Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Kindle Keyboard - A year+ of moderate-to-heavy use, no noticeable decline in performance or battery life.

Sony T-1 - Same.

If that many of his customers are telling him the same thing... is he actually seeing the devices for himself? I ask because there's a phenomenon I've seen that tends to occur with the "next gen" upgrade cycle, which is usually one year. Suddenly perfectly good devices aren't quite good enough anymore and one might start to convince oneself that they need a new one because the old one isn't up to par. The shiny has worn off, and the new ones look so yummy! I've done this myself, though I usually stop short of actually buying the new one.

Or maybe he's trying to get back at his boss, because what he's saying is not going to help sales.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I had a Kindle 3 since 2011. I now use a Paperwhite which I love and gave my daughter my Keyboard Kindle. It still works perfectly for her. My sister bought a Kindle 3 before I got mine and she too upgraded and passed the old one on to her daughter. And yes, that Kindle 3 is also working perfectly.

I took out an extended guarantee with my new ereader which will cover it for three years, so I have no fears in that area.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't know where he got his info. My 1st Kindle Keyboard did die after a year, but it was because I'd dropped it and the screen substrate had broken, not because of a failure of the unit itself. If I hadn't dropped it I imagine that it'd still be going strong. It's 1st replacement only lasted a month or so, but that was because the software got messed up somehow, so again that wasn't a physical failure on the part of the unit.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And I've lost track of how old my 505 is but it does get used for at least a couple of hours every day - more at weekends - and is still in fine order with a barely noticeable, slightly shorter battery life...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
ereaders
Enthusiast
ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereaders ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Kindle Keyboard - A year+ of moderate-to-heavy use, no noticeable decline in performance or battery life.

Sony T-1 - Same.

If that many of his customers are telling him the same thing... is he actually seeing the devices for himself? I ask because there's a phenomenon I've seen that tends to occur with the "next gen" upgrade cycle, which is usually one year. Suddenly perfectly good devices aren't quite good enough anymore and one might start to convince oneself that they need a new one because the old one isn't up to par. The shiny has worn off, and the new ones look so yummy! I've done this myself, though I usually stop short of actually buying the new one.

Or maybe he's trying to get back at his boss, because what he's saying is not going to help sales.
Since I have done some research and I started asking him tons of questions. The Sales/Tech may try to find something that would get me into believing in his story. By the way, he tried to sell me an extended warranty.
ereaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
All of my eink ereaders are still in great working order. The oldest one I have right now is a K2 from Feb 2009.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaders View Post
By the way, he tried to sell me an extended warranty.
Ah. That right there may explain it. Different stores have different policies, but if he's been instructed to deliver a number of warranty sales and / or gets paid commission for add-ons like that, that could be his motivation. If he convinces you that none will last for more than a year, "but for just $9.99 you can get a warranty that will cover if when it stops working properly"...

Yeah.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaders View Post
. By the way, he tried to sell me an extended warranty.
Well there you go then - he probably gets a commission when he sells an extended warranty and is trying to "scare" you into taking one out.

Edit: too slow
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've had my Sony PRS-T1 for a little over a year. I typically read at least 2 hours per day, more on weekends. It still runs the same as when it was new.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'd say he has no clue what he was talking about. My Kindle Keyboard I bought in Nov 2010 is still working like new. My Kindle Basic Silver was bought in Sept 2011 and works fine.

I expect my Kindle Paperwhite to last just as long. It's just I will probably upgrade to the next big thing when it comes along.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I bought an extended warranty for my Nook HD+ from square Trade. I did so because it covers me dropping it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I bought an extended warranty for my Nook HD+ from square Trade. I did so because it covers me dropping it.
Apache
I had one for my Kindle Keyboard but didn't need it. It expired last Christmas.

I also have one for my Samsung Galaxy Player 5 just for the same reason.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #28
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Same here, on my Sony T1. Totally worth the peace of mind. I rarely drop things, but I do sometimes sit on things.

But I really dislike the "techniques" that sales staff often use to sell add-on products and services. Probably why I buy most things online. Just tell me if a warranty is available, how much it costs, and let me say yes or no. I was at a store (Best Buy? I don't remember) buying a router once when I was living in Florida. I lost track of the stuff they tried to sell me. I came really close to just canceling the transaction and leaving, but I really needed it because our router had just failed.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #29
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
My Sony PRS-350 lasted well over three years with fairly heavy use before the battery died out. I was considering replacing the battery but found it impossible to remove and ended up deciding it wasn't worth the time, effort or cost.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #30
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I have a launch Kindle 3 Keyboard with fairly heavy use. Still works, but the battery is noticeably worse. Lasts about half as long as it used to, and it seems like it takes longer to charge
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote