Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #91
webe
webe began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Text as an Image.
Once it is placed into the Image, it is part of the image.
only OCR can help
I read that you can put a text-file IN an image-file; the image can still be read as image without showing the text-file. Some use this method to hide it for curious eyes.
webe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #92
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by webe View Post
I read that you can put a text-file IN an image-file; the image can still be read as image without showing the text-file. Some use this method to hide it for curious eyes.
Comments metadata are are option to JPG file, but they don't have any connect to what actually is displayed. You would have to still regenerate the file from the original sources (assuming the image edit was not easy)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #93
webe
webe began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
hi,

i solved my 'little problem'. I re-made my background image with a bigger bubble, adapted my margins, font-sizes and inserted the title-tag.
An example of the result attached.

Thanks kiwidude and others for your response.

webe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example2_cover.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	71021  
webe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #94
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Love this!

There are two things I would like to be able to do and the functionality may already be there.

1. I would like to automatically be able to add the book description in the comments section.

2. There was an earlier request for this, automatically adding the book's current cover as the default image. I'm not sure if this was done or not.

I'm simply looking to keep the book's current cover while adding the description beneath it.

I've been wanting to do something like this since I first started using calibre over a year ago. I haven't looked on the boards for a while due to work demands. Thanks again for creating this plugin!
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:19 AM   #95
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi lisa.m,

The problem as I discussed previously with trying to generate based on embedding an existing cover is that you only get "one shot at it". As soon as you generate the cover, the existing cover is replaced. Which means you would have to download/extract it again or copy it from wherever you made a backup if you remembered to in the situation where you decide you want to tweak it further if you don't like how it looks. Dwanthny's solution to this was to manually temporarily add the image to the list of cover images and then generate.

As for comments - you should be able to do this already with the custom text field by putting {comments} as the field. However I would be very careful about doing this - if your comments are longer than a couple of lines I would not be surprised if the plugin melts down. Drawing large amounts of text isn't really a strong point of the library and will be unreadable I would have thought.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #96
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Great! The {comments} command worked perfectly, no breakdown even for a lengthier description.

I don't mind the idea of having "one shot" at the cover. The way I am importing the cover is only giving me one shot anyway, I'd like to cut out the additional steps. It's easy enough to download the cover again as most of what I read are bestsellers and covers are always available.

If it is a lot of work, don't worry about it. If it is easy I'd love to try it.

Thank you again for a great plugin!
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #97
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.3.5 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add a special token to the list of images representing the current cover for the book to allow embedding
  • Abort autosize logic with replaced text when text is too large to fit so plugin does not lockup

@list.m - this should do what you wanted now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1_Configuration.png
Views:	549
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	72185  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #98
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Hi Kiwidude,

Generate Cover has stopped working for me. I'm getting an error message that leads to the following log:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.4
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.action", line 48, in generate_cover
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 879, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1071, in compare_current_with_saved
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1082, in compare_items
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

My Generate Cover.jsn file looks like this:

Spoiler:
{
"Current": {
"fonts": {
"series": {
"name": null,
"size": 24
},
"author": {
"size": 36
},
"custom": {
},
"title": {
"size": 46
}
},
"name": "ShortFantasy",
"fieldOrder": [
{
"name": "Title",
"display": true
},
{
"name": "Author",
},
{
"name": "Series",
},
{
"name": "Image",
},
{
"name": "Custom Text",
"display": false
}
],
"colorApplyStroke": false,
"swapAuthor": false,
"imageFile": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortFantasy.png",
"colors": {
"stroke": "#000000",
"border": "#000000",
"background": "#cbb193",
"fill": "#000000"
},
"fontsAutoReduced": false,
"backgroundImage": false,
"fontsLinked": false,
"margins": {
"text": 30,
"top": 10,
"left": 0,
"image": 10,
"bottom": 10
},
"borders": {
"coverBorder": 0,
"imageBorder": 0
},
"customText": "",
"size": [
]
},
"Files": [
"{Current Cover}",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverLongRomance.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortFantasy.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortHorror.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortMystery.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortRomance.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortSci-Fi.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortSports.png",
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortThriller.png",
"C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2\\resources\\images\\library.png"
],
"SchemaVersion": 1.35,
"SavedSettings": {
"ShortSF": {
},
},
},
}
},
"name": "ShortSF",
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
],
"bottom": 10,
"left": 0
},
"imageFile": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortSci-Fi.png",
"background": "#55ffff",
},
},
]
},
"ShortSciFi": {
},
},
},
}
},
"name": "ShortFantasy",
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
],
"imageFile": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortFantasy.png",
"background": "#cbb193",
},
"left": 0,
"bottom": 10
},
},
]
},
"ShortRomance": {
},
},
},
}
},
"name": "ShortRomance",
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
],
"imageFile": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortRomance.png",
"background": "#f7a5e1",
},
},
},
]
},
"{Default}": {
},
},
},
}
},
"name": "{Default}",
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
],
"imageFile": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortSci-Fi.png",
"background": "#ffffff",
},
"fontsLinked": true,
},
},
]
},
"ShortMystery": {
},
},
},
}
},
"name": "ShortMystery",
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
},
{
}
],
"imageFile": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Gary\\Application Data\\calibre\\resources\\images\\generate_cover\\ CalibreCoverShortMystery.png",
"background": "#f7f6c0",
},
},
},
]
}
}
}

It's gone a little wonky in the past, but an update usually cures it. This time... not so much.

Any help greaty appreciated.

UPDATE: Sorry!

Last edited by Gary_M_Mugford; 06-03-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #99
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

You might want to edit your post to put that in a SPOILER tag

I will push a new version shortly which should get you up and running. It is because your font(s) have been set to DEFAULT and I can't have tested that for a long long time it seems.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #100
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.3.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Bug fix for fonts being set to "Default" resulting in null in config file causing an error
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #101
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Bug fix for fonts being set to "Default" resulting in null in config file causing an error
Kiwidude,

Sorry, still no fun. The error log after upgrading to 1.3.6 follows:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.4
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.action", line 48, in generate_cover
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 879, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 1071, in compare_current_with_saved
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

I wondere if editing the JSON file to eliminate the last used cover (ssFantasy) might be a worthwhile exercise.

GM

UPDATE: Yes, deleting the sections and restarting calibre succeeds. One more piece of information. Each time I pick Fantasy, then switch to something else on another short story, it asks me if I want to save or discard changes in the fantasy book. The dialog doesn't show up if I continue picking fantasy. It only asks when I switch AWAY from Fantasy. FWIW.

Last edited by Gary_M_Mugford; 06-04-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #102
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

The nagging over saving changes when switching happens for two reasons. The first is if you have made a genuine change to the setting, which is the desired behaviour. The second is where due to a long ago version upgrade you are missing a subsetting in one of your saved profiles. The solution to this is to go through each of your profiles, change some setting, click save, then change the setting back and click save again.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #103
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The nagging over saving changes when switching happens for two reasons. The first is if you have made a genuine change to the setting, which is the desired behaviour. The second is where due to a long ago version upgrade you are missing a subsetting in one of your saved profiles. The solution to this is to go through each of your profiles, change some setting, click save, then change the setting back and click save again.
Kiwidude,

I opted to try and delete all the existing books because of cross-confusion. On a couple, including fantasy, I had pressed save from the first tab. I believe my sequence probably screwed things up from the start. I found I could delete all but two of them. They generated an error:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.8.4
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>KeyError</b>:u'ShortHorror'

File "calibre_plugins.generate_cover.dialogs", line 359, in remove_setting
KeyError: u'ShortHorror'

I just left them there and proceded to create a brand-new set of covers, following the same procedure. ADD, give it a new name (starting with an underscore), selected an image from the list, then to the Fonts tab and changed background colour and raised or lowered one font size. Then I selected SAVE from that tab. Went back to Settings tab and repeated the rinse and wash cycle. Took about three minutes. And everything seems to work.

One request, I had a bunch of my old bridge columns to do covers for and I discovered after the fact that I could multi-select and hit the button. Most excellent. But it took a while to process the 65 covers in that lot. At least I thought it did. In reality, I was still focused on the Generating 65 covers message in the lower left, rather than the jobs flasher in the bottom right. Dunnnh! Is is possible to clear that message when finished?

Thanks again for all of your help. GM
Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #104
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Gary,

I've taken another look at your config file you posted. Some things inside it have got out of sync with each other.

For instance you had your "{Current}" setting set to a setting called "ShortFantasy". However there is no "ShortFantasy" saved setting. Instead there is one stored as "ShortSciFi" that has a "name" value of "ShortFantasy". The key and the name should all be the same.

Once the config file gets messed up, it is unsurprising you then have issues with trying to save/remove config items as per the subsequent errors you got.

As for the status message hanging around, what I have done is replaced the cover generation with a progress dialog, like I do for Quality Check etc. So that will give you better feedback.

To fix your config file, close calibre, open the config file and then look for the line that says "SavedSettings". In all the sections that follow that, it should have things that look like this:
Code:
"SavedSettings": {
    "ShortSF": {
        ... may be some stuff...
        "name": "ShortSF"
    },
Make sure that for all of these that the values in red match for each of your saved settings. Be careful that you are within the right setting. If you want me to fix it for you just attach it to a post here and I will do it.

As to why it got in that state, I can't replicate it. I don't know how long ago you created that "ShortFantasy" or "ShortSciFi" settings, but perhaps it was with an old version that has since had the problem fixed. Get your config file sorted out, then try again.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #105
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.3.7 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Use a progress dialog while generating covers