Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
qweezz
qweezz began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Built-in dictionary + convenience in usage - ipad = ?

Hi

I'm not an english native speaker, but I like reading english books. To get pleasure from reading I need a good built-in dictionary and a convenience way to use it easily. Now I'm using ipad + built-in english-russian dictionary, but the battery doesn't last long, maybe two - three days, 5-6 hours of reading per day. The way dictionary works on an ipad is very convenient for me.

So I'm looking for an e-reader with built-in dictionary and the most important - convenient way to use the dictionary (because sometimes there maybe be 10 unknown words on a page). I've read about look-up dictionaries in kindle/sony/nook (not sure)... ect. but I failed to find a video with examples of usage their dictionaries.
Are there e-readers that will suit my demands?
qweezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
For frequent dictionary usage *right now*, I would suggest looking at Kindle 2 or Sony 600 (if the screen glare doesn't bother you). If you can wait, Kindle 3 should be caught up to pre-orders in September, and Sony is supposed to be announcing new models in a few weeks.

I'm not as familiar with the PocketBook models, but they also offer custom dictionary options.

ETA: I don't recommend the Nook. Not only is the dictionary sparse, but looking up words is cumbersome.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 08-19-2010 at 10:18 AM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
qweezz

Welcome to mobileread ....

You may be able to find a dictionary in mobi format, in which case one of the Bookeen models will do fine, otherwise Pocketbook.

But that's the limit of my knowledge and others will no doubt recommend their readers ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
qweezz

I wonder if it is easy to use dictionary without touchscreen? Isn't it irritating?
Of course I can wait, but I'm trying to understand if there are devices (or coming soon) that fit my needs.

My ideal e-reader must have:
1. convenient built-in dictionary (at least or at max the ability to use custom dictionaries)
2. a big screen, from 7" and higher up to 10-11"
3. long battery life

I don't need music, video, web (just to buy books and that's all), mail on my e-reader.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I would say that the K3 fits your needs, save it has a 6' screen, so then I would recommend the DX.

The dictionary is very easy to use, just use the joystick and move it in front of the word, and a definition appears at the bottom of the page. The Kindle DX has a 9.7 inch screen, the same size as the Ipad. The battery can go up to two weeks between charges. The k3 is slated to have a battery that will last a month long.

Both of the latest generation kindles have the latest e-ink screen technology, Pearl, a significant improvement over the previous generation Vizplex.

Hope this helped!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Well, now that you mention a larger screen, then you should look at the Kindle DX Graphite.

Here is an in-depth look at the dictionary feature of the Kindles:

http://www.youtube.com/v/pxkCELCrQ_A

The other bonus for you to own a Kindle would be to sync page placement between the oPad and the Kindle.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
You may like to wait for... 2 weeks now (TOO LONG! At least for me ) because Pocketbook is launching big models with the same screen size as the iPad, and they have a convenient way to use dictionaries (pointing at the word with a stylus). Let's hope they improve the access to dictionaries, but if that's fulfilled, Pocketbook's new models are worth seeing.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
You may like to wait for... 2 weeks now (TOO LONG! At least for me ) because Pocketbook is launching big models with the same screen size as the iPad, and they have a convenient way to use dictionaries (pointing at the word with a stylus). Let's hope they improve the access to dictionaries, but if that's fulfilled, Pocketbook's new models are worth seeing.
Do you have a link to the announcement?
I'm currently researching all the large screen readers on the market. So far I thought the decision is going to be between the Kindle DX Graphite and the new Sony to come (if it will be large enough). I'm happy to hear that there are other large screen ereaders on the horizon.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Do you have a link to the announcement?
I'm currently researching all the large screen readers on the market. So far I thought the decision is going to be between the Kindle DX Graphite and the new Sony to come (if it will be large enough). I'm happy to hear that there are other large screen ereaders on the horizon.

I've found this one http://ereaderguide.info/pocketbook9...der_review.htm
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have a small discussion of the device here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92078
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
qweezz, I would also suggest to wait until new PocketBook models are announced if you are looking for a big screen reader.
All PocketBook readers come with a pre-installed Eng-Rus dictionary and allow you to install customized dictionaries. You can find a few very good Eng-Rus and other disctionares on the the-ebook.org forums and if you ever decide to read a book in Russian, PocketBook supports it naturally.
The dictionary on all current PocketBook models are very easy to use and PB302 with the touch screen offers the most convenient way for using a dictionary.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
qweezz

simplyparticular thank you for the link

Is the difference between KindleDX and Kindle3 wifi-only in size of the screen and battery life? Isn't 6" screen too small?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Quote:
You have a small discussion of the device here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92078
Thanks.

Sad to hear it won't be using the new eInk Pearl.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa

That's only for AmaSony models
Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qweezz View Post
simplyparticular thank you for the link

Is the difference between KindleDX and Kindle3 wifi-only in size of the screen and battery life? Isn't 6" screen too small?
It ddepends on what you will be reading. If you're just reading novels, the six inch will suit just fine... that is unless you'd like to make the text size HUGE, for whatever reason... for example, I have pretty bad eyes, and the DX allows me to put the text size up really big while having a good amount of text on the screen.

Screen size and battery (and of course the kdxg doesnt have wifi, only 3g) are the only differences.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, lookup