Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
Question What happens if a Kindle is lost, stolen or broken?

I am presently reading ebooks on a Motorola Q smart phone. Before that I used 2 or 3 Palms and a Palm Centro phone. All of the formats are ereader.com, whatever that is.

When I bought a new Palm or the Moto Q, I could go to ereader and re-download my books. It's like they kept the books for me after I bought them. I also have them on my computer.

Suppose I buy a Kindle, and I am looking for an ereader since reading runs the phone battery down quickly, if I break it, are my books still available for my download?

How about if I upgrade to a newer model Kindle, can I re-download the same books?

Ed
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
I am presently reading ebooks on a Motorola Q smart phone. Before that I used 2 or 3 Palms and a Palm Centro phone. All of the formats are ereader.com, whatever that is.

When I bought a new Palm or the Moto Q, I could go to ereader and re-download my books. It's like they kept the books for me after I bought them. I also have them on my computer.

Suppose I buy a Kindle, and I am looking for an ereader since reading runs the phone battery down quickly, if I break it, are my books still available for my download?

How about if I upgrade to a newer model Kindle, can I re-download the same books?

Ed
Yes.........any books you buy from Amazon are always available for free download to your device on your Amazon "manage your Kindle" account.

'course, if you take the precaution of liberating them, (illegal in some areas) you can back them up wherever you wish.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
The books you've purchased are yours. Yo can deregister and register up 6 different kindles (some ebooks are more restrictives and allow less).

That is, if you deregister your old one and register your new (or maintain both) you will be available your ebooks.

It happened to me: First I purchase a Kindle 2 and had some ebooks. Then I purchase a DX and automatically I had my old ebooks available to the new device.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoorman View Post
Books, yes. Periodicals, IIRC no.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's one of the main advantages of the Kindle imo, it takes care of your books for you. But as the other have mentioned, in addition to that it's worth busting the DRM and storing them on a home computer as well.

I don't trust Amazon so much after the whole 1984 debacle where they removed books from devices. If you don't have that additional DRM removed backup Amazon always has the ability to take your books back!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7223

Don't trust in the promises of corporations. See above.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote