Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Books in Kobo desktop are Kepubs and thus have the Kobo DRM, nothing to do with ADE.

You'll only be able to change sync settings if you have your Kobo device plugged in and mounted, and the Kobo desktop has to recognise it. You go to the Library in your Kobo desktop app. You only have to mouse-over a book cover. No clicking, no right clicking. When you mouse over, you'll see some icons appear in the top right of the cover of that book. You can click those icons to tell the syncing what to do with that book.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Thanks. I have emailed Kobo support about the error trying to open these kepubs.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I expect the advice will be to lough out of the desktop and back into it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I already have the Kobo desktop 3.2.0. I have one book showing in the Kobo desktop library. In the website this book is in the "I'm Reading" list. All my other Kobo books are in the Trash list (I've previously deleted them to move them to Trash so they do not get downloaded.
That is good and is expected.
Quote:
Now in Kobo desktop, the one book I have there has a little purple bookmark. How to I stop it from synchronising to the device (it is not obvious)? If I right click the book I have options to Open, View Details, or Delete from Library. I think the latter will remove it completely.
The purple bookmark indicates the book has been opened.

The synchronising options are only there when a device is connected. I just had a look at it and my Glo and I think I made a mistake earlier.

I was thinking that when you purchased books that the book wasn't actually synced the next time. I was thinking that a record was synced, but you had to select the book to actually download it. Checking the last couple of books I bought, this isn't the case. Both of them have been downloaded.

I cant remember if I have tried this, but I think the method to prevent the kepub getting to the device is to delete it from your library on the site as soon as you purchase it. That should work. You could also do this using the app, without the device connected to the PC. That will mean the book is downloaded to the PC and then deleted. I think I have tried this in the past, but don't remember for sure. I can't try it again until I buy another book. I might try it with a free book later.
Quote:
Edit: if I try to Open the book I get "We are unable to display the selected content". It may be locked or corrupt". I guess something is broken regarding the DRM and my ADE id. Now I am stuck!
Where are you getting this error? In the desktop app or on the device? And are you opening an epub or a kepub? The kepubs do not use the ADE id. The fix for them is to force a download. Delete the book on the device and then go to the site and bookmark it. If it is an epub, then you need to put the book onto the device using ADE or remove the DRM first.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-03-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: To slow, but I'll leave it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #20
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I normally delete books in my library on the web site as soon as I buy them, and download via the Adobe DRM button, then side-load using Calibre (after some reformatting). But I thought I would give kepubs ago, but it is not pretty (so far).

The Kobo web site seems to work like this:

Book in Purchased list->Bookmark button->book is moved to I'm Reading list. Only books in I'm Reading list will be downloaded when synchronising.
Book in I'm Reading list or Purchased list->Delete button->book is moved to Trash list.
Book in Trash list->Undelete button->book is moved to the list it was deleted from (I'm Reading or Purchased).
Once a book has moved from the Purchased list to the I'm Reading list there does not seem to be any way to move it back to Purchased.

I get the Content Locked error in the Kobo desktop app (PC); the device can open book OK. These are kepubs. I have downloaded a kepub to the desktop app that has never been downloaded to the app before--I get the error. This is without syncing to the device. When I sync the device the book is copied over and opens OK on the device. But the Kobo desktop app is still unable to open the book (Content Locked error). I now have 3 kepubs showing in my library in the Kobo desktop app; all 3 books get the error when I try to open them in the desktop app, but strangely whenever I open the Kobo desktop app one of the 3 books is also opened in a tab, but with blank pages. I can go to the ToC and see the chapters, and I have the page turn arrow buttons, but where there should be text is a big blank. I have rebooted my PC and the problem persists.
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
ShellShock
Wizard

I have got rid of the Content Locked error in the Kobo desktop app by uninstalling the app (which seems to remove everything, software and user data, the whole lot). I then re-installed, had to re-enter my username and password, then it resynced and downloaded my I'm Reading list from Kobo. It is now tickety-boo.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Glad you got it working
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The Kobo web site seems to work like this:

Book in Purchased list->Bookmark button->book is moved to I'm Reading list. Only books in I'm Reading list will be downloaded when synchronising.
Book in I'm Reading list or Purchased list->Delete button->book is moved to Trash list.
Book in Trash list->Undelete button->book is moved to the list it was deleted from (I'm Reading or Purchased).
Once a book has moved from the Purchased list to the I'm Reading list there does not seem to be any way to move it back to Purchased.
I hadn't seen the difference in the undelete action as I think I had only deleted from I'm Reading. And the only way I can see to remove from I'm Reading but not Purchased is to download it to the device or desktop application and delete from there.

And glad to see you solved the DRM problem. It might have worked to sign out in the app and sign in again. That should force a new download of the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote