'll take your word for it that there's a good reason you do it the way you do.