Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
goOpen
goOpen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Connect to 802.1x WPA-EAP (PAP) network

Hello there!
I'm a new and happy user of the Pocketbook Pro 912 with the latest firmware (2.1.3).
I'm now trying to connect to my university's network (eduroam). The GUI does not really succeed in doing it, what I find on google, though, is to try wpa_supplicant. Unfortunately I cannot see it in the filesystem so I'm not sure if this way still applies or if somehow the network.cfg file is the right place to go.

What I need, basically is to connect to a network like that one (from my ubuntu network-manager file):

[connection]
id=eduroam
uuid=##############
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
ssid=eduroam
mode=infrastructure
mac-address=##########
security=802-11-wireless-security

[802-1x]
eap=ttls;
identity=######@uva.nl
phase2-auth=pap
password=#######

[ipv4]
method=auto

[802-11-wireless-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-eap
auth-alg=open

Anyone a clue?

Thank you very much in advance!
goOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
mimble
mimble began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by goOpen View Post
I'm a new and happy user of the Pocketbook Pro 912 with the latest firmware (2.1.3).
I'm now trying to connect to my university's network (eduroam). The GUI does not really succeed in doing it, what I find on google, though, is to try wpa_supplicant. Unfortunately I cannot see it in the filesystem so I'm not sure if this way still applies or if somehow the network.cfg file is the right place to go.
[... lots deleted ...]
Are you sure the GUI will not do it ?
In the GUI, select eduroam.
Enter your name (with the domain name) and password.

On my pocketbook 912 with firmware 2.1.2, the device correctly recognises WPA/WPA2 Enterprise as the security type. Does yours ? If so, it means he knows to use the wpa_supplicant.
Go to "test connection".
When the connection fails, do not click "OK". Click on "details".
This is pretty informative. What does it tell you ?

I have not found how to teach the pocketbook about a root security certificate, but I am not sure if it is necessary.

Mine is failing when he tries to get a DHCP lease.
mimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
goOpen
goOpen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Thank you for the hint to look up the details !
Yeah, You're right, it hangs on the dhcp lease.
("sending discover..." 8x and then "no lease, failing")
What can I do about it?

Thanks again!
goOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
mimble
mimble began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by goOpen View Post
Yeah, You're right, it hangs on the dhcp lease.
("sending discover..." 8x and then "no lease, failing")
What can I do about it?
Aaah. Sorry. That, I do not know, but here is an experiment which will not put a smile on your face.
Try to connect with your best guess at the configuration, look at the details and see that the pocketbook fails to get a lease with the udhcpc command.

Now, change your username to something silly, so you know authentication will not work. Read the details after trying to "test network". They look exactly the same. In other words, the problem could be absolutely anywhere in the authentication, configuration process. The fact that it fails getting a lease just means something indeterminate is unhappy.

If this was really important, one could find one of the packages to get root on the system and poke around in /var/etc/spa_supplicant.conf, or perhaps see if there are any other utilities which provide better diagnostics.
mimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The file /tmp/netagent.log has details about making the connection (although it may be the same as what you see in the "details" box). You don't need root to look at it, just a shell or a program to copy it to somewhere accessible. You can install the poterm application to get a local shell, or you can write your own shell-script application to copy known files over to the SD card or exported internal memory. For example, the application can look like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
cp /tmp/netagent.log /mnt/ext1/
cp /var/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf /mnt/ext1
dmesg > /mnt/ext1/dmesg
Just call it some name with ".app" on the end and put it in the applications/ directory. Then you can execute it from the Applications tab.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert