Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #31
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I would like better PDF support, and (i know some of you will hate this) colour. I download cardmaking blogs RSS feeds via Calibre and the pictures in colour would be fabulous.
I agree - I'd love colour and there are many things I read which would benefit. But I'd only want colour if it didn't compromise the quality of the screen in any way.

I also wouldn't want colour if that meant the battery cycle went down dramatically because of it. I always get naffed off at having to charge my iPhone daily.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #32
alpha03
alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alpha03 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I like my kindle as it is but I would like to be able also to read my ebooks at night without light.
alpha03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
I'd like to be able to view the meta data for each book.
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #34
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
How about better sealing between the screen and the bezel? Mine is constantly getting little pieces of hair wedged in there and it is a pain to remove them.

Maybe some kind of built in latch mechanism on the back to allow more secure attachment to a case (or other attachments such as a strap).

Small trackpad or rollerball instead of the 5-way rocker for better cursor movement)

Louder speakers. I use the auto-read feature in the car and it isn't nearly loud enough. I have to hold it next to my head. Either that or add bluetooth support so you can use wireless headphones.

The printing on the keys needs to be molded through the keys rather than just silk screened on the top. I imagine Amazon is taking A TON of Kindles back due to rubbed off printing.

Allow us to turn 3g off and leave wifi on for better battery life.

I agree with Desert Grandma that a strap on the back would be nice, but I think it should be best left up to aftermarket accessories. My attachment idea on the back would be something that a strap accessory could attach to.

A gmail plug in app would be great. No one wants to go through their browser to check their email. A dedicated app would be much better and could be tailored to the specific strengths and weakness of the Kindle.

A RSS feed reader app that would sync your feeds automatically.

This, I think, would be the best idea...

How about establishing a Kindle 3 Web Page Standard so that web designers can say that their page is "Kindle web browser compliant". Kindle could verify this and then have a web portal that has links to all kindle friendly web pages. Of course they probably won't do this because they don't want to increase that "free" 3g usage.

Last edited by el_brio; 10-13-2010 at 09:33 AM.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #35
el_brio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I would like better PDF support, and (i know some of you will hate this) colour. I download cardmaking blogs RSS feeds via Calibre and the pictures in colour would be fabulous.
Color is coming. Give it a couple years.
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #36
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't want to hack my Kindle. Call me silly and scared but I don't want to mess with it so the screensavers, sleep mode, and fonts are not an option for me. I would think that Amazon could look at what hacks are being developed and figure out what people want from those.

I am not worried about color. 99% of what I read is in black and white.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #37
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
While colour might be coming - would you rather 2~3 times the DPI (quality) of the screen, still in greyscale, or would you rather colour?

I for one would opt for greater resolution (300dpi) over colour at this moment, though obviously everyone has their preferred option.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #38
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_brio View Post
How about establishing a Kindle 3 Web Page Standard so that web designers can say that their page is "Kindle web browser compliant". Kindle could verify this and then have a web portal that has links to all kindle friendly web pages. Of course they probably won't do this because they don't want to increase that "free" 3g usage.
Don't forget that the 'Free' 3G is ideally funded by the purchase of books from the amazon store. I doubt amazon would want to encourage any other type of usage. That said, I would want the ability to download items from the dropbox mobile site and to be able to download anything I want, especially PDFs, when I'm on wifi.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think there are stores that you can buy books from using the browser and have them go directly to your Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #40
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
  • Remove forced margins from PDF viewer.
  • Fullscreen view for PDF viewer.
  • Spacebar and shift-spacebar acts as next/prev page turner when no other letters are entered, which is useful in landscape orientation.
Excellent points, as I read most PDF files (manuals) in landscape mode !
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #41
el_brio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
While colour might be coming - would you rather 2~3 times the DPI (quality) of the screen, still in greyscale, or would you rather colour?

I for one would opt for greater resolution (300dpi) over colour at this moment, though obviously everyone has their preferred option.
You will get both, sooner or later. Color, higher definition, faster refresh rate. Sooner of later you will be able to buy laptops with an eink screen. It may take 15 years, but sooner or later it will happen, unless e-ink is supplanted by a superior tech.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
How about better sealing between the screen and the bezel? Mine is constantly getting little pieces of hair wedged in there and it is a pain to remove them....
Add that to my list as well. Norton doesn't go near the Kindle, but I'm always picking his hairs out of that area.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #43
el_brio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Add that to my list as well. Norton doesn't go near the Kindle, but I'm always picking his hairs out of that area.
Norton is your husband I assume?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #44
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I'm not sure eInk in colour would work as well on a laptop, even with good refresh - the problem will be the dependence on environmental lighting.... I can imagine the outcry of all dark-loving geeks around the universe at needing to install broad-spectrum lighting. Still, it'll be a boon for the sunscreen and glasses market
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Norton is your husband I assume?
My wife's crazy dog!

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote